Just Keep Swimming

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Just Keep Swimming

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am

So I found out that having enough room to swing a club and having enough room to hit a ball into a net (that you don't clip the club with on your follow through) and stop the ball before it hits something are actually drastically different.

I have about 12' (I think) half to 8' of that is the swing arch. Then the net is 2' deep but the net gives about 3-4'. So it has to be away from the base of the wall by 1-2'. I still hit some drives where I hear the ball make contact with drywall even then. It has yet to dent the drywall as most of the momentum is gone. But I know one day I'll dent it.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am

This will be me and Fish if we ever get together.

Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Finally hit one over 300 yards on the simulator. Let's ignore the 83 yards right haha.
Attachments
IMG_20180721_141121.jpg
IMG_20180721_141121.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 758 times
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 am

So big struggles going on right now with me. My right shoulder is dropping in transition bringing my swing way under the plane. Hooks blocks fats and thins galore. Been working on keeping my right shoulder "above" the ball it's a real struggle, but when I get it I'm back to hitting a little fade which is my preferred shot shape. But it's a real struggle to make it work.

This game is so frustrating. Feel like I take one step forward and two steps back.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 am

My practice swing to keep the feel of not dropping my shoulder is to pretend I'm hitting a ball outside of my left foot. It kind of resembles tigers practice swings where he exits way left.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:10 pm

The more I mess with this the more I realize it's not really a swing to the "left". It's a flattening off my shoulder plane, which feels like I'm swinging left.

So far I've hit a lot of balls with this thought of having my left shoulder rotate behind my neck on a flat plane. I know it's not actually flat, but feel <> real (nod to excel nerds there).

When I rotate my shoulders flatter i feel much less restricted, and as such my club head speed with driver is mid 100's instead of low 100s. Also when I actually do it I completely cut out the left going left miss. Occasionally I'll pull one about 10 yards, but it's not a 30+ yard hook. Also I just naturally see the ball moving left to right better, so being able to play a reliable cut is pretty important for me to have good results with my ball striking. I do worry when I get on the course though. Given it feels like I'm "swinging" left I wonder if my body will panic when I'm aimed down the left side with trees or some crap over there. That feeling of trying to pull a shot into the woods when you know you are aimed left might take some time to overcome.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 am

I'm kind of at a loss on what to do off the tee. I know I'm changing some things in my swing to get "on top of the ball" or prevent myself from getting under the plane.

I've only been at it for a couple weeks and I'm seeing progress with my irons when I played yesterday. Honestly I did hit more "poor" irons than I hit good ones, but the shot shape is there and I can see progress is happening. The good ones were a perfect high fade that fell 5 yards to the right with my long/mid irons.

Driver and 3w, wow that's a different world now. I believe it's part technical part mental at this point. I really struggled yesterday keeping my right shoulder "high" in the downswing. I kept letting it drop which resulted in some awful shots. I'm trying to eliminate the dropping of my right shoulder to prevent the draw/hook. I like the look of a ball that fades since 90% of my life I've hit that shot.

#1 - 3w, hooked into the left rough luckily I was able to put my 2nd on the green.
#2 - 3w, very low hook, barely cleared the forced carry and ended up dead perfect. But it was not a good shot, just a lucky one.
#3 & 4 - irons
#5 - Dr, it's a par 5 that I can reach in 2 if I hit it well. It MUST cut to be in a spot to reach. I snap hook it into a nasty lie against a tree. Then I slammed it into the ground hoping to snap the shaft (I failed).
#6 - 3w, snap hook into the water. Then the 2nd one I topped it down the FW somehow leaving me 8i into the green on a very short par 4.
#8 - Dr - hooked into the waste area and had to punch out w/ 7i.
#9 - 3w - slight draw (I said fuck it and was trying to hit a massive slinging slice) into the left rough, 7i putt, and birdie.
#10 3w - woo hoo finally hit one right. I just left the club face way the hell open and pushed it over near #15 green.
#11 & #12 were hybrid/iron
#13 - 3w push hook finding the middle of the FW somehow in a perfect place.
#15 dr hooked and went about 150 yards
#16 dr that made the one on #15 look good
#18 another smoother hook driver with water down the entire left side. Good news is I didn't even get it airborne enough to reach the water.

Think I may just spend a month or so working on 5i and below on the simulator. Then pull out a driver and see what the hell happens.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 am

I seem to be at the opposite end. Trying to get farther underneath, trying to push the ball out to the right.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:27 am

Yeah reading about your journey has always made me feel like we'd be right on plane if we could average our swings out.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Beef, try this. It works for me whenever I start fading the ball more than a touch. I use it mostly with driver swings, but sometimes use a similar method with other longer clubs when I am hitting them off the ground. (A draw is my natural iron ball flight, but some days, things aren't always natural.

Set your tee 12-18 inches diagonally back off the tee marker. Then set up normally to the ball. Glance at the tee marker as you move away from the ball, while primarily focusing on the ball. On the downswing, feel the clubface AIMING at the tee marker while focusing on the inside of the ball. This gives you a better awareness of where your clubface is headed as you come into the ball. Of course, you can't actually hit the tee marker because your arms aren't long enough. Automatically, the face turns into the ball when there is no more room left in your arm length, usually leaving you with a slightly inside out swing. A glance at the tee marker at the top of your backswing makes you feel you have to get that elbow in and shoulder down to have a chance to get the clubface aimed at it.

It's a psychological fix for a mechanical problem, but it tends to work for me whenever I start getting lazy with my swing mechanics. It also works with other clubs, but you have to pick out a spot on the ground (a blade of grass, leave, mark, etc.) diagonally forward from the ball, instead of a tee marker. The tough part is getting the right diagonal relationship and distance from the tee marker/ground spot. If the visual aid spot is too far back, you can easily push-fade the ball. Overall though, this is a good fix without having to change anything consciously. Your subconscious does the work for you. One caveat, you have to commit and swing through the ball to a complete finish as if no ball is even there, or you will certainly slice it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Tiger should try that.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 pm

That sounds odd. To me that sounds like a way to trick your brain into coming OTT.

I feel that the instinct would be a desire to not hit the tee marker so you would bring the club way out to in to prevent hitting it. Which essentially is the swing I'm attempting to make (at least in my head, not in reality).
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:42 pm

So with my atrocious ball striking the last couple rounds I decided to check everything from the ground up. Apparently my left hand grip got too strong. I have fixed it and put in a pre shot check point when lining up. Hitting the ball so much more consistent now.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm

I make this same damn post every couple months. I'm getting really tired of posting it and I'm sure you all are tired of reading it. I feel like the dumbest golfer ever and don't know what to do other than post on here confessing how insane I am (per Einstein's definition).

When I'm practicing and concentrating on keeping my swing short and in front of me, I stripe the ball and have effortless power. The ball launches higher with more spin and goes 5-15 yards farther depending on the club. With an 8i making this swing I just lay one ball after another on top of each other 155 yards out. I can do this all the way up to my 3w, although my 3w gets a little more shaky.

On the course I can never bring myself to keep my swing that short. When doing it right i feel like my left arm doesn't go past parallel to the ground, although I'm sure it does in real life. When doing this with 8i my ball speed is around 115mph, but when I take the swing back a little further it drops to 108-110.

On the course I don't trust that the ball will go far enough with that swing. So I add just a little more to the back swing which is when I start to stand the club up vertically. From that position it's a crap shoot.

Also I have never been able to put this swing on a driver, even in practice. Massive mental block when I try it. I can get stopped short with driver but my instinct is that it's not going to go anywhere so I swing as hard as I can from that point. It feels like my body turns into an unfolding switch blade at that point. Shit is going everywhere. The only saving Grace is I can make the swing with 3w and when I do it and don't panic it carries 235-245 yards like a bullet. With how baked out everything is here right now I'm sure I'd get 15-20 yards of roll too.

My next time playing golf, I think I'm going to make it my goal to commit to this short controlled swing 85% of my full swings. I may even go as far as not keeping a golf score and just write down after each hole how many full swings and how many times did I keep it short and controlled. I have to do something drastic to get over this stupid neanderthalish thought of "must hurt ball" when I'm on the golf course. It's fucking up my scores.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am

I often have to check myself too. When things start going sour, it usually has something to do with over-swinging. It's easy to fix on the range. Not so much when it counts on the course. I find my best swings (and best results) come from nice, easy, rhythmic swings, in tempo, as if no ball is sitting on the tee. When I start trying to "hurt the ball", as you say, things can go south quickly.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:23 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm
I have to do something drastic to get over this stupid neanderthalish thought of "must hurt ball" when I'm on the golf course. It's fucking up my scores.
I would posit that the scores are not all that important to you. As with any amateur/recreational player who for the most part doesn't compete. The way you hit the ball is probably more important in the grand scheme. I doubt you spent all that money on a radar for the express purpose of knocking some strokes of your scores. No, you bought it to help you hit the ball better, higher, longer, etc. Now obviously better ball-hitting usually leads to lower scores. But even if it didn't, people would still pursue it. It's very enjoyable to hit a good ball goddammit. And so what. Does the score really matter? Keep on whaling on the ball, is what I say.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:13 am

So the bad part about the launch monitor, I don't have room to take videos of my swing.

I'm at a stall, my "progress" seems to be anything but progress recently. I'm starting to feel that some old bad habits have creeped their way into my swing, with my recent efforts to eliminate the hook miss. I think I'll use my lunch break on Thursday to get some video and see what's going on. I'm very frustrated with results recently the consistency of impact has gone way downhill.

I need to really commit to getting video every month to make sure I'm moving forward.

I'm not quite sure how Ben Hogan was able to "dig it out of the dirt" with out video. I need to see what I'm doing, because what I feel and what is actually happening are 2 very different things.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 am

I hear that. I really do not enjoy setting up the cam and doing video but it seems like a crucial part of the process. I don't know how one could make any significant changes without. Agree about Hogan, that is why he is such a mythical figure. I know that he did study newsreel footage whenever possible. But yeah, that's why I always say, someone like Hogan probably would have committed horrible acts just to be able to use an iphone for a day. We are so lucky. :gross

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:51 pm

I was right, I slipped back into some old habits. It was a simple thing to fix at setup and boom, I'm striping the ball. Fingers crossed it continues.

I took a "skills test" on the skytrak, and it said my ball striking was like a 5.4 handicap. This includes the terrible 180 yard target where I flung a 6i all over the damn map. I was a 15 handicap for that target alone.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:29 pm

There is a professional screen golf tour in Korea, just sayin.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:29 pm
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy ordering Rosetta Stone: Korean
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 am
legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:29 pm
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy ordering Rosetta Stone: Korean
In all seriousness, I don't think I could play simulated golf. I have no issue with using it as a driving range, but for me everything inside about 50 yards is all touch/feel. I watch some people pull out a laser from 20 yards off the green, and it boggles my mind. I just look at where I want to land the ball and what I want the ball flight to be then hit the shot. I can't do that on a simulator. I've demo'ed a couple of the simulated golf course type things and it's fine until I get inside 50 yards. Then I just want to move to the next hole.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:10 am

I don't know if this helps my game or not, but days when I am frustrated I'll head up stairs for some driver stress relief. My only goal is to see how far I can carry the driver. A couple months ago it was common for the carry to be 240-250, but rarely over 260 even when I was trying to rip the net.

Now I can carry the ball 250-260 any time I want (assuming reasonable contact) and will occasionally hit 270 when I hit it on the screws.

Unfortunately regardless of how I swing my driver (fast, smooth, slow, etc) my "fw" percentage doesn't change. With one exception, if I swing hard things go really wide. So it just seems like I should swing balls out every time and pray, at least with driver.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that none of the Golf Digest Top 100 Teachers in America would sign off on that practice. But who knows. There's probably some benefit to it. I think if you want to hit it long ultimately you have to get acquainted with a very fast moving clubhead.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Went to the range and got some ugly videos today. To be fair it wasn't all bad. I noticed my right knee straightening and then my hips slide slightly away from the target right at the end of my back swing. I made some adjustments to stop this and keep some flex in my right knee, man what a difference some small things can make. I start hitting it a lot more consistent, and it just launches dead vertical off my irons. A lot higher with more spin but just dead straight lasers.

I really love being able to hit balls in my house, I just need to find a way to take videos so I can make sure the little things are still happening correctly.

With my home range I notice my range sessions have changed, I spend 2.5 hours putting and chipping and 30 min taking videos of my full swing.
Keep it short stupid.