Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

sjduffers

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 pm

MattF wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 pm
Nicely done @DougE .
I second that. Not only getting back in play but a tough bunker shot followed by a non-trivial putt to save the par. Well done! :thrust :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Pulled that one out of the fire. Very nice! :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:33 am

June is over and my fading memory makes selecting a shot from yesterday the easy out.

Hole #11 at Radrick Farms (semi-private course for University professors and staff) is an extremely uphill par-3. Light wind in our faces, maybe 7 mph. Middle of the green is 180 yards. Front hole location so maybe 170. Large deep bunkers guard the front. I hit a laser straight hybrid right on the flag. It hit the front of the green and stopped. I almost made the birdie putt from 15 feet. Tap in par was great for me.

Now I had a similar shot on #14 but very downhill (one hits from a high bluff) and probably 20 yards longer. I made the 15 footer for birdie. One might think the tee shot on 14 was better because of the final result. :nope Hitting downhill is so much easier, even taking into consideration a longer shot. When you can't see the landing area, as with an uphill shot, it is hard. Plus it is harder to stop an uphill shot.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:06 pm

In the midst of my current funk the last two Sundays I have hit shots that Mrs. Bogey described as the best two shots she's seen me hit:

Last Sunday sliced my drive into medium rough on the adjacent fairway. Into a two club wind I hit a hybrid 170 yards over a clump of trees right at the flag and directly over a bunker onto the green, about 20 feet short of pin. Almost made the putt but easy par.

Yesterday on a very short par 4 I topped my tee shot (unmentionable words after topping). Ball stopped on a downhill slope about two feet from the hazard in deep grass - if it had gone another foot I wouldn't have a stance. Ball was sitting up a bit and I felt like I had a swing so I hit a 7i 155 over the hazard (probably 140-145 carry) onto the green. Two putt from 40 feet for par.

On these shots I'm committed. On other shots I need to be committed.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:34 pm

Patron silver at a pig roast on fathers day weekend.

Best, worst and only shot of the month.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:07 pm

I am not playing today so July is in the books. Unlike prior months, I played fairly well so there are a number of candidates. I am going to go with my 4th shot on the par 5 16th hole at Leslie Park yesterday (7/30).

My friends and I (8 handicap) play a best ball with a different partner every 6 holes. Points for High and Low scores. No points for ties. $2 a man per match. No strokes - scratch. Jim (6 handicap) and I had won the first 6 hole match and Fritz (4 handicap) and I won the 2nd match. Our 4th player, Marty (8 Handicap), was not having a great day so when he and I teamed up for the final six holes, I told him to stop thinking and just swing. It helped a bit and we took the lead against Fritz and Jim. We had a 1 point lead going into the 16th. On the tee, in an unusual bit of trash talking, I told the other team one of them was going to need to make eagle if they hoped to take the "low" point on the hole. Game on. I played the hole decently and my sand wedge approach put me 12 feet below the hole with an ever so slight right to left bend. Fritz parred and Marty was over the green and struggled to a bogey. We were now tied and awaiting the "low" point decision. Would they take 2 points and take the lead?

Jim was only 5 feet away but he was above the hole. So I got the first chance at birdie. I calmly rolled in my birdie putt - dead center. Jim eased his ball toward the hole but missed. Point for the good guys and a lead going into #17.

After my trash talking on the tee, I was happy I managed to back up my "mouth" with some solid play. I have hit better shots in July but none so timely. :yess

p.s. Unfortunately for team Brian/Marty, Fritz birdied #17 to tie up the match and then made a sand save par on #18 to offset his partner's blunder of hitting a shot against the OB fence. We ended up tied for match #3.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Early in the month but a great sequence today - pulled my drive left on 17. I was safely in the fairway but had a little tree trouble to get to the green. Hit a 9i bullet below the tree (guessing 50 feet) with enough spin to hold the green, pin high for easy two putt par. Then on 18 hit my only bad drive of the day. Got lucky and tree kicked it back into the edge of the fairway, but I was 206 from the flag when I would normally be 40 yards closer. Hit my FW to 3 feet for birdie.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Nice Phil. To three feet with a 3W is always special, even if your name is Tiger. Though yours is Phil, so it shouldn't surprise anyone. ;)

Speaking of 3Ws, I had a couple great ones myself last week. I made a slight change to my swing after my buddy Bernie pointed out that I was not getting as much depth in my backswing. I realized it might be true, so made a conscious effort to fix it. I did some specific stretches to address the problem then tried it out on the range with surprising results. Then when I went out to play a quick nine (back 9) to try it out on the course I could tell it was working for real.

After hitting my first 3W from the deck (2nd shot on the par 5 13th) with the newly-incorporated move from 290 yards out, dead straight, to 10 yards short of the green, I said out loud, "That might be the best and longest 3W I've ever hit! Thank you, Bernie!" Later on the par 5 18th, I had another 290 out, but uphill. I made the same swing with a 3W and said again, out loud, "No. THAT might be the best and longest 3W I have ever hit! Thank you again, Bernie." Literally two of my best ever. Unfortunately I ended up in the front bunker with that second shot. I don't think I have ever reached that far in the past. Never expected to come within 30 yards of it. The next day, the stretched muscle in my back was so inflamed, I could barely swing the club. Haven't played in 3 days. At least my elbow is getting a rest. I'll be doing some new stretches in the meantime to get that back muscle more ready for the new added depth in my swing.

FWIW, I also was longer with all my clubs with that swing. Got me in trouble more than once, but was so happy with the extra distance, I didn't care. If I can nail this new move down enough, so that I'm comfortable with it, watch out.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Posting a best shot twice in a month.

So last week I had the thrill of hitting a monster 5W on the par 5 #1 and came within 5 feet of the green. That shot had the benefit of some good roll to get that close. Today I thought I was 10-20 yards further from the green after my drive. The group on the green was taking their time, but they weren't on the front of the green and I zapped them at 236 yards so I hit away expecting that my very best shot, which would be last week's shot, would be 5-10 yards short of the green.

To say I hit it flush is a total understatement. Ball FLEW to the green and rolled to 12 feet from the hole, right among the group ahead. I rushed to the 2nd tee to apologize to them. The good news is that they were laughing and enjoying my shot. One of the guys said, "I could tell you were wanting to hit and I thought he should to ahead, I don't think he can reach the green from there." I assured them that I didn't think I could reach from there either. Bad news I missed the eagle putt but had an easy tap in bird.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:23 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:43 pm
...Bad news I missed the eagle putt but had an easy tap in bird.
Please, give me bad news like that! :thumbs
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:46 am

I doubt I will play tomorrow and I am working today. The month is over golfwise.

I just finished our three day Tournament near Torch Lake , MI. I played just okay. On the first day, I found myself in a fairway bunker 100 very uphill yards to the green. Hit a very solid wedge to 10 feet and made the putt for birdie.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:58 am

I turned JJ into a bluff and got KK to fold on a 8s7d4d9c2d board.

It's the best shot I took all month.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of November

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:12 am

I could probably name a shot in December, too. I will try to be optimistic, however, despite the long term weather picture for the Frozen Mitten. I will also spare everyone going back to September and October. Nope, today it is just about November.

Way back on 11/5, I played at my home course, Leslie Park. It was not a particularly nice day but the forecast was for a bit of snow and cold going forward. As it turned out, it was the last day Leslie was open in 2019.

I played a mediocre front nine with 6 bogeys for a 42. Sigh. It was all but certain I was not going to break 80.

I actually hit #10 green in regulation and 2-putted for par. A rare occurrence. By the 12th hole I had slid back into my poor form from the front nine and missed the green on #12,#13 and #14. In a small miraculous moment in the space-time continuum, I somehow 1-putted for par each time. I was getting very interested in the round but I knew I needed quite a bit of luck or inspiration to have a solid finish. Hit a solid drive on #14 and put my approach actually on the green 15 feet away. Drum roll ... I rolled in that putt for birdie. Shot of the Month, baby!! :yess I managed to scrap it around on the last three holes to finish 42/37. Why do I ever doubt myself?? DON'T ANSWER THAT!! :nope It was a rhetorical question.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Two shots come to my mind:

1. I chipped in / pitched in / wedged in from about 60 yards. Thinking about it it was probably the third longest shot I have holed. Thanks to a fubar drive, it was only for birdie. Of course in reality it was a pretty good but not great shot - just happened to roll in.

2. Yesterday's grumble - great shot from the moment I hit it from 115 yards, until it bounced 28 yards off the flagstick. Stick irked by that.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:11 pm

December 14 found me at my winter home, Fox Hills. The course was very firm so it was possible to get some fairly large rollouts. #9 on the "Lakes" is a short par 5 (450 yards) where the typical play is lay up short of the pond, hit a 2nd shot to inside 100 yards and wedge it close. I decided to let it rip and drove it into the narrow neck of land between the pond and a line of large spruce trees. I was probably a bit more than 200 yards out, hitting a blind shot to a bunkered green. I hit a solid fairway wood on a line that I thought was pretty good. Shot of the month if it got on the green. As I walked up to the green I couldn't see my ball and figured I was in a bunker. Nope! :nope I was on the green putting for eagle from 25 feet (which I missed and tapped in for birdie). Sort of felt like Tiger at that moment... okay, maybe more like a 20 year younger version of myself. ;)
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 am

Although January is not officially over, there is no conceivable way I will play golf before the month is done. So, shot of the month for January … my last round of January was on the 10th. I started the round on the very short first hole of the "Woodlands" nine. Decent drive left me about 100 yards to the middle with a very front hole location. I thought I hit my approach wedge the perfect distance but came up about 6 feet short of the green.

As I surveyed the chip shot, I told myself that it should be no problem getting it up & down since I did it the last time I had played the hole. In fact, I thought, I might just hole it. So I chipped and …
holed it. :yess

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
Let's Play 36

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 am

Chip in birdies are pretty sweet.
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month-February 2020

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 am

My last full shot of the marathon in FL. The "game" was what they called a "quota" game where one received points for bogey, par, birdie and eagle (gross). The leader was in my group. He led by 2 points and appeared to be ready for a bogey (worth 1 point) with his 2nd in a green side bunker. I had hit a good drive and had around 150 to the middle of the green. Naturally the hole was 6 feet from the back edge of the raised green. A bunker protected the hole location for short shots.

A birdie would get me 4 points and the win assuming Dave made bogey (which he ultimately did). I did not think I could carry the bunker and stop my shot on the little area around the hole location. I hit for the front area of the green, hoping to have a longish putt for the win. I pulled it a bit and was heading for the slope in front of the green that would take the ball into the bunker. Fortunately I had just enough to carry the slope and ended up in the back/middle of the green, 15 feet from the hole. :yess

Then I missed the putt. :facepalm :puke
Let's Play 36

DougE

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month-MARCH 2020

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:55 am

We're only 5 days into the month, but.....

Holed out from a greenside bunker for a bird Monday; hit a 3W approach (after a weak drive) to 3 feet from 212yds out in cold and wind for bird on Tueday; Flopped from right side of green, over a bunker, to short-sided pin and into hole for bird on Wednesday.
Pick one.

Today's Thursday. Can't wait to see what happens today!

bkuehn1952

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month-MARCH 2020

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:55 am
Today's Thursday. Can't wait to see what happens today!
Eagle!! :up
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:26 pm

This was back in February but I am still thinking about it so it must been good. Breezy day at Marine Park with Ms Beef. Par 3 8th hole here is very odd design and difficult. Psychologically it has always owned me. Where are you supposed to aim it?! 177 yards. I hit one of the highest 4-irons I've ever seen. After an eternity of hang time the ball hit the green like a sack. Truly magnificent.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 am

Well done @legitimatebeef . I haven't carried a 4 iron in a decade.

Here in the Locked Down Mitten, golf is on hiatus. So my March entry is the second shot on #6 at Stonebridge. Probably my last round for a while. It is a long par 3 playing dead into a 20+ mph wind. Trouble left and right but I somehow got the tee shot a few feet from the green. Up to that point I had made 5 bogeys in a row by thinning, chunking and three putting my way around the course. I told my buddy, "If I am going to get a birdie today, I need to chip in". I chipped and it went in. Tah Dah!
:yess
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 am

Happened at the Ely Homestead Club in Urbana, MD. I hit a full 7 iron from the rough, 70 yards out from behind my house--using an AlmostGolf ball--into a 1 gallon bucket which I'd set up near my garage. Nice little draw, over a small dogwood, no less, and into the hole bucket. My first ace ever! :yess

What do you mean that doesn't count?! :fk

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 am
Happened at the Ely Homestead Club in Urbana, MD. I hit a full 7 iron from the rough, 70 yards out from behind my house--using an AlmostGolf ball--into a 1 gallon bucket which I'd set up near my garage. Nice little draw, over a small dogwood, no less, and into the hole bucket. My first ace ever! :yess

What do you mean that doesn't count?! :fk
:nope

Almost Golf Ball = Almost Hole-in-One

Better luck next time.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:30 pm

I only played once in April so there is not a lot of great shots from which to choose. I am going to go with my opening drive at Green Oaks. I had not hit a golf ball in 39 days. The hole is fairly tight off the tee and decent length (395). I striped right down the middle, leaving me a mid-iron to the green (which I struck well and put pin high). Yes, hitting a solid drive on the first Post-Lockdown hole created a positive attitude that I maintained the entire round.
Let's Play 36