2018 Spring Support Group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2018 Spring Support Group

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:42 pm

This might be a repeat complaint but damnit, it still feels fresh.

We have entered the period of the most frustrating weather on Earth. Every day now in the Northeast, we face the binary choice between shivering and sweating.

I really hate being underdressed so I always choose sweat. Most people evidently choose shivering but I can't do that. If I am underdressed I tend to get the shits. That's right, being cold makes me want to poop don't act like you don't know what I am talking about.

There is no way of dressing perfectly for this weather. I choose to cover up and invariably I overheat and when I overheat my mind also overheats and when that happens I usually lash out at the world.

I haven't played (golf) in a while. Ugh, just not appealing these days. Let's count the ways.
  • Turf still in winter condition, only softer
  • Greens in recovery from aeration
  • Constant wind
  • Crowding
  • Slow play
  • Regular season rates
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: 2018 Spring Support Group

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:28 pm

I hear you. Right now pretty much sucks.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 pm

That sounds terrible.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:51 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 pm
That sounds terrible.
:lolz
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Jeez MattF you get up early.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Some of you people likely have no idea what this thread is about. Hell, I live through it and didn't really get it until BK--like one of the big pharmaceutical companies--helped me to understand and recognize this particular problem a couple years ago.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:28 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm
Jeez MattF you get up early.
Up by 5.30 Monday to Friday.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am

Welcome to summer.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed May 02, 2018 12:11 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am
Welcome to summer.
This week.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 03, 2018 10:19 am

Straight from unseasonable cold to unseasonable hot. 90s today.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 08, 2018 11:29 am

Already I miss the cold weather.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 08, 2018 12:28 pm

My new season rankings are out and there's a big shakeup at the bottom.

Best seasons of the year (tri-state region):
1. fall
2. winter
3. summer
4. spring

That's right Jack, spring and summer have swapped places.

Summer was previously the perennial worst but in 2018, summer offers a predictability that is now welcome in these topsy turvy, uncertain times. In a mid-Atlantic springtime, you never know what you are going to get. Trying to dress suitably for this weather causes me existential agony. That is when I usually start to question the whole notion of society and civilization and why are we doing all this? Hobbes claimed that life outside of society is nasty, brutish and short but are we really sure about all that? Fuckin' Hobbes never had to live and work in NYC. Things have changed since the 16th century or whatever.

Anyways I am getting sidetracked. Now-a-days, spring's lone remaining virtue is that it marks the end of winter. Otherwise, springtime is the cause of more annoyance than joy.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Fuck this shit!

Ha ha, remember when that was a popular catchphrase? Okay so it's not really a catchphrase, and was only popular with me, but still.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 am

Based on my cursory analysis of the level of activity up in here, spring is actually a more insidious time for golfers than winter. I would bet that, if such a thing could be measured, that morale is at an annual low right now. I've played, like one round in the last month. :puke

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm

The high today was 45 degrees. Breezy, cloudy and then it rained for my last 9 holes. I pushed on since tomorrow is forecast to be worse. It has been a while since I played in the rain. Keeps the crowds down. :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I am surprised how many people do not realize how good you can play in decent golf rain gear. But does not break my heart.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Playing in a little rain with good FJ raingear far outweighs playing on a sunny, over-crowded golf course full of fairweather hackers.

Those of us who rough it in all sorts of unfriendly weather out there, from cold and wind and snow and rain, IMO, should be rewarded come perfect days in the spring and summer. We've earned the right to have no one in front of us slowing us down and no one behind us pushing us. Where were all these "enthusiasts" when we were out there suffering in the rough stuff, paying our dues and worshiping the golf gods?

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Funny I read this and took my rain suit with me today - I never do - and actually wore it for the whole round and we got dumped on for one hole. I never fell comfortable, however, with the rain pants over my regular pants - doesn't feel right. I think if I play tomorrow I'm just wearing shorts under rain pants - seems the way to stay dry and comfortable.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am

Ah, Spring. Been raining here all week. Course is soaked, but finally turning solid green everywhere. Greens were aerated with huge holes 10-11 days ago and they are already healing up nicely due to the warm, sunny and rainy mix of conditions since. Another week or two and they will be back and in US Open qualifying condition. The rough, though being mowed twice a week, is nearly unplayable. It is so thick. Extremely penalizing. Even more so when it's wet. Cost me at least 2-3 strokes on the one day I was able to play this week when the rain was a little lighter (Wed.). (It rained lightly and also spritzed the whole round, but not so much that I bothered with an umbrella or rain gear.) Balls that find the cabbage and long grass areas, which make up so much of the trouble on this course, have no chance of being found, let alone played. With the snakes, ticks and who knows what other icky-eeewies lurking within, I would not attempt to even look for a ball that obviously went in to that crap. (I could easily find and play most of those shots in winter. Hence many 74-79 scores.)

I'm going to try to play again today with my regular golf buddy. The forecast is for rain all day. Hopefully, it won't be a complete washout, but will rain enough to stop the fairweather golfers from even thinking about coming out. Even with Cart Path Only, we should be able to take our time, hit extra shots, and get around in 3 hours or so. Other than the fact that the course is soft and is stealing 10-20 yards of roll-out from our drives, playing golf in the middle of spring, on a golf course in near perfect condition (albeit it with US Open rough), and basically having the place to ourselves is a real treat. A little rain must fall to accomplish it, but, we'll live.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm

This rough is killing me (and everyone else). This shot is from 10 feet off the fairway.
IMG_4640.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG (2.98 MiB) Viewed 777 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

That rough is too long for everyday play. :nope

On the other hand, it's been raining a lot. I would imagine it's a struggle to keep things trimmed.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 pm

They are mowing rough twice a week. But, with all the rain, they can't keep up. I noticed on some holes today, in an effort to make sure they get to all holes, they are only mowing 20 feet or so from the fairway. The rest of the rough (further out than that 20 feet) is being passed over for now I guess. The 137 slope rating should go up to about 145 with this rough. The playable area of the course has been reduced by a good percentage.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 19, 2018 9:26 am

Inspired by Dougie, I am going to attempt to slog it out in the wet n rain today. Neshanic Valley, very nice course I hear, offering some real bargain bin tee times for whatever reason. Probably full of aeration holes. :nope No salt, I said no salt on the margarita :onfire

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 pm

We slogged it out, me and ms beef. Cart path only on a big, wide course :facepalm At least they had nice raincovers on the cart. Very wet, and light rain all day. Wet feet, wet grips, clubface, there was no fighting it. We had fun though and as our reward encountered zero people in front or behind. Saw maybe two other carts in the whole place, off in the distance. Golf conditions ended up being pretty fair. Good drainage, so no casual water drops. Putts did splash around a little though. All in all about as good as rainy conditions get. Gotta love foul-weather golf.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't know where you played today but I forgot to mention that one of the benefits of Neshanic (and Quail Brook) is that it is probably the best draining course ever. Even after hurricane rains roll through it's very rarely cart path only. Quail brook drains well too. Spooky Brook drains good but not as much as the others. I have a whole new world to learn.