Getting out of a slump

jfurr

Re: Getting out of a slump

Post by jfurr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:34 pm

I’d like to play, I miss it. No damn time and it’s too damn hot.
Everything Sucks

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 pm

I looked over the Jfurr swing sequence today. By my current understanding of the how the swing wrx it looks like a straightforward case of out of sync. I believe if you can get your arms to keep up you will start to hit it better. Have you tried casting or swinging the club down from the top? Releasing it right away. I can attest that I made a lot of progress by using those sort of feel. I still use it now if I get out of sync. I am guessing if you are have become so accustomed to leaving your arms behind, getting them in sync will feel like they are going too early, too soon. Your thoughts:
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:40 am

I love that drill when I get stuck, have you ever tried to intentionally cast and get it on video? I can't actually cast and flip the wrists, when I try it just looks like a well synced up swing.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 pm

That's right, Fish makes a great point. Amateur golfers spend so much energy worrying about shit that can't actually happen, for instance this whole idea of "flipping" the club at the ball. I don't think it is actually a valid issue. It is more of a boogie-man, an irrational fear. We need to man up, get down on the floor with a flashlight, point it under the bed and prove to ourselves once and for all that there is no one is hiding under there waiting to kill you!!1 And flipping the wrists is not going to ruin your golf game. Try it, I dare you!!!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:46 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 pm
And flipping the wrists is not going to ruin your golf game.
No, it won't. But, it might give you a higher ball flight than is ideal, depending on your weight position at impact.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Let's be clear though "flipping" is the effect of a bad swing, not the cause.

It's damn near physically impossible to flip your wrists if your arms are in front of your chest while rotating. You can only do it if your arms are way behind, or something else is out of sync.

So there is no point in "fixing" a casting problem, what needs to be fixed is what causes the casting problem.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 pm

What casting problem? Like you yourself said Fish, is it realistically possible to cast from the top? Let us not forget we are talking about one Jfurr and his specific woes here. Clearly this is not someone who struggles to turn the hips. I don't even feel like I am saying anything remotely controversial, merely pointing out what Jfurr himself seemed to understand while annotating his own swing sequence: "Hips turning back quickly, club hasn't come down yet" It's all right there in that statement. I feel if anything his is the opposite of a casting problem. The club gets stuck from the freakin top. Maybe I am nuts but I believe he might do well to think about throwing his arms down from the top.

For me it has been very instructive. Maybe my case is singular but I doubt it. I think a lot of shitty golfers could benefit from working with this sort of feel. It might sound wrong to you but remember not everyone has the same fundamental swing flaw, maybe your shoulders and arms and hips and not disconnected in the swing. Mine were. Judging from this swing sequence I believe Jfurr's are too. I feel that even the slightest notion of "hips turn before the arms/shoulders" might be enough to wreck a swing. I believe in mental reprogramming to fix golf swings and the thought of throwing the club down from the top enabled me to eventually perceive the swing in a whole different and likely better way.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 pm

First I completely agree with starting the downswing with the arms. For me it's a thought of throwing the trail elbow at the ball.

What I meant was the only way to physically"cast" a golf club is if you are in a stuck position. If your arms are in front of your chest it's pretty much impossible to flip your wrists before impact. That comment wasn't directed at jfurr, it was just intended to be additive to what you said above.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:04 am

So after warming up, I decided to hit back to back drives. The first one I tried to flip, cast and basically just get the club head to the ball before my hips started releasing. The second one I tried to "release my hips first" like you hear all the time.

Also my goal was to hit them as hard as possible, that way I didn't have one that was slow and one that was fast, although that was the result.

To be fair this wasn't actually back to back. I had one in between where I got a "pop up" from McAfee that distracted me. So I didn't think it was fair. That one was even worse than the 2nd one.
Attachments
1769233971.png
1769233971.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 509 times
1467966001.png
1467966001.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 509 times
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:18 am

QED :o

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 am

I feel like clubproguy accidentally provided some good advice. Although my thought is firing my arms right after transition, not at impact.

Flip it.

Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:59 pm

That gag video might have been funny it wasn't so IRRESPONSIBLE. While that guys fans are all yukking it up, many of them no doubt have out of sync golf swings, and could benefit from actively trying to flip at impact. Everyone laughs, meanwhile they are just perpetuating more bad swing thoughts. The golf swing is a highly personal endeavor. Going along with groupthink is the road to ruin.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Looked at some video taken of my swing mechanics. Horrible. Lead arm bent at top and over the top thru. Working on driver on the range this morning. Starting to get some of the old feeling back. Amazing how shitty my swing had gotten.

It never ends.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am

Seeing my swing on video sent me into a 2 year slump. I preferred my idealized golf self-image to reality. At the end of the day, I have now come to accept my game, flaws and all, while mildly working on a few of the biggest issues. I am too old to re-build my swing completely, only to exclaim one day, "At last, I have it right!" and then keel over from a massive stroke.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!