Bawlz

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Bawlz

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm

A good article on "the human launch monitor" and the ball testing process. These gear companies get a whole lot more for their money than a famous name when they sign up Tiger Woods.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/28 ... ch-monitor
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:25 pm

I'm dabbling with the Bridgestone Tour BXS (Tiger's ball). I used it this past weekend. It's definitely soft and spinny, smushes real good on the irons. Reminds me of the feel of the Callaway Chrome Soft. Not sure how it does off the driver (since I didn't hit driver), but I know that the Chrome Softs were shorter off the driver than my Pro V1's.
Bluto did it

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Tee it up for Doug - where does the new Titleist Tour Speed fall in the Titleist ball lineup? I could research myself but would rather read Doug's evaluation.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm
Tee it up for Doug - where does the new Titleist Tour Speed fall in the Titleist ball lineup? I could research myself but would rather read Doug's evaluation.
C'mon @DougE , time to chime in. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Doug will have an answer for sure but he is a ProV1 guy. If he hit any other ball further he still wouldn’t play it. :nope
Tee it up!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:25 pm
Doug will have an answer for sure but he is a ProV1 guy. If he hit any other ball further he still wouldn’t play it. :nope
That's funny! :rofl

But I think that @DougE is playing an AVX these days.
I'm gonna go low this time...

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:06 pm

The kirklands are in stock at Costco... my friend loves them... if they came in Yellow I'd try them out.
Although, I dont think I'm going to get their PUTTER or their WEDGE though.

I love my Yellow Srixon Zstars.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 am

gpickin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:06 pm
The kirklands are in stock at Costco... my friend loves them... if they came in Yellow I'd try them out.
Although, I dont think I'm going to get their PUTTER or their WEDGE though.

I love my Yellow Srixon Zstars.
Have you tried the TP5s yet? They come in yellow now.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:37 am

Somehow I missed that.
Will have to try them.

Thanks @srogers13

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:39 am

These days, I play a ProV1x OR an AVX, depending on the course/weather conditions, and the shaft I have in my driver on that particular day. AVX is great in the wind and colder conditions. The newest model is even better than the 2019 version.

To reply to the original question, Phil, the new Tour Speed is a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover built to compete with Cally Chrome Soft, Tour BRX and TM Tour Response, from a price point perspective. It's not the same urethane cover as that on a Pro V or AVX, though it is urethane. Some new concoction with a different dimple pattern. I have read all the marketing info on them. Also, though I did not know it at the time, I actually tested a sleeve of white prototypes last year that would eventually be the ball design that evolved into the new Tour Speed. I don't remember my feeling last year about them, other than they seemed softer than a Pro V1 and even my AVX.

A few days ago I found a virtually brand new Titleist Tour Speed in the weeds and tried playing it yesterday to see what it was all about. I played a Pro V1x on the front nine and then put the Tour Speed into play on the back. I played it for three holes before switching back to the Pro V1x. It felt kind of blah, even though I hit some of my best shots with it and played all three of those holes, par, par, par. And par on the 12th is rare for me. It just felt too soft with the shaft I had in my driver. Maybe it was the sound, or something, but I just didn't feel the satisfaction about my drives even though the results were quite good on both my 11th and 12th hole tee shots. The first one on the 10th was straight, but seemed to die and fall out of the sky. There was a bit of wind in the face which may have affected it more than the others, but that first one disappointed me. I felt like I hit it well. I'll blame the wind and give the ball the benefit of the doubt on that one.

In any case, even though I played the first three holes on the back well, I just wasn't feeling what I wanted from the ball off the tee. It did react well with the two chips I made with it. I got up and down both times. I put a Pro V1x back in play for the rest of the round. It just felt better off the driver clubface.

Overall, the ball performed well. Spin was good around the greens and not too much off the tee and approach shots. It just didn't float my boat with the way it felt off the driver...or even full iron shots. It was not a feel that made me say, "Oh yeah :ohyeah , " even though the results were generally good. Maybe I'm just used to a clickier sound.

If you like Chrome Softs, I would think you'd like a Tour Speed. They are similarly priced and you can be sure they are not out of balance like the Chrome Softs were often proven to be in MGS testing. (Titleist, btw, was shown in the tests to have the BEST quality control, from the top of the line to the bottom. No surprise to me.)

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Taylormade's new ball TOUR RESPONSE has a good tagline

Swear by it, not at it :)