Credit Cards

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Credit Cards

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Assuming one uses a credit card, do you chase points, miles or cash back? Which card is your "go to" card? What sort of deal do you get?

I am a bit of a miles/cash back chaser. Detroit is a hub for Delta so we both have Delta Skymiles cards from Amex. We pretty much only use them for purchasing Delta tickets as that is the only buy that gets one double miles.

We have a smattering of other Visa/MC cards that have unique features for certain situations. For example, we have a Chase Sapphire just for the $10,000 of trip cancellation insurance they include for "free". We charge European tours and other large travel purchase on that card to get the free insurance.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Re: Credit Cards

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 am

I'm probably different from most here. First, I use credit cards for almost everything. I've come to dislike cash, especially change, and so I use it as little as possible. This can lead to some really large statements when you pay for everything with cc, and I have two college kids who have my cc to use for certain items.

Second, I only have two cc's and I've had both for at least 30 years. One is an Amex which was originally for business travel but has morphed into the go to card for everything. Has a good points program and the best dispute resolution service which is why we use it. The other is a Mastercard that was issued with a lifetime no annual fee guarantee. Might not have the best points/cash program but no annual fee so I've never seen reason to replace it.

So here's the question - what do you use your points / cash back for? For the Mastercard I usually wait until they have a reward special and then cash all my points into gift cards which I then will use to pay for several rounds of golf. I don't know why, just something I started doing. For the Amex, for some reason it has to be a special occasion to use points - a big trip to Bermuda several years ago, an occasional Broadway show for the family - but nothing ordinary. Not sure why, but that's just how I do it. Funny thing is my last few big occasions for some reason the points wouldn't work,so my points have kept building. I've got quite a lot at this point - need a really good reason to use some.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 am
So here's the question - what do you use your points / cash back for?
We are somewhat like you. I try to charge everything as long as there is no service fee associated - so no taxes or car payments. Everything else goes on a card.

Amex is Delta Miles so those are used for air travel. We have flown to Europe on tickets through the program and currently have enough to do it again. We did Italy last year with our Chase card points.

Currently, when I accumulate enough points on a card (other than Amex), I purchase a TJ Maxx/Homegoods/Marshalls gift card and give it to the spouse. It gives her an excuse to go out and get something for herself or the home.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

We don't really use CC's much.

We stick with our debit card and just dont keep too much money in our checking account in case the card number gets stolen (which has happened 4 or 5 times, but we got a refund for all false transactions).

We use CCs for larger things that will take a little movement of money to cover, as well as some online things (Amazon prime, hulu, netflix are all set up on CC for some reason).

I know my current CC sucks, but given the lack of use I don't plan to update it until it expires later this year.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:01 am

I use to put everything on my CC for the points. But my wife is a little weary of them even though both of us are good with our finances.

She looks at her siblings who both have major CC issues (to the extent that we were asked by her sister to lock up all 8 of her CC's :o ).
Keep it short stupid.