2018 summer support group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 summer support group

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm

So yes, today is the humidest day of my life.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:58 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 pm
Humidity has now reached tragicomic level. For the last month, every day has been humider than the last. That means that anytime you see me, it's on the humidest day of my life.
Love me some office space.
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm
So yes, today is the humidest day of my life.
:lolz
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm

I haven't swung a club yet this summer. I suck.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:12 am

jfurr wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm
I haven't swung a club yet this summer. I suck.
Literally haven't swung? Or just haven't played a proper golf round? If it's the former, I am impressed. I think I've played twice maybe. I've swung the club though maybe about two million times since the start of June.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:11 pm

I played a work charity captains choice back in May I think haven’t touched clubs since. But if SRogers is still coming I’ll put together a round.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Still coming, got a room booked in Columbia for that Saturday night.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Today I realize that I don't actually hate summer. Only the golfer in me. The inner child in me still loves summer. Sad. Summer is unkind for the golfer, or maybe just the NYC golfer.

I wouldn't hate summer golf so much if we could just dress as we do for running or working out--i.e. for comfort and performance. Enough of this gayass fake-genteel country club polo shirt khaki shorts image. The majority of golfers in 2018 do NOT belong to country clubs no offense to Dougie obviously. Makes no sense in my mind for any majority to be forced by rule and regulation to dress as wannabes of the minority. Don't start with the microfiber talk, I have it, I use it, it is not the answer. As long as I am forced to wear a shirt with a collar and shorts with a belt, I am not free. Like the great Eugene V. Debs once said, or something. There is little to nothing athletic about what is essentially a business office "casual Friday" getup and in 2018 golf should be considered as an athletic activity.

Also being out in the heat for more than like, 3 hours is too much. Maybe I come off like an old woman, but hey, I am still getting carded when I buy beer. That's because this old woman doesn't have a leathery face from habitually going out and standing in the summer sun for five plus hours at a time, waiting to hit golf shots.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:10 pm
Maybe I come off like an old woman, but hey, I am still getting carded when I buy beer. That's because this old woman doesn't have a leathery face from habitually going out and standing in the summer sun for five plus hours at a time, waiting to hit golf shots.
Yeah, I still get carded too. But not to see if I'm old enough to buy beer. Just as to whether or not I can get the senior discount! :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:52 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
I wouldn't hate summer golf so much if we could just dress as we do for running or working out--i.e. for comfort and performance.
I don't belong to a club but I have to disagree. The problem isn't relaxing the dress code. The problem is that then people take it too far. Nobody wants to see a tank top on the golf course, at least I don't. I haven't been playing long enough to be a traditionalist and there's lots of golf that needs updating, but I don't think it's asking too much to require a collared shirt - the course isn't the gym. And BTW turn off the music while you're playing - that seems to be a big thing down here - I come to the course to get away from electronics, not hear it blaring at me. Try talking to your playing partners - you might find someone interesting, or someone you hate, but how would you know (I finding Southerners, who are overly social, seem to be less social on the course than Yankees which is very perplexing).

And I only get carded when the waitress thinks that's getting her a bigger tip.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Yeah, I fall on the traditionalist side. I personally don't think the golf course is a place for tank tops, tee shirts, jeans or loud stereos. It's about respecting the game, and the traditions of the game. It's what attracted me to golf as a young teen. If I wanted otherwise, I would have taken up skateboarding. I am not a private country club member, but thankfully, my club is upscale enough that a golf dress code is enforced.

Even most muni courses have golf dress codes, but those that don't typically have very cheap rates, low slope ratings, poor conditions and clueless golfers yelling and screaming their way around the course. Sorry, not interested in that style.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:28 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Maybe I come off like an old woman, but hey, I am still getting carded when I buy beer. That's because this old woman doesn't have a leathery face from habitually going out and standing in the summer sun for five plus hours at a time, waiting to hit golf shots.
Yeah, I still get carded too. But not to see if I'm old enough to buy beer. Just as to whether or not I can get the senior discount! :facepalm
:rofl Me too!
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:53 am

Wear a shirt or upper body garment of some sort. Wear some type of shorts or pants. Wear some sort of foot wear that won't damage the green. You are good to go in my book as long as you replace divots/fill divot holes, fix pitch marks, carefully rake bunkers and keep up with the pace of play.

As far as carding, they glance at me and input a date like 11/11/11. I told a cashier once, "Hey, I am not THAT old!! She just smiled.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 am

I am not talking about all the time and I am certainly not ever in favor of playing music out of speakers. Where the goddamn hell does an accusation like that come from? Because I want a little comfort from the 90+ degree peak summer heat and humidity?!

Obviously there will always be slobs in the world, whose clothes you do not approve. So what, let it go in my opinion. I understand where you are coming from but one cannot place too many expectations on the outside world. For instance, people are now buzzing all over the city on electric powered skateboards. The sight makes my blood boil but at the end of the day, it's not my business and aside from the visual annoyance, doesn't really affect me. I have to let it go.

All's I am advocating is that golf clothes evolve at an appropriate rate. People sometimes will cite golf's past, saying, "Well at least we don't have to wear a coat and tie anymore!" as if that somehow justifies the current state of bullshit. Listen to me, believe me later, in the future, people will look back at pique polo shirts, khaki shorts, woven leather belts, saddle-style golf shoes, etc... and they will laugh their ass off at how uptight people used to be. Even in 2018 archetypically dressed golfers do not look like their are about to do something athletic. I reject that. To me, golf is active, it's intense, it's sweaty. Listen jack, I play the game the way it's meant to be played. I am not there to network, I am not there to make new friends, I am not there to make small talk, I am not there to hit on female golf course staff. I am there for ONE reason only: try and get the ball in the hole. Far as golf purism goes, I think that makes me the purist of all. So please do not come at me pointing fingers talking about blasting music out of speakers.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:52 pm
I finding Southerners, who are overly social, seem to be less social on the course than Yankees which is very perplexing.
So from my stint in Nashville I found that the "welcoming" nature in the south is just a joke. People aren't open and super social to others. Well unless you go to their church then you are on the "in" and their house is always open to you. But if you go to another church or worse don't go to church (heavens to Betsy, they'll prey for your soul) then you might as well not exist.

As for what people wear I really don't care as long as it has some type of sleeved shirt and pants/shorts. I don't want to see your damn arm pit hair when you are swinging. Other than that I'm with beef. I'm not at the course to entertain you for 4-5 hours. If we don't talk the entire round I'm cool with that, but if we do I'm fine with that as well (assuming you aren't some asshole I don't feel like talking to).
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am

I wear modern-day golf clothing, not cotton pleated shorts and heavy cotton pique polos. (It's not 1985 anymore!) Nike, UA, CB, FJ, Sketchers, Adidas, etc. Made-for golf-stuff. I like the fact I can play with no hindrance of movement for 18 holes, then go to an office or a bar afterward without my clothing being all wet, stinky and wrinkled, and still fit in to the venue. I don't need compression shorts or shirts to make me feel like I am doing an athletic sport. But then again, is it really all that athletic? It's a swing. We aren't running or jogging or jumping or cage fighting. We are swinging a club every few minutes and walking a bit. I like the style and design of today's golf apparel. It fits the sport in my opinion. I tend to pick more classic looks, but it is still very modern stuff.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:27 am

I think Beef's comments are less about what you wear, and more about what golfers are expected to wear.

I'm with you Doug, I like my golf clothes to the point where I am hardly ever seen w/o a collared shirt on unless I'm doing yard work or going to the beach, pool or water park. I can't find many t-shirts I like, so I wear collared shirts frequently.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:53 pm

I was partly just trying to get a stir out of the Beef but one clear difference down here is that several courses don't have dress requirements and total sloppiness results. I mean total sloppy and I'm not a snot at all. If you look at some of the Nike guys on tour, they are often wearing shirts that are almost collarless. I've been surprised that the PGA Tour hasn't said something except for these are generally big stars. They actually look good, but I don't know how you draw the line and allow it and not allow sloppy. So I'm in favor of collars because it sets a minimally acceptable standard. And playing music on the course is big here with the younger crowd, so I associate music with sloppiness. Hey, I'm getting old enough to have the right to have stereotypes.

As to Southerners, maybe because I grew up in the South, but I find Southerners more welcoming than Northerners in almost every instance EXCEPT on the course. It's a weird thing. I am mostly playing as a single so far. In NJ, when things are reasonably busy, people just naturally group together to keep the place of play flowing. Here, you'll find a twosome that just wants to play together even though there are 5 foursomes up ahead. Weird. It seems like everywhere else you go people want to meet you but on the golf course they don't.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:03 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 am
GBOGEY wrote:
I finding Southerners, who are overly social, seem to be less social on the course than Yankees which is very perplexing.
So from my stint in Nashville I found that the "welcoming" nature in the south is just a joke. People aren't open and super social to others. Well unless you go to their church then you are on the "in" and their house is always open to you. But if you go to another church or worse don't go to church (heavens to Betsy, they'll prey for your soul) then you might as well not exist.
I tend to find the cliquish church crowd to be the main thing in Hellabama, also. Most of my friends here are not from here.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:29 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
I wouldn't hate summer golf so much if we could just dress as we do for running or working out--i.e. for comfort and performance.
The problem isn't relaxing the dress code. The problem is that then people take it too far.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm

I played the Dye Club at Barefoot once. She wasn't there. It still had plenty of moguls.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 pm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Don't care what she looks like I disdain her and anyone else who is an instagram "star." Sorry, when it comes to things like instagram "stars" I'm a crotchety old man. And I wouldn't allow that outfit at my golf club. I'm there to golf.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:03 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:35 pm
Don't care what she looks like I disdain her and anyone else who is an instagram "star." Sorry, when it comes to things like instagram "stars" I'm a crotchety old man. And I wouldn't allow that outfit at my golf club. I'm there to golf.
I agree with the first part about dumb Instagram stars.

I respect you but this comment "I wouldn't allow that outfit at my golf club. I'm there to golf" seems counterintuitive to me. Are you there to golf or condemn people's fashion choices? Judging fashion isn't part of golf in my opinion.

I am at the course to play golf and wouldn't give a flying shit if she was there too. Yeah I'd probably post about it on here given everyone knows about her, but paying attention enough to post something here later would take less than 5 min away from my 4-5 hour round.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:00 am

Yeah, I'm there to play golf too. And some babe walking around with a body like that, in an outfit like that, would not only catch my attention, but take my mind off my game, particularly if she was close by or in my group.

On the other hand, I get to play plenty of golf, so I might just give up and say "Who gives a shit about golf?" and then pay close attention to her all day. I'll focus on golf tomorrow! :thrust

I'm so conflicted.