Post by sjduffers » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:22 pm

:up :up :up

[There were 3 best shots after all] :lolz
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Not a lot to choose from this month but with 6 days left, my guess is the chip in on #18 for birdie will stand up.

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:16 pm

I don't have these too often it seems. The 18th hole at this course is my nemesis, really the only true hard hole on the course. Long, tough fairway to hit with a really tough two tiered green with a very sharp slope between tiers. If the flag is on the bottom tier, a shot to up top is hosed - nearly impossible to get a ball that hits the slope to stop within 5-8 feet of the hole.

Decent drive to about 180 yards to a bottom tier pin. Haven't been hitting my long clubs well but hit a nice hybrid to the green. First thought was that I was pleased to hit the green. 2nd thought was "oh crap" as the ball is rolling to the top tier and I'm hosed. 3rd thought was "oh boy" as the ball went up the slope, paused, and then slowly started rolling to the hole. 1.5 feet for tap in birdie.

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 am

Nice one G!
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:11 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:16 pm
... 2nd thought was "oh crap" as the ball is rolling to the top tier and I'm hosed. 3rd thought was "oh boy" as the ball went up the slope, paused, and then slowly started rolling to the hole. 1.5 feet for tap in birdie.
:up
Nice! And we golfers think we always get the bad breaks. This proves that only 99% of the time are the bounces bad.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:03 pm

IMG_5920.jpg
IMG_5920.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 131 times
Here is the best shot anyone has hit this whole month. This is a very long and exceptionally narrow par 5 at Silver Lake. I laid up to right behind this tree, near the 150 marker. At first I debated whether to chip out or else just go for it, aim directly at the OB all along the right and attempt a very low, hot hook 4i to get to the green. This is winter golf, I am playing for nothing except fun and pride. So what reasonable argument could be made for playing safe? The cost of a lost golf ball is all I can think of, and that's a bullshit argument. I kept repeating that dopey line from Ivan Drago in "Rocky IV" or whatever. If he dies, he dies. On the downswing though I was scared, I felt fear. Man I released the club face so hard through impact, it felt like. Contact was flush but I could hardly bear to look. Slowly I walked around the tree, and saw a hot grounder seeking the flag. It stopped at the fringe, almost pin high, 20-25' away. I stood near the divot for a long time just trying to understand. I hate the word amazing, it is way overused, but I was amazed in that moment. They say you should visualize and be confident and shit but I didn't really do either. Just tried my best to setup for the required shot and then to release the club hard. If there was anything exemplary about what I did it was not giving a crap about losing the ball. I think most lousy golfers are capable of crazy shit on the golf course, if we are just willing to go for it.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:39 pm

yeah that is normally when I smash a line drive into that beige house.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am

Inspiring! Thank you.

I only played twice in December (1st and 2nd). My final (??) round of 2018 was full of highs and lows, especially the second nine. I got to #18 (a tricky par 5) and managed to get myself to 150 yards away, lying two. A small gale was blowing directly into my face, it was cold and I was tired. The lie was iffy (wet turf and sort of muddy). The green was well bunkered. I needed to get on the green in regulation to assure a final 2018 round in the 70's. I managed to muster up one last solid swing and struck the ball extremely well. So well in fact, I was concerned it would fly the green. The wind and cold put a clamp on that possibility and the ball landed in the center of the green, leaving me a 20 footer for birdie. I was actually sort of disappointed as the shot was headed straight at the flag and it landed soft. Two putts later, 2018 was done (probably!). 77 78. Bring on 2019. ;)
Let's Play 36