Where would you live?

DougE

Where would you live?

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am

Okay, so I was daydreaming about having an endless supply of money (I'm sure you all have had that same dream) and started thinking about where I might want to live if that were the case. Golf, is a major consideration in the equation, but so is quality of life in general. Vacations, are not an issue, nor is the time to take them, since money isn't tight, at all. Let's say you had 25 million in the bank...or so. So flying around the country/world for golf vacations is easily doable, as often as you want. But, given all that, I still want a "home base." A place or area where I play most of my golf and where my main social circle is centered. For those with kids, you'd need a place to bring them up and school them well. A place to ground them.

I hate cities, I hate extreme cold and I hate excessive humidity. Deep winters in the northeast depress me. But I love the northeast otherwise. I am drawn to the sea, the mountains and the desert. I like farm country too. With all this money, I could easily split my time in many places, but then I really don't have a home. I'm not a trumpublican, so I'm not sure how I could live comfortably alongside them in the south. It's too humid there in the summer anyway. Where should I live? I need to know, in case I hit Powerball. I want to be prepared.

Though I would spend weeks, maybe months in a winter warm spot, or spots, I think my main base might be along the Atlantic, north of NJ. Far enough away from the crowds, but near enough to a major airport for quick getaways to play golf all over. Cape Cod, Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard area? I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, I will have a winter place in Florida too.

Arizona/Las Vegas, the Pacific Northwest, the Carolinas, the Caribbean and the UK/Ireland would all be on my list of yearly golf destinations, Each lasting a couple weeks. And I'd spend 3-4 months in my winter home in Florida, where I have my Mom and sisters' families close by. Yet, where I "live" my everyday life is up in the air. I'll have to daydream some more to figure it out.

Where would you live if money were not an object and work was not necessary?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Where would you live?

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:09 am

Good question Dougmeister. It's an eternal question IMO. There is no easy answer. As of now I would probably go up somewhere to Vermont or Maine. I am really attracted to the low population densities of those places. The winters are harsh but at least they can be beautiful. Eventually I would get tired of the sleepiness, and since money is no object would probably then move to Denver, Colorado or something.

I don't like cities either but it's all I really know. I am drawn to the countryside as a tourist, but I don't know how I would fare in the long term. Maybe great, who knows. I could sort of see myself turning into a kind of mountain man as well, long as I had high speed internet.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:12 pm

The country is great until you need to get groceries.

Probably somewhere between Savannah and where I am now.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:22 pm

I would own condos. No maintenance responsibilities when I am not there. The size could be fairly small, say a 2-bedroom unit. I'd have one in San Marcos, TX. Half way between my brother (Austin/Round Rock) and a group of the grand kids (San Antonio). That would be "home" since there is no income tax in TX. We would have one in Ann Arbor and maybe another in Traverse City, which we would rent out except for the couple weeks we would hang out there in July, August, September.

My wife would want a place in Tuscany, Italy (again, likely a rental except for the month of April/May or October). If she gets her way, then I want a place in St. Andrews, Scotland.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Mine is simple, around Tampa, Florida and Sydney, Australia.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:17 pm

My dream spot to retire is Sea Island so I would say Sea Island and then someplace cooler for the high summer heat. If the Powerball ever came my way, it's probably less about where I would live than the trips I would take that would be golf related. Do you have to buy a Powerball ticket to win?