Random golf thoughts

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Random golf thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 04, 2019 9:06 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 am
Actually I'd love to see 3 and 6 hole tracks offered, but they will never catch on.
I feel it's a possibility. Only say that given the apparent popularity of TopGolfs and shit. This has probably been discussed but if a new course could come up with a 3x6 layout, then why not? But maybe it's tricky to lay out three first holes and three home holes, I don't know.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 04, 2019 10:05 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:03 am
Nine holes feel partial and incomplete to me almost every time. If I lived next to a golf course I'd probably feel different though.
You would. I do.

I practice on the days I don't play, sometimes spending an hour or two playing 3 or 4 holes with many balls from different lies. Obviously, being a full-time member allows that, as well as living next door.

Also
legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:03 am
I feel it's a possibility. Only say that given the apparent popularity of TopGolfs and shit. This has probably been discussed but if a new course could come up with a 3x6 layout, then why not? But maybe it's tricky to lay out three first holes and three home holes, I don't know.
I have been reading of new venues, and even some old, which are offering a pay as you go rate. Play as many holes as you want and pay by the hole.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am

I think jack niclaus is an advocate of building courses that return close to the clubhouse at the 6th and 12th holes to provide other options. Obviously for most old courses this is not reality.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 04, 2019 5:29 pm

So something strange happened today - maybe you guys are more experienced with this - on the 18th hole I hit what seemed like a really nice drive, started left with maybe a tinge of fade. The ball seemed to change direction in mid air and seemed to hop right, then it became a slice and ended up much shorter than I would have thought. Didn't see a bird or object or feel any wind but it was raining - thoughts?

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:00 pm

May have been more wind higher (above trees) than you thought. The rain may have also taken off backspin to keep the ball holding height as usual.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat May 04, 2019 6:07 pm

I assume you are right-handed (so fades and slices both go right).

I think it happens when the ball can't stay in the air because it does not have enough spin vs it speed: back spin and air flow on the dimples is what provides lift to keep the ball flying. The result is that the ball gets knocked down and as it slows down the fade turns into a slice as the axis of the spin topples to the side. Btw, there is only one spin axis but it usually is seen as having 2 parts: back spin and side spin (like a vector has an x and y component). Were you downwind? It's a typical situation when that happens...
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 04, 2019 6:19 pm

I didn't feel any wind at all so I don't know. Ball seemed to kind of knuckle ball in mid-air.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat May 04, 2019 6:20 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:19 pm
I didn't feel any wind at all so I don't know. Ball seemed to kind of knuckle ball in mid-air.
Like srogers said, it's likely you couldn't feel the wind from the ground but it was there above the trees.
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 04, 2019 6:33 pm

I'd put my money on a wet ball. I have seen wet balls die in mid flight on many occasions, as well as change direction.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 04, 2019 6:41 pm

That's interesting - have to remember that the next rain I play in. The bad news is that it turned what seemed to be a good drive into a tough lie among the trees with some low branches. The good news is that I hit an amazing low running shot under the branches and between the trees and hit the green from 190.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 09, 2019 9:17 am

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58 am

I have a golf lesson today I hope it doesn’t suck
Everything Sucks

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Every golfer is a feel golfer. GTFO here. :fuckall

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm

@jfurr Cool! Can't wait to hear about this.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Had a free golf lesson paid for by a vendor. It was a group lesson, but as the guest I got to pick what to work on. Chipping. Hour and a half on technique. We didn’t even bother talking about what I was doing wrong (everything). Started from scratch. Totally foreign feeling, but it started to click. By the end I had 3 techniques for different situations (whether to hinge or not). It was a good lesson but boy was I so screwed up. Felt better by the end but gonna need a lot of practice.

Fast forward to two days ago, played a afternoon round with a couple of my band mates, one of whom this was my first time playing together. He used to play a lot and has a good game. He actually caddied for a friend who turned pro. Anyway, I lost it and couldn’t chip again. I was digging and blading them on the practice green when he showed up. He helped me out (same info as the instructor, btw) if anything more simple bump and run. Anyway we played a fun round. Replayed the front since we hit a league teeing off on the back. Squirrelly is a good description of how it went. Fun but I don’t think I broke 100. I was down to one old Titleist ball in my bag. My goal over the final four holes was to finish without loosing my last ball. I did it. Small positive takeaway.
Everything Sucks

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm

jfurr wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 pm
My goal over the final four holes was to finish without losing my last ball. I did it. Small positive takeaway.
One of the old methods of getting the job done. Set a goal. Well done. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:40 pm

Okay, it's Sunday night. A whole weekend and no one has any golf stuff to post? It has become quite depressing checking in here lately. Since no one seems to have anything of interest to post, I guess I'll have to try to get the ball rolling again. So I'll just throw some random golf observations and thoughts out there, with hopes it will elicit some response.

1. My game is as good as it has ever been lately. My confidence is up and my ballstriking has been quite consistent. I have a fairly deep repertoire of specialty shots in my bag that have greatly improved my game. It only took the last 3 1/2 years of playing close to 600 rounds to get here, plus daily practice work. It amazes me that there are still much better players than me who don't put in one tenth the time that I do. It ain't fair.

2. How many bad shots (chunks, thins, slices or shanks) does it take for you to lose your confidence and does it matter if that first couple of duffs rear their ugly head on the first hole? For me, it depends on who I'm playing with and whether or not they already know I am a pretty decent player. It's an ego thing, I guess.

3. When I get into trouble off the tee, I embrace the challenge of making a decent score on the hole. The pressure is off. No one expects miracles. Except me. I bear down. Grinding gets my juices going. Don't ever count me out of a hole. I don't....until I'm out of the hole.

3a. I should play more match-play.

4. My home course is a tough course. I like that, but it can get frustrating. I've been playing very well and shooting in the 70s here a lot lately. I feel my game is in great shape and certainly deserving of scores in the 70s on a regular basis. However, I wonder if I will ever break par at this course. I can't get that much better at my age. Maybe I should play some easier courses while my game is firing on all cylinders. Might be my only chance to ever break par. I ain't gettin' any younger. There are a couple courses in the area with slope ratings between 120-125. If I play one of them a few times and learn the layout, I think I could have a real chance to go low. Is that cheating in my quest to beat par, or just taking the easy way out?

5. I just stuck an old regular flex shaft in my TS driver. An Aldila Rogue Black (which I had in my 917 at one point). Took out my stiff flex Tensei Blue 55 which I hit well. Fitter told me the Aldila Rogue is a firmer and more stable shaft overall. As stiff as the Tensei, even though it says R on it. Don't be fooled. Right now, I am getting great performance from the Rogue. I also have a Project X 5.5 Evenflow Blue now, ready to put in it when the enchantment with the Aldila goes away. In the meantime I'll ride it as long as I keep getting great results. The Evenflow will hang out in the back of my truck, "on the bench," waiting for its chance. If that doesn't work out well, the Tensei goes back in.

6. I just re-read Zen Golf. There is a lot of good take-away in it. It took me some time to get through it since I did not dedicate any substantial reading time to it. I only read a chapter or two at a time, maybe once or twice a week. But it seemed, each time I applied something I read each day, it helped somehow. I would recommend it to anyone who struggles with the mental aspect of the game.

(The next one isn't really all that "random.")

7. Speaking of the mental part of the game, I recently found that article I wrote for Oobgolf a few years back, "Mind Play," that I mentioned on these boards a few months back. The one with the wind chimes disaster. I have made some edits and updates with plans to use it on my new writing website (to market myself for consulting work). I've also been planning to write a golf blog/newsletter with a focus on the Mid-Atlantic region (to start) and will certainly be publishing it there as a feature story, most likely in the first issue. I have let some people I know in the golf and/or publishing business read it ahead of time and got some great reactions and lots of encouragement. I'll likely be writing similar-type articles for the blog once it gets rolling.
In the meantime, if anyone is interested in a re-read of the article, and hopefully a small laugh, I can post it here in a pdf format with the new accompanying title illustration (which, in itself, is a hoot and captures the mood of the poor freaked-out sole in the story). Otherwise, you can see it on my site when it finally goes live. Or not.

Not to get into the whole concept for the proposed golf blog, but I have been working on a plan for the last couple years. There will be various sections to the publication, including highlighting AJGA players (Juniors), competitive Senior Amateurs, a Pro Tip area, a Female Recreational Golfer spotlight, the Everyman Golfer, golf course reviews, as well as humorous and educational articles, reader comments, among other things. At least, that's the rough plan as it stands at present. It's beginning to take shape, but I have many other things on my plate from a writing perspective that are also in the works, so I have a long way to go before it gets off the ground. My personal writing, design and print communications website should be online soon, hopefully, and once that is up and running, I will focus on the golf blog more. I'm trying to balance all this with keeping my golf game sharp, on a daily basis. Up until this point, I have been keeping the focus there first. Writing and building the new website mornings and nights. However, with the site getting close to launch and my excitement about doing some writing and consulting work again, I'm beginning to feel like it is going to really happen. I feel I'm getting on a roll. I'm even ready to get back to work on my book. (The Country Club murder mystery I mentioned in the winter.) It's going to happen. At some point.

(Back to random.)

8. Is anyone using the new lost ball rule where if you go OB or lose the ball you get to take a 2-stroke penalty and drop in the fairway near where it went out of bounds or out of play? I have not used that rule. I'm still playing a provisional and/or taking stroke and distance. As far as I know it's optional.

9. I've noticed a pattern regarding taking the pin out when putting. I rarely do. I'll take it out for you if you request it, but otherwise I usually leave it in. I never planned to go one way or the other. I just started to realize I almost always leave it in. I rarely even think much about it, unless I have a strong feeling on a particular putt that there is a good chance that the ball could ricochet off the pin when it would likely fall in otherwise. And that thought typically only happens on hard sliders where I have to hit it hard enough to take out some of the break. I am not using any studies by Dave Pelz, MGS, WRX (or MIT for that matter) to help me decide. Just my gut. I'm more comfortable with that. So far, I have not missed a putt due to the pin causing it to glance off and not drop as a result. But I think I have made at least a few where the pin stopped it and dropped it. So, just like I do with the rest of my game, I am going to make decisions about how I play a shot, based on how I "see" and feel the shot taking shape, not what some study tells me.

Okay, those are my random golf thoughts/fodder for LegitimateGolf today. I hope there is something that someone will find worth commenting on. I need my LegitimateGolf fix and I have not been getting much at all from you people. Get in the game, will ya? Or give us your random thoughts...about golf. I could care less about anything not golf related. Yes, I'm a golf snob.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 am

Love the late night random posting, keep it going. I am going to exempt myself from your scolding obviously. I post plenty about my stupid golf thoughts, you know it and I know it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 am

Is your plan to travel around the mid Atlantic? If so if you make it over on the Williamsburg side of Richmond I'll meet up with you and get my ass kicked.

I know I haven't been in the golfing mood lately. But I'm about over my quest for improvement and ready to just have a fun time shooting 93 then saying "but man that shot on #8 was amazing" after my round.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 am

DougE wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:40 pm
Okay, it's Sunday night. A whole weekend and no one has any golf stuff to post? It has become quite depressing checking in here lately. Since no one seems to have anything of interest to post.
Funny but I had time to check for new stuff on Saturday but not the time to post my thoughts. Sunday was in a funk all day - getting bombarded by Berry rain and spent hours watching Federer only for him to lose. Plus I'm still struggling with Saturday.

1. My game is highly disappointing lately. More to come.

2. How many bad shots (chunks, thins, slices or shanks) does it take for you to lose your confidence and does it matter if that first couple of duffs rear their ugly head on the first hole? Bad shots not an issue, but I've had my share of shanks lately - totally mind blowing.

3. Match play is really useful for keeping sharp.

4. I'm trying to split my round between high slope (+135) and low slope (-118) courses. Interesting challenges on both. It is nowhere as easy to score on a low slope course than I would think - less room for errors but certainly fewer DBs and more birdies IMO.

5. When you talk shafts and other gear head equipment stuff, you lose me. I'm a basics guy.

6. Funny I can't remember my last OB but there have been lots of shots into hazards lately.

7. I'm all over the place with the flag stick rule. Over 10 feet I always have it in. Under 10 feet I take it out - most of the time. When do I and when do I not, it just depends.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:51 am

Dr. Timothy Leary once likened taking LSD to hitting golf balls. By itself each is a harmless activity. But you have to do it in designated areas, under the supervision of experienced pros.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:27 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:51 am
Dr. Timothy Leary once likened taking LSD to hitting golf balls. By itself each is a harmless activity. But you have to do it in designated areas, under the supervision of experienced pros.
I have a good friend why I played golf with when I was in Florida. He did not follow this advice. The first time he tried LSD he was by himself in central park (he went to NYU).

Come to think of it he also doesn't use a golf coach.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Every day at my work there is a putting contest where people have 3 chances to putt the ball into a cup.

When ever someone makes it they back it up 1 carpet square (24" squares) and keep track of where they are each day. Currently they are on 118ish' putt. It's getting so long than the ball is bouncing pretty hard off cubicals from some of the really bad putters.

I have not participated in this insanity even though my manager does participate nearly every day.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:22 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:24 pm
Every day at my work there is a putting contest where people have 3 chances to putt the ball into a cup.

When ever someone makes it they back it up 1 carpet square (24" squares) and keep track of where they are each day. Currently they are on 118ish' putt. It's getting so long than the ball is bouncing pretty hard off cubicals from some of the really bad putters.

I have not participated in this insanity even though my manager does participate nearly every day.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

I've had a case of the Mondays for the last few years.

I love what I do but absolutely hate working for someone else.
Keep it short stupid.