golf is hard

bryan k

Re: golf is hard

Post by bryan k » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:02 pm

When I walk 18, I carry a full gallon jug of water. Sure, it's a deterrent. Water is heavy. But it is necessary.

Also, make sure you eat or drink something before and after the round to ensure that you have an adequate electrolyte balance to absorb that water. Bananas, coconut water, and Gatorade are all good options. Heck, a salty order of french fries might even do the trick.

I drink a LOT of water, but if my electrolytes aren't balanced, it doesn't do a lick of good.

It's 11:00 AM, and I just grabbed my sixth 20 oz. glass of water on the day. I've also had two cups of coffee. I generally taper off in the afternoon. I'll maybe only have 1-2 glasses once I get home, but they are 32 oz. glasses.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Yup, water is crucial when walking. I drink at least 4 16oz bottles of water when I walk. On hot days, it can nearly double. Using a push cart makes the weight a moot point, but I refill my water bottle at the convenience stations spread around the course. I use a thermos type of bootle, filled with ice, so the last fill-up is still cold. As Bryan said, be sure to eat something while playing or immediately before and/or after. Protein is good, as are nuts.

Btw, I managed to not drink enough once on a really hot day, riding the cart, and as I was driving back home, both my hands cramped at the same time, in the fatty part between the thumb and the index finger. So painful! I had to pull over and let my buddy finish the drive home...
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:59 am

An older friend of mine who has leg cramp problems like you described suggested drinking straight tonic water when you feel like or have already started getting leg cramps.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:30 am

srogers13 wrote:An older friend of mine who has leg cramp problems like you described suggested drinking straight tonic water when you feel like or have already started getting leg cramps.
I'll file that one for later use. Thank you.

Someone also suggested eating straight mustard. I have not tried that one and don't know that I can handle mustard without it being on a hot dog or ham sandwich. :o

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:43 am

Testify brother Doug. Golf is hard. Most of those knuckleheads out there won't ever know because they'll never go out on a limb like that. I'll even go so far as to say that for a large portion of the golfing public, successfully completing 18 holes on foot is as far fetched as breaking par. Just so far out of the realm of possibility.
no more polo shirts

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm

DougE wrote:
srogers13 wrote:An older friend of mine who has leg cramp problems like you described suggested drinking straight tonic water when you feel like or have already started getting leg cramps.
I'll file that one for later use. Thank you.

Someone also suggested eating straight mustard. I have not tried that one and don't know that I can handle mustard without it being on a hot dog or ham sandwich. :o
Mustard contains vinegar and salt, both of which are electrolytes.

I'd be careful with tonic water. Yes, it actually used to be prescribed by doctors for leg cramps, but there is a reason it isn't anymore. While the stuff you buy at Circle K probably has a very low quinine content, if you're drinking 6-8 of these during a round, that could add up.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:27 pm

I am not saying drink it while playing, I was saying he said to drink it when you felt the cramp coming on, or while it is happening.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 pm

srogers13 wrote:I am not saying drink it while playing, I was saying he said to drink it when you felt the cramp coming on, or while it is happening.
I suffer from occasional cramping, usually in the middle of the night. When it happens, I'll have a small tonic water, 6-8 oz. IMO it works.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Here is a quote from Kyle Lowry (current NBA player)

“When it’s basketball season, I really try to focus on basketball,” Lowry said. “But when I can go play, I play. I love the game. People say, ‘How are you going to play golf [in season]?’ When you play golf, there isn’t a wear and tear [physically] … If you go out, you have to be able to perform.

“I’m carting. I’m not walking. During the season when I get a chance to play, I’m definitely using a cart. But in the summer, I like to walk. It’s very calming, but it’s a hard workout walking up and down the course. It’s a good little burn.”
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:47 pm

This seems like a good thread in which to throw this post out there. Though it's an old thread, the title says it all.

I am working a high level AJGA regional event at my club this weekend. I'm an official scorer and timer for 3 holes, 6-7-8. The level of player in this event is low single-digit to better than scratch. 14-17 year olds. Some really great juniors in the east, from New Jersey to the Carolinas.

The course, of which I played yesterday and Thursday, is presently playing very tough. The greens were stimped at 11.5 and were rolled before tee-off this morning at 7am. I always say our greens are very tough, at times nearly unfair, with some of the tougher pin placements. The AJGA set the pins for this event and did not make them any easier.

I was positioned on a hill behind the green on the always very difficult par 3, 8th, which from the blue tees, shows about 170 yds on the card. Today it was set about 160, but with the steep slope to the green, I always add at least 15 yards. More with wind. Today it was playing about 185. Many of these kids have never played this course, though there was a specified practice round for them yesterday if they so chose to take advantage of it. Gauging distance can be tough here even with some experience. The practice round was imperative, but some couldn't make it. They paid dearly today as a result.

I saw many great shots today, but more not-so-great into that green. That's understandable when you don't know how much extra club is needed, which many obviously did not. However, the bigger problem was the difficulty of the green, due to its excessive slope, undulation, the pin location and the speed, not unlike many most of the other greens on this course. I watched kids make great shots into the green, but left themselves in places with un-makeable putts, yet only 10-15 feet from the hole. I really felt bad for some who got beat by some of the toughest greens they had ever played on. There were many complaints about the greens. Not the quality, just the difficulty. And frankly, most were warranted. The pin position on the 8th, IMO, was unfair. I have birdied that hole many times over the years, but where that pin was today, the only birdies I saw were from less than 4 feet, uphill. And even they were no gimmes. The common theme when you talked to the juniors after the round was, this place is hard in general, but the greens are maniacal. There weren't any who I spoke with who felt otherwise.

I have to admit, there was a bit of satisfaction watching some of the best young players, most of whom are vying for golf scholarships (there were collage coaches all over the place today), struggle on my course. Makes my 80s and 81s feel strong, playing from about the same distance they played today. (Actually they were set up at about 6600. I typically play the blues at 6525. However, I go for par 5s in 2 once in a blue moon. Every other one of them was going for it.) I can't remember 4 putting more than 3 or 4 times over the last year. I saw at least 10 4-putts on 8 today and a couple 5 putts.

The leader after the 1st round was at +1, 73. There were some who shot 25-35 over. The average score was in the mid-80s. These are low, single digit golfers! This course is hard to begin with, but set up for this event maybe even a little bit harder. I don't know for sure, but I would bet the average putts for the round for the whole field was over 36, based on what I witnessed myself today on 8 and the complaints about how difficult the greens are.

Tomorrow ought to be even more fun. Colder, 50s, with 15-20 mph wind. It's gonna be a massacre out there, and the greens will likely be even faster with the wind drying them out. Golf today (and nearly every day) at Worthington Manor was hard. Golf tomorrow should be even harder. Glad I'm watching from my official scorer's cart.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:00 am

I'm playing today and the wind is kicking. Last night it was blowing so hard my dog wanted to sleep on me. He's 40lb trying to sleep on my chest.

This went on for a good hour. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 pm

That is why we don't allow dog in bed at home. We let him in when we're on vacation though and he always winds up near my head, and I end up huddled on the edge trying not to fall off. Sleeping can be hard.
no more polo shirts

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:20 pm

I shot 87 and I'm proud of it.

It was a shit show with the wind today. My chipping is what killed me, thin fat thin fat. With some normal chips it's easy a 81-83. And on that course with 20-30mph winds I'm happy.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Crazy in the 2nd round. Cold and windy. My young buddy who plays to a 4 hdcp shot 94. I was positioned on hole 8 again today doing the scoring (It's the highest and windiest spot on the course. I froze my ass off.) There were 77 single digit players in the field today, with only 1 birdie and 22 pars. Oh, and a much easier hole location than yesterday. Only two 4 putts today with no 5 putts.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:49 pm

It was really hard out there today. We weren't quite as cold, just under 60. But I never took my jacket off thanks to the wind.

Also the greens were rocks today so hitting into one down wind and holding it was tough. Even with a wedge.

16 is par 5 with an elevated green that slopes front to back. One of the guys I was playing with hit lw from 95 yards down wind. It landed 5' short of the hole and released to the back fringe giving him a 35' birdie putt.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Sounds like fun. I need to get out there again at some point.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 am

I have a different reason for why golf is hard. Yesterday in the cold and 25-30 mph wind, after I finished my responsibilities of the tourney, I played with my golf buddy, a 28+ handicap and a cardioligist. Just the two of us. We had the place to ourselves. She is blond, beautiful, and hot. It was hard difficult. :o

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:45 am

Country club problems :nope
no more polo shirts

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 12, 2018 10:28 pm

So my game is really struggling. I did some shot by shot analysis and I'm about 2.2 shots worse in my six official rounds this year than I was during my last 20 official rounds last season. I'm down 2 strokes in putting alone and my chipping is off another stroke - my ball striking is actually better. Very concerning as my short game is the backbone of my game. Finally I took a look at the first six rounds of last season and they were even worse than this year, so I guess I'm just not an early season player even if I have had lots of prep rounds.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 26, 2018 10:28 am

Another short story (long-winded post) from your resident obsessive golf enthusiast and Titleist loyalist:

So, my regular golf buddy, Bernie, set up a tee time last week for himself and one of his old college buddies to play yesterday. He asked me last week if I would like to join them. To be honest, as much as I enjoy playing with him, I sometimes find it hard to stay in the game when I play with him. We typically play together a couple times a week. He's about a 14 or 15 handicap and has to tell me about every single shot he makes and what went wrong as if I am waiting with bated breath to hear his self-analysis. I love ya buddy, but I have my own problems. Even so, I tend to help him through every round and he would be the first to tell you that I have helped him improve more in the last year and a half since we have started to play together, than he did in the previous 25 years. Unfortunately, I tend to play with little purpose when playing with him, often treating my time on the course with him a bit too casually. So, when he mentioned his buddy was a much better golfer, my competitive juices started to stir and all of a sudden, I was excited to play, particularly when he told me that the guy gets his rocks off beating him every time they play.

Well, on Wednesday, they played together somewhere else (a much easier course---University of Maryland) and my buddy Bernie played well. Gave the old college buddy a scare. Bernie shot 83 compared to his 80. Too close for comfort I guess, 'cause he made excuses the whole drive home. I guess Bernie had already mentioned that I was going to be playing with them at Worthington of Friday. The guy asked Bernie about me and my game. Bernie told him a little and said that I had helped him a lot with his short game since last year and that I am usually 6 or 7 strokes better than him when we play and keep score. I have a feeling that got in his head for some reason.

When I got to the course, they had been there warming up for 1/2 an hour. As I was introduced to this guy, I could see a look in his eye like he was sizing me up. From there, he headed over to the chipping green and I stood around shooting the shit with some of the guys that work there. I glanced over and saw him chipping and my first reaction was, "How does he beat Bernie?" His chipping stroke looked like a 30 handicapper's. Bernie's is much, MUCH better. I then walked over to the range with my Orange Whip and a few clubs. I swung the Orange Whip a few times and then went through my warm up. I hit everything well. Every shot. I went through a series of various length chips and pitches with my 54*, each doing exactly as planned. I noticed out of the corner of my eye, that the guy was sitting in their cart, not taking his eyes off me. Waiting. Waiting and watching. So I put on a show for him. I went through my whole routine a second time since I was swinging so well. I hit to target after target with really nice swings and tempo. I was trying to get in his head. Then I started chipping and pitching to the smallest of targets, with each attempt within a couple feet. He saw it all. Never took his eyes off me. I kept discreetly checking to make sure he didn't miss a shot.

I walked up to my cart and as I approach Bernie said, that "they" decided to play the white tees today, for a "fun" day. Bernie always plays the blues with me. I said, "Okay, but I'm playing the blues." By this point, the only interaction I had had with this college buddy of Bernie's was a 20 second introduction. Not a single word otherwise. Only his surveillance of me and mine of him.

We get to the first tee and I go first, since I was on the blue tees. Drive was nothing special. A bit of a double cross actually, as I had been hitting big draws on the practice tee 5 minutes earlier, so of course, set up for another one off the first tee. It went straight. On a dog-leg left, going straight left me 200+ yards out, in rough. Bernie hit a good drive in the fairway and his buddy ended up in a fairway bunker, up ahead of me. So I went first. Decided to go after it with a FW since it wasn't too bad of a lie in the rough. Hit it dead nuts. Straight. To the front of the green. Boom. I made my statement!

Mr. college buddy took two to get out of the fairway bunker....and another two to get to the green. He was sweating profusely. It was only about 78 degrees at the time. He probably carded a 7 or 8. Rough start. Poor guy.

On the 2nd, another forced carry over a ravine and then dogleg left, we all went through the fairway into rough on the other side. Again, I hit a long club just right of the green. I wasn't really watching those guys, but did notice a few poor shots out of Mr. college buddy before he got the ball close to the green, leaving him a pitch from deep rough. I had a flop from deep rough myself, which I pulled off cleanly. He shanked his pitch further into the rough, then bladed the next over the green. I was starting to feel sorry for him.

Don't worry. The story doesn't go on much longer.

On the difficult par 4 third hole, #1 handicap, it did not go much better for him. I played it exactly as planned. Though my putting was only average. (The greens are still transitioning from aeration 2 1/2 weeks ago and were actually much faster than they had been only two days ago.) It took a few more holes to get the speed right. By the time Bernie and I got to the green, after watching Mr. college buddy shank a couple more, I was not too worried about taking him down. That wasn't going to be a problem. As it turned out, the guy picked up after missing the green with his 4th or 5th shot.

On the 4th hole, another difficult long par 4, When we got to the green Bernie was there, I was there, but Mr. college buddy was nowhere to be found. Bernie said, he quit. He's done. Toast. I said "Two holes in a row?" Bernie said, "No, for the day." I looked up at their cart and there was only one bag still on it. Mr. college buddy was trekking back to the clubhouse done for the day, maybe forever.

Golf is hard. :breaking

So, it was just me and Bernie the rest of the way and I shot a typical 82. He shot 88. Same old, same old. Boring (like my stories). At least we had separate carts and I didn't have to hear every thought of his every swing. We drove our separate ways.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 26, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks for the story, good times.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 26, 2018 10:57 am

Reporting from Orange County CA and for the golfers of this area golf is indeed hard. I watched some high school kids at the range and they mostly stank. Come on, OC is the birthplace of the greatest golfer of all time. Where is the pride?
no more polo shirts

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon May 28, 2018 12:04 am

I played behind some local high school kids and yes, they were indeed terrible.