Backstopping/Collusion controversy in pro golf

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Backstopping/Collusion controversy in pro golf

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Backstopping (i.e. intentionally leaving balls near the hole when they are in a position to potentially assist a fellow competitors shot) seems to have come under increasing scrutiny lately, mainly by television commentators.

Now PGA Tour player Jimmy Walker, in a Twitter argument with a former pro golfer named Michael Clayton, has openly admitted that players do this for one another as a friendly courtesy. :facepalm The pathetic part is he did not even realize, not initially at least, there was anything unethical about what he admitted to.

Not that this should surprise anyone, but for the majority of players this is just a job. It's not about the spirit of competition. It's about clawing and scratching out a living just like in any other undignified job like automobile or real estate sales. And people bitch and moan when players like Tiger Woods command a bigger share of the audience. Well duh, that guy plays strictly for the glory and guess what, people like that tend to be more entertaining to watch vis a vis people who are just doing it for the money.

no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Re: Backstopping/Collusion controversy in pro golf

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:21 am

Your silence on this matter screams complicity, to me at least. That's fine with me though. Outside of Tiger Woods making some noise at the odd tournament here or there, I am done with this make-believe crap.
no more polo shirts

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am

So when I play in tournaments my decision is based on how quickly the other player tends to play their shots. If I can get the ball and mark it w/o interrupting their routine or getting in their way then I do so. If I know they are quick I stay out of their way unless I know it won't bother them.

So for me you're getting an advantage if you are a quick player. If you are "deliberate" (ie the PC way of saying you are a slow mouth breathing pos) then I'm marking the ball.

I've never seen anyone ask me to leave a ball as a "backstop."
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Doesn't seem like a big deal. Backstop on, I say.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am
So when I play in tournaments my decision is based on how quickly the other player tends to play their shots. If I can get the ball and mark it w/o interrupting their routine or getting in their way then I do so. If I know they are quick I stay out of their way unless I know it won't bother them.

Same here. If marking is going to hold things up, I let it go. Some people ask to have it marked so then I do it. If it is within 1-2 feet I often just putt out if I don't need to stand awkwardly or in someone's line (flag removed of course). I can't recall the last time someone hit my ball and it helped them.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am

Same here. If marking is going to hold things up, I let it go. Some people ask to have it marked so then I do it. If it is within 1-2 feet I often just putt out if I don't need to stand awkwardly or in someone's line (flag removed of course). I can't recall the last time someone hit my ball and it helped them.
:onfire That's not what this is about. This is about intentional collusion on the part of professional tournament golfers. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours. Of course you guys don't see this happening in your meaningless little games because you're playing for fun, not a job.

The twitter video above couldn't be much clearer of an illustration. Both these guys are very close to the hole. One's ball is a couple feet from the hole, the other is chipping from like, 10 yards away. The flagstick is out indicating that there was plenty of opportunity to mark the ball sitting near the hole. But instead, these guys decided that because they like each other, that ball will be left in its place, so it may act as a backstop in the event the chip is hit too hard.

To me such a practice changes the very essence of the activity. It's no longer a competition, not in the purest sense. It is essentially a pyramid scheme. Aside from a few special events here and there, don't watch this shit IMO. It's a joke.
no more polo shirts