2018 Fall Support Group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 Fall Support Group

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Trees and fallen branches all over the city. Never seen anything like this. The world is a-changin'.
Build a bridge and get over it.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 pm

I haven't played golf in the last few days, because of the terrible air quality we have in the Bay Area, as the Camp Fire near Chico, CA continues to burn. It's such a devastation! I've heard that we have the worst air quality on the whole planet right now, worse than India and China!
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am

Played the last 3 days in a row. Monday was actually nice. Yesterday, however, was friggin' cold. 45 degrees wasn't all that bad, but the 15-20 mph winds made it nearly unbearable. I wasn't dressed for it. Couldn't feel my fingers by mid way. I kept thinking: just play one more hole. And then I would play it, hit the ball well and make par, inspiring me to play one more hole. Hit the ball well on almost every swing after the first couple holes, so had the inspiration to finish 18, one hole at a time. I really never expected to finish even nine after the first few holes, but once I started swinging well, it was hard to quit, frozen fingers or not.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am

Playing today, freeze my butt off probably. Gonna experiment with two gloves.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:52 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am
I still like my pair of rain gloves in the cold. The material in the gloves tends to work with the extra slickness of the grips brought on by the cold.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:53 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am
Are you "experimenting" with any other ways to stay warm?
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:21 pm

I was reminded today of my first impressions of TN golf last Winter / Spring. Even though it was 60's today the course was very soft and the wind was +15 MPH. Even this short 6000 yard par 70 course has lots of teeth when your drives are +30 yards shorted than usual. Hit a bomb on #18 which is my nemesis hole. Expected to be at the 150 yard marker or closer, instead was 30 yards from reaching it.

Also it occurred to me that the wind at this course is normally East to West or West to East. Of the 10 holes where driver are clearly my best option (there's an 11th hole where I often hit it but not sure if that's best), 9 are straight East or West, meaning that when the wind really blows you are going to have 4-5 holes that are much easier than normal and 4-5 holes that are much more difficult. No wonder I wasn't sure what I thought of the course when I first played it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:55 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:21 pm
... 9 are straight East or West, meaning that when the wind really blows you are going to have 4-5 holes that are much easier than normal and 4-5 holes that are much more difficult.
Same here when the turf is wet/soggy and the wind is blowing. The 5 par fours into the wind are often unreachable for me and my pop gun driver while the down wind holes offer me a chance. It is typical for me to go +4 on the 5 holes into the wind and +1 on the five down wind holes.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:45 pm

The holidays do a decent job of distracting us all from the fact that we are slipping inexorably into darkness. About three days ago I started to feel it in my bones. My fear is that SADD (fuck whoever named this condition, it's not funny, not something to joke about) gets worse with age. It's ok, there is hope. I think you just gotta be more proactive about getting sunlight. Strip off your clothes and stare into the sun whenever possible.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes, it gets worse with age. At least in my experience.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:09 pm
Yes, it gets worse with age. At least in my experience.
TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY agree!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am

Well, have you guys ever tried stripping down and staring into the sun? That's what I thought! Lots of conditions get worse with age, that don't mean you have to sit there like a blob and suffer. You just have to work harder to feel somewhat normal. So what.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am

I was a sailor. I sailed across oceans. You wanna talk about stripping down and staring into the sun?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:39 pm

And I would bet that, during those sailing days, you never once thought to complain about something as stupid as "SADD".

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 pm

It's still November, but earlier this week I dragged in a little fir tree from off the street and draped it with enough LED lights to light up the whole living room, my feeble attempt at beating back some of the pre-solstice darkness.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:01 pm

On really sunny days, my wife and I will sit on the front porch in our Adirondack chairs. We have a southern exposure and the sun reflects off the house. The chair's flat arm rests are great for setting a beverage. Some days in January we are out there in parkas and hats but the ambient temperature is easily +10 to 20 degrees and we are sheltered from the breeze. In the neighborhood we are the crazy people who sit on the porch in cold weather and build golf-themed snowmen. ;)
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 am

This is getting bad. It's only November. I haven't played since Sunday. Five full days. Weather is not cooperating. I drove by the course on Wednesday. It was 33 degrees and the wind was gusting over 30 mph. With wind chill, probably felt like low teens. It was terrible, but, son of a bitch, there was a foursome teeing off on the 11th hole. I couldn't believe it. Only crazy people would play in those conditions. I thought maybe Beef and three of his buddies made the trip here, but then I realized, Beef wouldn't have three buddies. At least, not three he could travel five hours in a car with and have them still be his buddies. Either way, I felt like I wasn't living up to my reputation of playing whenever the course is open. (Frankly, I was surprised that it was open.) I am getting soft in my old age. I never even considered playing that day. At least most mornings when unfriendly weather is forecast, I still consider playing a few holes. Not Wednesday.

Now, in my defense, I was sick last Sunday with a bad head cold and probably a temperature, but forced myself to play anyway. The temp was over 50. Had to. I paid for it though. I was really sick on Monday. Spent half the day in bed with a temperature and Nyquil. Tuesday I was at about 40%, but didn't think it would be smart to play. Actually felt worse on Wednesday, but it didn't matter. The conditions seemed unplayable, for anyone. Guess there were a few who defied my reasoning. At least four.

So now that I've realized that I am weak in my old age, I have begun thinking about getting a cart cover to help me handle the winter weather better. One that can be put on in less than a minute or two. And, one that is designed for easy and quick in and out access of the golfers. I researched them half the day. I have learned a lot about cart covers in 24 hours. I am putting one on my Christmas list. There are only a few that meet my criteria.

You can find cart covers from $50-$700+. Realistically, they don't really get to a good quality until over $100. I've narrowed my search down to two companies and four or five different models, the most expensive of those being just over $200. If I owned the cart myself, I would get a much more expensive one, custom made for the specific model cart. But, I need something universal. Worthington is getting new carts soon. And the other places close by that I might play in cold windy conditions all have different model carts. So I need something that will fit, EZ-GO, Club Car and Yamaha. I remember only seeing khaki colored ones years ago, but now you can get them in black, white, hunter green, dark blue, red, etc. Cool, I can purchase multiple ones to match each outfit I wear! (Kidding, but I know a few of you were thinking I was serious.)

If I do decide to go for a cover, the next thing on the list will be a portable propane cart heater.

I give the Asians a lot of shit for slow play all year long, but I have to admit, I have seen more than a few groups of them putting cart covers on their carts out in the parking lot when it's too cold for me to enjoy myself out there. At first I thought it seemed like one more thing to make them go even slower. They may be slow, but they ain't stupid. So, after doing some research, I now don't think it's such a bad idea. And they are great for rainy days too. Not just cold and wind.

So, I know I am probably barking up the wrong tree here, since you guys are all so manly and everything, but have any of you ever tried a cart cover and if so, what is your experience?

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 am

I rode once in a cart with someone that had a cart cover and a propane heater. It was about 38-40* with a 20 mph wind. Now, I am the crazy person that has to where shorts anytime I am on the golf course, because long pants and the swing with me don't mix. Getting in and out, even with the zipping was not a problem, really. But to me, the propane heater got the cart too warm for my liking, but I think it was more how warm this guy had the heater set. I did do a little more walking because I was almost passing out from how warm he had the cart. I am sure it is not bad if you find a temp you like.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 am

I played an early season round a couple years ago and my cart mate brought a cover. It was very windy and quite cold. It would have been miserable in a cart without the cover. If one is not walking, a cover is mandatory when the temperatures and wind drop the "real feel" under 35 degrees. If the round is going to take 4 hours, a heater while sitting around sounds nice.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 am

As for now I prefer the Bret Favre approach to cold weather. Dress appropriately and get use to it. Going from warm to cold then back to warm causes constant shock and your body won't be able to adapt. I even went to the extent of cracking my car window on the way to the course to acclimate.

When i played the winter tournament series last year there was a day where we teed off and it was below freezing by 1 or 2 degrees. Everyone except me and my partner had a cart cover. I wasn't bothered with it, I had a pair of UA long compression underwear pant things under my golf pants, a UA long sleeve compression shirt under my golf shirt which was under my jacket, a ski mask type thing, a beanie, and hand warmers in my jacket pockets. Oh and 2 pair of socks on. It seems like with all of that crap you wouldn't be able to swing, but with the new fabrics I don't notice much difference than just long pants and a jacket on. I was fine that day except a couple times that my eyes got too cold and I had to just close them while we were driving between shots. Later on it warmed up to a brisk 40 degrees and I was able to take off my jacket, and ski mask. Well I would throw my jacket on between shots so I could use the hand warmers, but it was on backwards more like a "snuggie" blanket thing.

If I can't stand outside for 4-5 hours with that wardrobe on then it's too cold to play. To me that temperature is around 28 degrees (assuming low wind and sun). If it's really windy it's pretty miserable and that is where I could see the cart cover. But to me that means the cover is more of a wind breaker than something to keep me warm.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

I've never used one but anytime I see one, two words come to mind: hot box. A covered golf cart is perfect for that, you know it and I know it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Have used a cover twice and was surprised how much it helped. Once there was an electric blanket to sit on. Generally I believe that if it is cold enough to require a covered cart one should either be walking (which I find much warmer) or not playing at all. The time with an electric blanket was in China so it couldn't be passed up. I have a pair of really good thermal long johns that were bought for skiing that I have worn golfing - keeps me plenty warm but I feel it restricts my swing too much so I rarely wear them.

Not to put fuel on the fire but it will be +65 degrees here over the weekend - that's the positive. On the negative, the soggy ground is getting up to an inch of rain today and winds tomorrow are supposed to be 15-20 mph. May decide to move up a tee box to counter the elements. Of course, the last time I did that I had my first eagle on a par 5 and then felt like I couldn't count it since I moved up a tee. Fortunately I've had one since.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 am

I think the dog is starting to feel SADD. Can't put my finger on it, he just seems weird lately.