Bawlz

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Bawlz

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:26 pm

I find the soccer ball design a bit distracting. And I don't really need a chick magnet at my stage in life. ;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Dicks have the XVs 6 balls for $10 right now. Might need to get some more. They are the new mode too.

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:23 am

Snell just released their new 2019 versions. MTB Black finally comes in Optic yellow and they've released a new MTB-X 3 piece urethane ball.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:24 am

Srixon Z Star XV won on the PGA Tour yesterday :ohyeah
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:25 am

MattF wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:23 am
Snell just released their new 2019 versions. MTB Black finally comes in Optic yellow and they've released a new MTB-X 3 piece urethane ball.
Just looked em up. They still cost more than Srixon XV :gross

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Didn’t all 3 tournaments all win with Srixon?

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm

PGA and Champions did

This guy plays the Z-star, bags a majestic 7 wood and makes me smile even when he's rambling semi-coherently about playing with 10 clubs instead of 14

Bluto did it

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Interesting, he thinks we should considering restricting the pros to 10 clubs only so they have to play better shots, to work the ball more to fill the gaps.

He's pretty funny.
When words make sense :)

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:46 am

Yesterday, out of winter boredom, I started to go through three full 5-gallon containers of "found" balls I had in my garage. One by one I cleaned them up and assessed their condition, separating them into groups:

1) VG-Mint grade, most-recent model, Tour level balls of any brand .
(These are used for trading with anyone who finds an AVX in good condition. I trade TP5s for AVX with one guy regularly.)

2) VG-Mint grade, non-Tour Level, or older model Tour level of any brand
(These are saved for handout to my mid-higher handicapper friends who have no affinity to any particular ball.)

3) VG-Mint grade, Titleist 2017-18 model Pro V1, Pro V1x or AVX
(These go in my practice-ball bag and are mostly used for practice out on the course.)

4) Fair-Good condition, all brands and models
(in good enough condition to use on my backyard range)

5) Ladies or very soft-feeling, good-exc condition, any brand.
(Saved for my cute, lady-doctor friend who I play with a couple times a month. She likes soft balls ;), what can I say?)

6) Garbage: Hard as rocks/mower-cut/1990s designs or earlier/water-logged

I'd guess there are somewhere between 1200-1500 balls in the collection. So far, I've cleaned and assessed maybe 200 of them. Most balls were found on my course over the past 3 seasons. I would typically come home from the course each day, take my clubs out of the truck and empty any found balls from the day into one of the buckets, dirt and all. If I happened to notice a good Titleist, I might clean it and throw it in my practice-ball bag, but a few good ones found their way into the buckets, unbeknownst to me.

It was near 50 degrees and sunny here yesterday, yet, with 5 inches of snow still on the ground from the previous day's storm (albeit melting quickly). Couldn't play golf so, I sat outside and sunned myself while cleaning and assessing golf balls for a couple hours in the late afternoon. It was quite therapeutic.

Anyone want to trade their vg-mint found AVXs for something in particular? I probably have what you're looking for. Snell, MG, Vice, Dixon, Kirkland, etc.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 am

I find it interesting that I have found only one AVX over the course of the past 12 months. I don't really scrounge around like I did in a former life (the ball retriever in the basement is a testament to my hawking career). Even so, I find around 200 balls or more a year just playing and keeping an eye out as I stroll past woods and ponds. If I were going to make a prediction, the AVX will soon become a version of the Pro V1 family, Pro V1a or something like that. Titleist needs to piggy back on the familiarity of the Pro V1 name, I think, to sell more AVX's. :school
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:30 am

It already, kind of, is part of the family. AVX stands for Alternate to the V1 or (V1)X.

I'm not surprised you haven't found many. They were just released to all markets last season and are really still a niche ball at this point. Most die hard Pro V players, especially longer hitters, had no reason to change to the AVX. And since they are the same price as the AVX, the only players who seem to make the switch are those who were playing (and paying for) the ProV1 or x, but have a little less swing speed than necessary to get the full distance benefit of the Pro V. I, and many other 90s SS players like me who played Pro V before, are seeing some added distance with the AVX, without any significant loss of spin around the greens. I notice the biggest distance gains in wind and/or cold. The ball really pops off the face and cuts through the wind on well-struck shots. (I do admit, the Pro V does seem to check slightly better on pitches and chipitches from the fairway.)

For awhile, early last year, I was surely one of, if not the only guy playing AVXs at my course. I had them (for trial from Titleist) before they were released anywhere in the US, and then when they were released in FL, AZ and CA, I had a few dozen I purchased in FL, which I played with all winter when I was only one of a few who was out there in the cold. So if an AVX was found here, it was a pretty good bet, it came off one of my clubfaces. However, the first one a buddy of mine found last April was NOT one of mine. Go figure.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:54 pm

/thread

The man has spoken. "Best ball ever".

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Best ball he has ever been PAID to play. I am sure his opinion is not shaded by the paycheck.
Let's Play 36

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Truth.
Although I heard the ball is the reason Rory went to Taylormade, they bullied him into a full deal.
I guess balls do matter ;)