Tiger Woods's Stinger

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Tiger Woods's Stinger

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:21 pm

Anyone have any ideas how he does it? I don't. But to be able to hit a full blooded low long iron, that actually runs, is something I aspire to. I would hit it all the time on par 4s. If only because it looks tre cool.

I suspect a shot like this is more or less out of reach for most amateurs. I think you need exceptional clubface control and pinpoint contact.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

DougE

Re: Tiger Woods's Stinger

Post by DougE » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:06 pm

It's basically a punch shot. He uses a delofted 2 or 3 iron, or even sometimes a 3W, and lots of swing speed. Ball back in stance, hands ahead of clubhead well past impact. Very shallow path from inside, with little to no divot, so as not to create any additional backspin.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

Tried to perfect this many times on the range looking for a shot I could count on to hit a fairway. Had to do consistently enough to use, at least with the kind of distance I would want to not be at a severe disadvantage.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am

It takes a lot of distance off the club. If you hear tiger talk he carries his stinger 240ish. I bet a normal 2i for him carries 270+
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:15 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:06 pm
It's basically a punch shot.
I don't think it is. That's why it is so elusive.

Tiger does not appear to put the ball that far back in the stance. I've seen clinic videos where he himself claims that all he really does is aim for a low follow through. How do you then put a lot of speed on it? And in tournament play he don't always do that. Sometimes hits stingers with a mostly normal looking swing. I don't think he tells the full story, because it is his secret and doesn't want other pros knowing. Notice that you don't see a whole lot of other pros hitting super low irons. Granted I am a Tiger tard, but I really do wonder how much separates this guy from the average tour pro, in terms of ballstriking talent. Sometimes wonder if he is a Michael Jackson level prodigy. Not a huge fan of the king of pop but I consider him probably the most innately gifted musical talent the world has ever seen.

About the stinger, I should probably just give up. Like Gbogey alludes to, it seems to require a lot of tweakage. Probably better just to work on hitting it straight, if we are talking about real efficiency. Then again, I'm not really after efficiency. Just want to look cool. :bawl
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:42 pm

I wanted it for coolness and effectiveness. I was successive in hitting it low but keeping it super low I kept hitting severe hooks. Part of the problem was that I was trying to do it with Hybrids and FWs for distance purposes - much easier with an iron but then if an iron distance would work for my game plan I wouldn't need a stinger. Jason is correct - you will lose distance unless the course is especially firm in which case the roll out should offset the lesser distance. Hence Tiger was so successful with it in the Open although now I think he uses it everywhere just to insure he hits the fairway.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:50 pm

A golfball wizard's