Tech help

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Tech help

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:36 am

Hey tech guys. I got some free gaming computer parts from my sister in law (well from her ex-husband, that left them at her house). I know I'm good at building things but I don't know what is integrated or what half this crap is.

I know there is the motherboard, sabertooth z77, what looks like 2 cooling systems. What I don't see is a graphics card or CPU. Do any of you know anything about this stuff? I'm struggling with info on Google.

Like is one of these things the graphics card, or is that and the CPU already integrated with the motherboard?
Attachments
IMG_20180903_103535.jpg
IMG_20180903_103535.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 271 times
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Tech help

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 am

Back in college I built a PC for myself. Have almost no recollection of doing it, or even how I managed to do it given a) the availability of information back in those days and 2) my crude understanding of computers. I lived near a "Fry's Electronics" though and that was a huge help.

I have no idea what I am looking at here. Whatever know-how I acquired back then is long gone. But the point is, if could do it, cobble together a computer that actually works, in 1997 or whatever, you can probably accomplish it with ease in 2018!
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:23 am

Yeah I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I'm not so concerned with the whole installing and getting it running. I just don't know and can't find an answer to what parts I'm missing. Not sure I want to spend $400-$500 on a CPU and graphics card if I'm hooking them up to a motherboard that's been sitting in a garage for 3 years.

I'm pretty confident that I'm missing the CPU and graphics card but don't know for sure.
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah I would just sell it on eBay. This is just the starter for a PC, you'd need a giant dumb chassis with neon lights, a CPU, video card, etc

Ain't worth the effort unless you are a gamer or have a nephew who is a teen gamer kid to mess with it
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:36 am
Hey tech guys. I got some free gaming computer parts from my sister in law (well from her ex-husband, that left them at her house). I know I'm good at building things but I don't know what is integrated or what half this crap is.

I know there is the motherboard, sabertooth z77, what looks like 2 cooling systems. What I don't see is a graphics card or CPU. Do any of you know anything about this stuff? I'm struggling with info on Google.

Like is one of these things the graphics card, or is that and the CPU already integrated with the motherboard?

You have (from left to right) a motherboard, a power supply unit and an aftermarket CPU cooler(heatsink). They are all pretty decent components from (coincidentally) 2011-2012, the era that I built my own PC.

In order to complete a PC, you will need....

1. CPU -every motherboard has a specific 'socket' type to seat different CPU's. Your motherboard has an LGA 1155 socket, which is a common socket type for Intel Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge model CPU's that were sold in 2011 (and the same motherboard type I have). In the box with the CPU will be a stock heatsink/cooler. The aftermarket Liquid cooler you have is used in place of the stock one, for better cooling, in the event you decide to overclock your CPU (basically, making it run faster (and hotter) for increased performance).

2. Graphics card (or just use integrated graphics on the CPU).

3. RAM modules

4. Computer case (will include cables)

5. DVD drive

6. Hard drive or SSD

7. Monitor

8. Keyboard & mouse

Hope this helps.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:35 am

Thanks everyone, so there are 2 things not pictured because I knew what they were. 1) the big ass case (Corsair 800D) and 2) Blu Ray player

My plan was to finish it off and turn it into my dedicated computer for my skytrak. I'd eventually like to get tgc simulator which requires more computing power than my current laptop has. Also having to hook up and unhook the laptop every time is a little bit of a pain in the ass.

I know I'll also need $100 for an operating system if I do this.

I have a guy who is willing to send me an old graphics card that works (he just upgraded). So I think I can finish it off, but it will still cost me $300 for the CPU, RAM and operating system.

Also the case is stupid big. So I may trash it and get a smaller one. I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend $300 to find out something is broken.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 pm

As stupid big as it is, a bigger case easier to work with, especially if you are installing a graphics card.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:52 am

I didn't realize that a CPU had graphics imbedded in it. I looked at the spec sheet for the core i5 and I can't tell if it's graphics will meet my needs. Here are the requirements for tgc golf simulator. Do you think I would need add a video card, or would the i5 be sufficient?

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i5 or equivalent.
Memory: 4 GB RAM.
Graphics: NVidia GTX 670 or AMD 7850 w/ 2GB (or better!)
DirectX: Version 11.
Network: Broadband Internet connection.
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space.
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 am

Here are the graphics specs for the i5. This is all a foreign language to me.

Processor Graphics
Processor Graphics ‡
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Graphics Base Frequency
400 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency
1.25 GHz
Graphics Video Max Memory
2 GB
Graphics Output
eDP/DP/HDMI
Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡
3840x2160@60Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡
3840x2160@60Hz
Max Resolution (VGA)‡
2880x1800@60Hz
DirectX* Support
11.2/12
OpenGL* Support
Intel® Quick Sync Video
Yes
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology
Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology
Yes
# of Displays Supported ‡
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm

No. You'll definitely need a graphics card. You should be able to find a decent used one on ebay for $100 or so.

Here is an ebay listing for a GTX 770 (which is the next year model after the min-spec 670 in your post) for $75.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce ... SwnXpbkIcv
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:45 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm
No. You'll definitely need a graphics card. You should be able to find a decent used one on ebay for $100 or so.

Here is an ebay listing for a GTX 770 (which is the next year model after the min-spec 670 in your post) for $75.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce ... SwnXpbkIcv
Unless that motherboard has built-in on-board graphics... it might, I don't know, but if the motherboard doesn't then yes you need a graphics card. Most gamer PC setups assume you are gonna drop 600 bucks on the graphics card.

p.s. "big ass case" LOL

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 am

I built hundreds of (business) PC's back in the day. Gamer PC's can get freaky with the overclocking and the liquid cooling. It's a lot of fun for a teenager but if you just want a machine for your skytrak I'd save the effort and buy something off the shelf, plain and boring that works.