Forced Carry - Thought Process

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Forced Carry - Thought Process

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 pm

I don't like forced carries, mainly because I have such low confidence that I will actually make the carry. Never mind that I have had a reasonably successful golf "career" and I have made the carry 98% of the time.

Lately I have had such low confidence I way over club. My strategy for forced carries has devolved into "nukng the shit out of it" and hoping to get up & down from the back of (or over) the green. My strategy is go for the back of the green.

How does everyone else handle this?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Forced Carry - Thought Process

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:13 pm

I don't really think about them unless it's a 190+ yard carry. I get a yardage I want to hit the ball, figure out shot shape I want to hit and determine what club I need for those two things to match up. If there is water or something short so be it.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:00 am

Low confidence my ass. I think this is chiefly a matter of economy. With regards to strokes and the cost of replacing lost sporting goods. It's also a risk management issue. Let's face it, you don't achieve a 98% success rate with like, "low confidence". :fuckall I would bet that Kuehn's confidence-meter actually reads about the same as say, a Jasonfish's when faced with a forced carry.

Don't really have a stance myself as nobody around here is really ever forced to carry anything. Shitty courses for shitty golfers. :bawl
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 am

Likely depends on the club and distance. With my wedges and scoring irons, say 9i-7i, I have pretty high confidence in my distances. So I don't get too concerned with forced carries unless there's an issue with the lie or something. With 6i-FW my distance consistency is much lower so I'm probably wanting a 20-30 yard cushion to get over the carry and yes, then there is a much greater emphasis in getting over than being accurate or the right distance. In fact one major tendency is to hit 4H where 5i is called for - I have much greater confidence that the 4H will achieve its height and distance so I will choke down and try to hit a slight fade.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Funny, after playing my course for 3 years now, I hardly notice forced carries. HOWEVER, there are 13 or 14 of them, including 11 off of tee boxes. Some are quite long. If you ever play Worthington, make sure you have plenty of balls....and golf balls! :o

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:08 pm

I was thinking the opposite - it occurred to me how few real carries that the courses I played in NJ had. The courses I've been playing in TN have many more carries. They generally aren't an issue for my game as they aren't really what I would call dangerous carries, but the Mrs. has taken to playing with me more often and she plays a low running game so I have to pick courses that she can play.

BTW on Saturday my best shot of the weekend was likely a 3H - 193 yds to the hole slightly uphill off a side hill lie, needed 170 yds or so to clear a hazard. As BK said I basically hit the crap out of it knowing that I would at least clear the hazard and be near the green. Ball landed near the hole and unfortunately on a down slope so ended up 40 feet away, but it was a great shot. Then watching the PGA coverage yesterday saw DJ hit 2 PW's 175 yards so I was then deflated.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm

I guess it's all a matter of confidence with the shot and club. I'm probably more confident with a forced carry off the tee than a half wedge shot over water to the green simply due to being more confident with that club. You didn't give any specifics in the original post aside from it being an approach shot to the green, but is it only with certain clubs, or past a certain distance or inside a certain distance?
Bluto did it

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:00 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 pm
Funny, after playing my course for 3 years now, I hardly notice forced carries. HOWEVER, there are 13 or 14 of them, including 11 off of tee boxes. Some are quite long. If you ever play Worthington, make sure you have plenty of balls....and golf balls! :o
Curious as to your definition of a forced carry. I wouldn't think of something being a forced carry off the tee of a par 4 or 5 unless it was +125/+150 Yards? Of course, I'm not counting where you have to cover 50-100 yards of rough to reach the fairway, just those places where there is a hazard or such in the way. My old home course actually had 6 carries over potential hazards, but three of them were around 75-100 yards and you were either hitting driver or a +170 shot so they really weren't part of the shot process (of course occasionally you hit a real FUBAR). The other 3 you had to think about in terms of what shot you were hitting, what club, and risk and reward. The course I've played the most since moving only has 4 carries but each is a real hazard in front of the green so you have to pay attention.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:42 pm

A forced carry is any area of course of substantial depth (distance front to back) which requires you make a good shot to clear it, or you lose the ball if you don't. So, a driver off the tee with 100 yards of wetlands between the tee and the first playable location typically rough) is a forced carry. A wetland area in front of a green that requires getting nearly all the way to the green to clear the wetlands with your approach shot, from 150-200 yards out (depending on how far you hit your drive) is a forced carry. Hitting from one side of a valley of wetlands up to the higher, other side of the valley is a forced carry if there is no other way to get there. Every forced carry on Worthington is over an area that is unplayable, typically wetlands or water. I am not counting rough either. Basically, every forced carry at Worthington of which I am referring to, is an area that MUST be carried. There is just no alternative, other than going completely in a direction not conducive to making a reasonable score, like out to another fairway, playing the wrong way down that fairway, and then back towards the pin on your hole.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 pm

What are 'wetlands'? Is that like marsh?
Bluto did it

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 pm
What are 'wetlands'? Is that like marsh?
Essentially yes, but in some states there are strong environmental protections so they can be even worse.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:42 pm
Every forced carry on Worthington is over an area that is unplayable, typically wetlands or water. I am not counting rough either. Basically, every forced carry at Worthington of which I am referring to, is an area that MUST be carried.
If that's the case I totally agree with you. Generally I would say that 100 yards of carry off the tee box isn't a challenge for most regular golfers, but 150 could be especially if it gets in someone's head.