2018 summer support group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 summer support group

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 am

Next round for me is most likely going to be indoors on a simulator. Sometime this week.

Among the perks of indoor golf: don't have to wear a polo shirt.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am

Going to simulator in a few minutes. :puke
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I am back from the simulator. It wasn't that fun and yet the time really flew by like nothing. Just hit balls on the range. I learned that I can barely hit a 6i over 150y. Surprising.

I still sweated through my shirt. I think I still prefer being outside and sweating it up. Hitting in a sim is such a different experience. I could swear there is a certain physical response to observing the ball in the air, which gets stifled when hitting at a screen. Is there a type of sim that features a quiet screen? Maybe that's still future tech, but IMO eliminating the "thwack!" of sim golf could be revolutionary. I dunno, I find it fairly unpleasant. This facility has 10 sims, adds up to a lot of thwackin.

Had a decent practice once I got acclimated. Terrible bang for the buck though. I need to practice my swinging in a slower, more thoughtful manner. Been trying to practice visualization prior to stepping over the ball and to do that takes time. How do you do that at $45/hr? I'll come back though, maybe when it's cold. I don't like it but am not going to quit on it, there is something to indoor practice. It is more cerebral, seems like. Tiger spent a lot of time in the garage hitting to a net as a kid, after dark and rainy days, says he learned a lot in there.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Not trying to sway your thoughts at all. At first I didn't like hitting indoors as much as outdoors, but now that I've done it I really prefer it.

For me I'm still playing golf swing, it's so much easier for me to do that on a simulator. Once I get more into playing golf (god I hope that is sooner rather than later) I think playing and hitting balls outside will be more enjoyable. But right now I really like messing around on the simulator when working on my swing.

But at $45/hour I dont think I'd enjoy it. Maybe I should start charging in the winter.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Interesting experience exploring new courses the last two days. Yesterday I had the chance to play at a local club. The reputation was the course was hard and tight. No my old course wasn't popular because it was so tight, but this place was unreal. The rating was 71.1/135 for only 6100 yards - not sure I've seen many ratings that strong for such a short distance. There were few holes where after the fact where the right strategy was probably laying back and then mid-iron. There was one hole where the landing area for my FW was less than 30 yards. Almost hard to the point of not fun. Course has some good stuff but not one I'm dying to play again tomorrow.

Then today I think I played my first real muni. Mind you I mainly played public golf in NJ, but the two counties where I lived are too of the richest counties in the country and the quality of the muni golf shows that - courses in great condition for muni's and nice design. This place - the club house hasn't been touched in at least 30 years. Slow greens, wide fairways running parallel to other holes, generally straight. Almost no rough because they haven't been watering and so there wasn't much there. Or maybe they were trying for a links feel - I had two drives roll out at least 50 yards. Anyway it was fun, good pace, and $22.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 am

For the moment, it's feeling not so summery outside. :banana Starting to entertain thoughts of actual golf again. Am I the only golfer in the civilized world, who sits out the summer? :facepalm On paper it sounds so very weak and lame. Unless you've been through it (summer golf in NYC), you do not judge me.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Oh my it's so freakin hot out right now. Last week we had early fall with highs in the upper 70's a couple days. Today on my lunch break I went to the range to chip/putt. Thank god I'm working from home, I was covered in sweat within 15 min. I feel like i need to dry off my driver seat in my car now and I was only out there for 30 min.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:19 pm

It's a different kind of hot too. Not so much like walking into a wet towel like before. Today the sun's rays feel extra potent and scorchy.
A golfball wizard's

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:56 am

I spent 5 hours under my truck dropping my fuel tank, replacing the pump and putting it back in...yeah, it was hot.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:30 pm

SUUUUUUUUX
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Heat advisory in effect until 8pm tonight.

Fuck-this-shit advisory in effect until TBD.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:07 am

Heat advisory over but we are still at 80+ humidity. That means more dripping sweat despite low 70s temps. This is why no great human achievements ever come from near the tropics. When it's hot all the time you can't hardly accomplish anything worthwhile.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm

I will be in Portugal for a couple weeks. While I will likely have internet access, I may find more interesting things to do than hang out on the internet. If I am even less involved than normal in our golf discussions, I have a reasonable excuse. Bon dia!!
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:24 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm
I will be in Portugal for a couple weeks. While I will likely have internet access, I may find more interesting things to do than hang out on the internet. If I am even less involved than normal in our golf discussions, I have a reasonable excuse. Bon dia!!
Tudo Bem! :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:26 am

Holy crap, it is kind of cold today.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 am

Yup, I wore long pants and a light rain jacket yesterday. It rained into late Saturday afternoon, then hard all through Saturday night and into Sunday afternoon. The course was looking like the postponed BMW at Aronimink did on TV. Bunkers were full of standing water. Fairways loaded with casual water. At 4 pm, when the rain lightened on Saturday for a couple hours, I walked the front nine and shot a 41 in very wet conditions. On Sunday, during a lull when it was mostly heavy drizzle,with the temps around 60 and 15 mph wind, in even wetter conditions with the course playing extremely long as a result, I snuck out and played the back nine in 1 over par, 37. Hmmmmm, some things just don't make sense.