Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Post by CeeBee » Wed May 06, 2020 11:25 am

Played again yesterday and have to mention the shot I hit on hole 2. As a lefty this particular tee shot is not a friendly look. Uphill and tall pines down the right side along this slight dogleg right. Anything too long straight goes thru the dogleg into the trees left. My normal shot is a cut so I want to hug tree line on right.

Hit the first pine square about 100 yds. Ball dropped. 5i thru the trees to right of green under another tree. Bunker between ball and green. Hooded a lob wedge with the hopeful intent of hitting green and checking. It did and slow rolled to the hole. Birdie from hell.
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 am

CeeBee wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:25 am
Played again yesterday and have to mention the shot I hit on hole 2. As a lefty this particular tee shot is not a friendly look. Uphill and tall pines down the right side along this slight dogleg right. Anything too long straight goes thru the dogleg into the trees left. My normal shot is a cut so I want to hug tree line on right.

Hit the first pine square about 100 yds. Ball dropped. 5i thru the trees to right of green under another tree. Bunker between ball and green. Hooded a lob wedge with the hopeful intent of hitting green and checking. It did and slow rolled to the hole. Birdie from hell.
This is why mulligans and do-overs, or whatever you call em, are for fags. So many a great shot story begins with a bad shot. :fk
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of May, 2020

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:09 pm

We have to go back to May 22. I had struggled a bit on Huron Meadows, with the course playing long and my golf swing providing erratic results. The 18th is a par 5, dogleg left, around 500 yards. I finally hit a decent drive in the fairway. Then a solid fairway wood and okay wedge to the green. I was pin high but 20 feet to the right. As always, I told myself in the best mental golf announcer voice, "Kuehn needs this to make the last open spot for the Masters..."

I smoothly stroked the slightly left breaking putt toward the shallow hole. It tracked to the hole like a hungry squirrel zeros in on an acorn.

I am headed to the Masters! :thrust
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of May, 2020

Post by DougE » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:09 pm
... As always, I told myself in the best mental golf announcer voice, "Kuehn needs this to make the last open spot for the Masters..."

I smoothly stroked the slightly left breaking putt toward the shallow hole. It tracked to the hole like a hungry squirrel zeros in on an acorn.

I am headed to the Masters! :thrust
BK, I am realizing that we have similar working minds.
Nice putt. See ya in Augusta.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Having some issues off the tee. Stood on the par 4 16th and hit another lousy fade leaving me about 150 to middle green. Pin back center. I smoothed a 7i straight at right side cutting back, landed about mid green and rolled up and in for an eagle 2. :banana
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 am

CeeBee wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:09 pm
Having some issues off the tee. Stood on the par 4 16th and hit another lousy fade leaving me about 150 to middle green. Pin back center. I smoothed a 7i straight at right side cutting back, landed about mid green and rolled up and in for an eagle 2. :banana
:yess Been a while since I had an eagle. Something to "shoot for" this year.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Quick question: is your best shot of the month your best when you didn't plan it like it happened but the result is one of the all time best?

Ok, here goes. It's a 390 yard par 4 hole downhill with a severe dogleg right that starts at 240 and a green with a lot of slope left to right and today the pin was in the back and a bit right, so a shot aimed at the left of the green will go down towards the pin nicely. Now, I missed my drive, with a push to the right and I ended up in a grove of trees, trees everywhere and all the way between my position and the green: basically I am in jail about 140 yards from the pin. The only 2 possible shots are: 1) pitch back to the fairway and maybe advance a little bit, to 120-125 out, and 2) hit a hero shot under all the trees, find an opening and get the ball to run towards the front left of the green, where the ball will take the slope and feed towards the pin.

I chose the second option and hit a nice long low shot, but instead of going left of the one tree I had picked as my target, as intended, the ball elevated slightly, just enough to go into the V of the low limbs of that tree and then headed straight for the correct spot on the front left of the green, The ball stopped about 2ft away from the hole for an "easy" birdie! The ball barely cleared the low point of that V, maybe by 2-3 inches and indeed the shot was bout 2 yards right of were I was aiming, but with a straight trajectory as opposed to the slight fade I had envisioned. No matter: even Tiger Woods wouldn't pull that shot more than half the time. For me, it was just a good miss. :rofl
I'm gonna go low this time...

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 am

Love the hero shot when it works.
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Oh yeah, baby! :ohyeah

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:46 pm

I know I gave a shot of the month just at the beginning of this week, but I had a pretty good one today too: 350 yards par 4 into a wind, with a pond starting left of the fairway from about 100 yards out, all the way to the front of the green. Decent drive in the middle with 140 yards left, I totally lay the sod on the approach shot and it goes towards the pond on the left but stops before hitting the drink. It's now 64 yards to the hole, over water, into the 15-20 mph wind. With a smooth little gap wedge, the ball lands just right of the hole, one little hop left and it finds it resting spot in the hole, for a birdie! That was the 18th hole too. Not a bad way to finish this round of 78.

The funny thing is that both of these birdies had some really bad stuff in the playing of their holes. But some awesome good stuff too... That's golf for you: another 4-letter word, and the word starting with F was already taken!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:58 am

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:46 pm
...That was the 18th hole too. Not a bad way to finish this round of 78.
{/quote]

:banana Here is your 5th banana!!

Nice way to end the round. Talk about highs and lows. You were rightfully feeling good about the drive. Then crash! Completely fail on the second and now you are in the basement. Then back on top of the world when you save the situation.

I like stories with a happy ending! :thumbs
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:59 am

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:46 pm
...That was the 18th hole too. Not a bad way to finish this round of 78.

:banana Here is your 5th banana!!

Nice way to end the round. Talk about highs and lows. You were rightfully feeling good about the drive. Then crash! Completely fail on the second and now you are in the basement. Then back on top of the world when you save the situation.

I like stories with a happy ending! :thumbs
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 am

Played yesterday and finally got the 90's monkey off my back. Best shot was on the long par 4 #15. Blistered a drive 288 yards down the right side, hit a 3/4 9 iron which I tugged a bit left, landing on the fringe. The highlight though was the putt from the fringe, 25.5 yards, yes yards, to DC for a bird.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:13 am

MattF wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 am
... Blistered a drive 288 yards down the right side, ...
That would have been my shot of the year. Oh ... nice putt, BTW! :banana
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Yeah right. 288 yds. I don’t have that shot.
Tee it up!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:09 am

CeeBee wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:18 pm
Yeah right. 288 yds. I don’t have that shot.
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:13 am
MattF wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 am
... Blistered a drive 288 yards down the right side, ...
That would have been my shot of the year. Oh ... nice putt, BTW! :banana
:D
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:07 am

Had several highlights and lowlights yesterday:
  • High - Hit two par 5's in two in one round (that's a first I'm pretty sure). At 480 and 509, both are legit and the second may well be the longest I have ever hit in two. Routine two putt birdies on both from about 30 feet, with one eagle putt lip out. On the flip side, on two holes playing in the opposite direction I clubbed up two clubs and came up short.
  • High - on the par 5 #8, my second ended up 35-40 yards from the flag in a huge bunker. Hit one of the tastier bunker shots of all time, great chunk and run up over a ridge on the green to trickle down and almost go in, settling 5 feet from the hole.
  • Low - missed the putt (misread)
  • High - on the next hole, had a fried egg in the bunker. Hit the ball to 5 feet, made it this time.
  • Low - limped in to turn great round into good round finishing bogey, double, bogey including a 3 putt from 5 feet. Ugly.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm

June is in the bag and there are a number of candidates. I think the last putt of my round at Pierce Lake two weeks ago. It is a long par three. That day, the hole was as far back and right as it could be. That adds around 30 yards so the yardage was 220-230 with a bunker protecting the hole position.

I put my tee shot on the green, about 15 feet away. I joked with my friend that if I made the putt, I would have "cinco birdies" for the day and I wanted "cinco" (another friend always counts birdies in Spanish, for no known reason). I stroked a good putt and it went straight in the hole. CINCO! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm
June is in the bag and there are a number of candidates. I think the last putt of my round at Pierce Lake two weeks ago. It is a long par three. That day, the hole was as far back and right as it could be. That adds around 30 yards so the yardage was 220-230 with a bunker protecting the hole position.

I put my tee shot on the green, about 15 feet away. I joked with my friend that if I made the putt, I would have "cinco birdies" for the day and I wanted "cinco" (another friend always counts birdies in Spanish, for no known reason). I stroked a good putt and it went straight in the hole. CINCO! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Ah! You remembered the bananas! :yess

Awesome day, I say.

PS: How many numbers do your friend or you know in Spanish? Can you name them all, all the way to "dieciocho"? Either way, I am jealous of "cinco"!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:37 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm

PS: How many numbers do your friend or you know in Spanish? Can you name them all, all the way to "dieciocho"? Either way, I am jealous of "cinco"!
Hmmmm... siete, seise, ocho, neuve, diece? I know a little bit of everything and not a lot about anything.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:34 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:37 pm
sjduffers wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Hmmmm... siete, seise, ocho, neuve, diece? I know a little bit of everything and not a lot about anything.
Close but no cigar... It’s seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez, once, doce, trece, catorce, quince, diesiseis, diesisiete, diesiocho. ¡Buena suerte para el proximo birdie, numero seis! :thrust :up