2017 Year-End Totals

DougE
dogs: 1

2017 Year-End Totals

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:30 am

So how'd you all fare for the year? I want details. It's winter, there's no golf right now and I need golf fodder to keep me entertained.

For me:

Played 197 rounds, of which maybe 20 were 9 hole rounds. My highest yearly total ever. I also practiced many evenings out on the course, often walking 5 or 6 holes, after public play stopped each day. I would usually have those holes all to myself. Those eves are NOT included in the 197 rounds. Doubt I'll play any more rounds in 2017. Temps not supposed to get above freezing for a couple weeks.

Busted my budget. Spent $8007 total on golf-related stuff.

After paying my membership fees, cart fees were the highest expense category at $2002.
(And, I walked a lot more this year and was also given free carts a number of times by some of my buddies who work at the pro shop desk. That number could easily have been a lot higher without those freebies.)

In addition, also spent:
$1514 on golf equipment
$698 on golf clothing
$291 on outside day trips to other courses.
$0 on destination golf trips
$0 on instruction (but, got a bunch of free help from my club pro.)
$0 on tournament fees (That's gonna change next season. I'm trying to organize some events with my club pro's help.)
$402 on miscellaneous stuff (like tees, golf gloves, replacement cleats, grips, etc.) Also got a gift of 13 Golf Pride MCC grips which would have added another 140-150 bucks.

All and all, an expensive year. That potential new membership deal I spoke of in another thread would certainly save me a ton.

Performance-wise....
I played some pretty good golf, mostly in the 2nd half of the year, though shot most of my lowest scores early on when I was playing shorter tees. 74 was my lowest score this year...from the white tees. I switched to blue tees in June, after playing white tees regularly for many years and surprisingly, played the longer distance very comfortably. This was mostly as a result of some swing changes I made which made me realize I had a lot more potential. I have since found more effortless power over the last 2-3 months and have continued to play the blue tees even in the cold. It seems to have been a real turning point for my game. Now, if I can just stay healthy! I have never hit drives as long as I am now, ever! When I was younger, my swing was nowhere near as efficient. I'm no JFish, but I can now play with most anybody from the blues and not feel overly embarrassed my being 60 or 70 yards short of them. I'm still gonna need longer approach clubs than JFish, but, my iron play has been good too, so, I'm not too worried about it. One little injury and this all may change, but for now, I'm happy with my game. I shot a bunch of scores in the higher 70s from the blue tees. Would have never believed that to be possible, prior to this season.

Finished the season at 7.5 index, a few points lower than when the season started. Played most of my rounds on a 137 slope golf course, not easy by any means, with an average score of 81.5, on some of the toughest greens you'll ever have to putt on. Yes, it was a very good year. My best ever. I'm happy, except for the blown budget.

srogers13

Re: 2017 Year-End Totals

Post by srogers13 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 am

Some of us are not done golfing for the year.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 am

I am really bad with the numbers but I think I can say I've played 10 or 11 times in November and December! That's quite active for me. Overall it was a good year, that is my impression at least. I got out a little bit, played Wild Turkey and Ballyowen in New Jersey and two trips to Bethpage Black.

Most significantly for me probably is that this year marks the end of a phase. I was exiled to the driving range for much of 2015, all of 2016 and around half of 2017. On March 27th, I started that Nick Faldo drill thread. That was a major turning point and probably what I will remember most about the year.

Sorry Doug, not a very on-topic reply.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 am
Some of us are not done golfing for the year.
Yes, I know. I jumped the gun for a few of you. So, now that you know this thread is here, you have four five or six days left to get your thoughts together and add up your final totals. I'll expect your report on my desk on Tuesday! ;)

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:34 pm

I barely played, maybe 6 or 8 times this year...marital strife will do that.

Greens fees were about $300 if that.

As a consequence, my play was bad and is better forgotten.
Throw me another ball will ya!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm

• I am roughly at $5000 spent with 120 rounds recorded for stats and posted (I walked 80 of them), plus a few more where I didn't.
  • I played (terribly) at Spanish Bay for the first time, taking advantage of a nice NCGA discount on the green fee, of "only" $150.
  • I also played tournaments at a few high-end courses in the area with my Associate Club (roaming club without a home).
  • I didn't take a golf trip per se, but went to Hawaii several times (we have a place there) and got to golf there too.
  • My game improved by over 2 points on the index, and am in the 8.x since mid-August, so this is the first year I am a real single-digit handicapper after dipping in the 9.x a a few times in the last couple of years.
  • I broke 80 30 times, with the latest one being...
  • ... my lowest round yet at 74, on a par 70 course from the white tees at 5800yds, but I'll take it! :banana
  • My putting is still getting better with about 3% of 3-putts (slightly worse than one every 2 rounds) and just over 30 putts per round total. I even had a round of 24 putts (12 1-putts and 6 2-putts), courtesy of missing the green so much!
  • My driving has improved, not so much in FIR, but in distance (perhaps 15 yds?), and the misses are just off the fairway, in light rough most of the time.
  • My short game has improved too, with about 45% of up-and-downs and 35% of scrambling (some of those up-and-downs are for bogey!)
  • My iron game is better too (at least the misses are), but the GIR percentage still needs work.
  • I scored 68 birdies and one eagle. I even had 3 birdies in a round, three times, still chasing 4 in a round...
  • My greenside bunker play has become atrocious (leaving the ball in the bunker or blading it over the green) and is now a glaring weakness that I need to fix.
That sums it up. It's been my best year yet and I hope to still improve a little bit in 2018, but I feel like I am getting close to reaching my maximum potential.

Oh, and I forgot the best part: I had a hole in one from 174 yds in February! :fk :yess Indeed, it was a good year (for my golf, at least).
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 am

SJD, very good year. Impressive. Sounds like you've been playing a lot of golf. Are you posting on SG360 anymore?

BTW, you dropped your handicap a lot more than just a couple points. I went from 7.9 to 7.5. That was a 4 point drop. If I understand you, it seems like you went from 10.something down to 8.something. That's 2 STROKES. Major congrats for a job well done.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who spent some major bucks on the game.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:31 pm

DougE wrote: SJD, very good year. Impressive. Sounds like you've been playing a lot of golf. Are you posting on SG360 anymore?
Thanks, Doug. Yes, It was a good year and I am playing quite a bit. Not having a job helps with that, as you know! I have actually never signed on SG360. I moved on to my own database, which I was also doing in parallel to OOB so I saved a bunch of aggravation when it was time to move on. I am also on USHandicap.com, but it could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't lose any score, just some views of some statistics.
DougE wrote: BTW, you dropped your handicap a lot more than just a couple points. I went from 7.9 to 7.5. That was a 4 point drop. If I understand you, it seems like you went from 10.something down to 8.something. That's 2 STROKES. Major congrats for a job well done.
You are right, I dropped about 2 strokes: I'll finish the year at 8.3 after being around 8.5 since mid-August. Since I got more serious about golf, I was in the 16s and 17s in 2011, in the 13s and 14s in 2012, around 12.5 at the end of 2013, spent 2014 in the 11s, and 2015 and 2016 in the 10s with brief incursions in the high 9s, As you recall, 2016 was a wash year as I was sick and it took me a long time to recover. Btw, silly me thinking that a point (before the decimal) would be called a point. I am familiar with the term basis points in things like interest rates and whatnot, but I learned another thing about golf today. Cheers, Doug.
DougE wrote: Glad to see I'm not the only one who spent some major bucks on the game.
I would rather not, but I am addicted, as many of us are on this site. I figured that even if I signed up for a membership around here, it would be that much (especially when add cart fees) and at least I have more freedom to play at more courses: I have my regulars of course, but once in a while, I go to a different one.
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:39 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:31 pm
Thanks, Doug. Yes, It was a good year and I am playing quite a bit. Not having a job helps with that, as you know! I have actually never signed on SG360. I moved on to my own database, which I was also doing in parallel to OOB so I saved a bunch of aggravation when it was time to move on. I am also on USHandicap.com, but it could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't lose any score, just some views of some statistics.
I think this forum needs to get it's own tracking program so we can enter scores and stats here. :thumbs
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:32 pm

It turns out my record keeping wasn't very good this year. Approximately 120 rounds, which makes sense as i probably played 40-50 extra rounds due to my job transition and a normal year is around 70 rounds.
Approximately $8000 dollars which includes my wife and son for their occasional golf needs which makes sense as I spent about $2000 setting up my 2nd set of clubs and the 40-50 extra rounds probably cost $2000, so other than those two items a normal year.
Played 4 bucket list courses - Seaside at Sea Island, Crooked Stick, Somerset Hills, and Trump Bedminster.
Only downside is uneven play. Had a strong section of the summer but overall didn't play as well as 2016. Too much problem driving the ball. Also likely too much playing and not enough practice when things went bad. Trying to correct that during the off season.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:48 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm
Oh, and I forgot the best part: I had a hole in one from 174 yds in February! :fk :yess Indeed, it was a good year (for my golf, at least).
Sweeeeeet!
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Okay, well, you did ask.

Basically, for me, golf sucks. It's expensive, *ucking tiring, and I can't play it, at least not at my club's new home course. It's long, it's tiring, tricky, and some of the bunkers are *ucking deep. Basically my game isn't up to scratch.

And I have tendonitis in my left elbow (a.k.a. Tennis Elbow) so sometimes have difficulty lifting even quite light things without pain, which means I've not actually picked up a golf club since 5th November.

Oh, you want numbers?!
  • 36 - Individual rounds (plus one Texas Scramble fourball)
  • 1 - Round of 14 holes of practice
  • 16 - Stableford rounds
  • 34 - Best 18 holes stableford score (twice)
  • 19 - Strokeplay rounds
  • 94 - Best 18 holes strokeplay gross score (twice round a nine-hole course whilst on holiday)
  • 99 - Best 18 holes strokeplay gross score at home course (in my first round of the year, and the only time I've ever broken 100 there)
  • 109.6 - Average Gross 18 holes score (at home)
  • 84 - Average Net 18 holes score (at home)
  • 0 - Birdies at home course
  • 2 - Birdies at other courses
  • 53 - Pars
  • 198 - Bogeys
  • 1.9 - Putts
  • 30 - GiR (5%)
  • 2.1 - Putts per GiR
As Beef once GIF'd to me: "Unacceptable!", but I might add, not much fun, at least not in reflection.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.