Cold Weather and Hands

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Cold Weather and Hands

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:01 pm

A friend with whom I have been playing recently has been wearing 2 gloves because of the temperature. I always wear one glove and stick the bare hand in my pocket if it is cold enough. Once I have walked a few holes, I rarely have any concern about hand warmth.

A post DougE made on a round he played recently got me thinking about the cold and dry skin. He said his hand's skin was cracked and painful. I have issues with dry cracking skin on my right (ungloved) hand, too. Hmmm ... maybe I need to start wearing 2 gloves.

Anyone have any other solutions?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF
dogs: 1

Re: Cold Weather and Hands

Post by MattF » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Moisturizer a few times a day.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:35 pm

I have a pair of Footjoy winter golf gloves. I wear a regular golf glove on my left hand and the winter golf on my right - winter glove is much warmer. The good thing about the winter glove is that it fits tight and is much better than a normal glove of feeling like you are gloveless if that makes any sense. The frustrating thing about the winter glove is that it fits so tight it is really hard to take on and off, like for putting or can be difficult to get a tee out of your pocket.

Since I rarely play below 45 like some of you guys, I typically start with the winter glove and then go gloveless on the right after a few holes. I do something similar with my Nike knit hat - wear for few holes and then switch to a regular hat when the sun gets in my eyes.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 pm

1 glove, plus hand warmers in my jacket pockets.
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Activated charcoal pouches that stay warm for 6-8 hours. Hold them on and off in between shots. Actually, I don't wear a glove at all, so when it's cold, I alternate the pocket where I hold the pouch, warming both hands... The only time I wear 2 gloves is in the rain: then, they are rain gloves! :)
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 pm

My hands are already split in many places. Mostly on fingers. I wore two gloves today. It was 45 degrees. Moisturizer doesn't work. I have to soak them in some moisturizing crap my wife has for hours every few nights, and/or squirt moisturizer into the fingers of nitrile gloves, which I then wear to bed most nights in the winter. Real fun. I can't keep up with the splits. I get 4 or 5 healed and 6 or 7 more break apart. Pain in the ass. I don't like wearing two gloves (I'd rather not have to wear any golf glove), but when it's cold I have to in order to stop the skin from cracking further. And even that doesn't always stop the splits. Last week, I took two or three swings on the range and my fingers just tore apart on two spots. Put a golf glove on my right hand and bled through it after a few holes. It is not only painful, but really annoying. I don't wear gloves for warmth, I wear them for protection, of which they are about 75% successful. BTW, hand warmers don't help dry skin.

I should own stock in CVS, I go through so many bandaids and various medical tapes each week.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Jesus Doug I am sorry to hear that. If I get even one split my whole world is wrecked. Have you ever worked with aloe vera, specifically in gel form? I use it for a number of things one of them is dry hands. Not so sure about the moisturizing properties per se, but I believe it--better than any other glop one might put on the hands--coats the skin with a protective layer. Also I believe aloe to have some nutritive and/or healing, therapeutic powers. Before heading out to any kind of winter golf I put on a thick layer and allow to dry.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm

What a great thread by the way. A real concern for us winter sports enthusiasts. If it's really cold I'll put on a winter glove in between shots, but that is a lot of work over 18 holes. Usually I will just sit on my right hand and drive the cart with the gloved left hand. This year I will experiment with two regular leather golf gloves. Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey won on the PGA Tour--wearing two gloves! So how bad could it be, is my question to you.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:55 pm

I walk 99% of the time in the winter. What would be best is if I got a "motorized" push cart so that both hands could stay in my pockets. Either that or if I just sacked up and carried my bag.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm
Jesus Doug I am sorry to hear that. If I get even one split my whole world is wrecked. Have you ever worked with aloe vera, specifically in gel form? I use it for a number of things one of them is dry hands. Not so sure about the moisturizing properties per se, but I believe it--better than any other glop one might put on the hands--coats the skin with a protective layer. Also I believe aloe to have some nutritive and/or healing, therapeutic powers. Before heading out to any kind of winter golf I put on a thick layer and allow to dry.
As I sit here and reply to this, I am putting another nitrile glove filled with a prescription moisturizing cream onto my right hand so I can go continue painting the kitchen without more skin splitting at the joints in the process. The whole outside of my index finger feels like sandpaper it's so dry. The same finger which, along with my right thumb, helps me control the faces of my golf clubs.

Yes, aloe vera is good. Smells nice. Doesn't work on my hands though. I have used the gel before. I also use aloe on my arms and legs in various moiturizers that include it as their main marketing message. So, I am not a complete alligator. And yes, I hydrate. Maybe not enough, but I do. In winter, I should drink more water for sure, but my skin issues can't be as bad as they are just because I don't drink enough water.

Aloe Vera gel doesn't work on my heels either, which crack so badly I can hardly walk some days. Feels like razor blades sticking in my heels. I hate winter. During the summer months I do not have this issue. Rarely wear a golf glove. Don't need to.

I hate wearing gloves, for golf or otherwise. But I have no choice this time of year.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am

Only other suggestion I have is move south...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 am

Doug already did move south.

Maybe it is time for some diet/nutrition considerations. How is your fat intake, Doug? As you all might have gathered, the beefster is big into dietary fat. This is complete conjecture but I feel that a low-fat diet might further dry a person out. Perhaps also some omega-3 could help? Fish, avocados, eggs, stuff like that.

Finally Doug, are you also exfoliating? I have some sort of black lava rock thing in the shower, and in the winter I use it to sand off the dead dry skin from my heels. I hate doing it but it does help.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:56 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:55 pm
I walk 99% of the time in the winter. What would be best is if I got a "motorized" push cart so that both hands could stay in my pockets. Either that or if I just sacked up and carried my bag.
I have debated this dilemma and while you do generate more heat while walking/carrying, it also takes longer to finish. I'd rather freeze for two hours than to be slightly less freezing but be out there for an additional hour.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 am
Doug already did move south.

Finally Doug, are you also exfoliating? I have some sort of black lava rock thing in the shower, and in the winter I use it to sand off the dead dry skin from my heels. I hate doing it but it does help.
Further south.

I also exfoliate but use a Microplane foot file and it helps immensely.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm

MattF wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm
FYI they are also useful in the kitchen for grating really hard, dry cheeses like Parmesan. Or tough, gnarly botanicals such as ginger root. Also good for scraping the zest off of citrus fruits. :school

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm
MattF wrote:
FYI they are also useful in the kitchen for grating really hard, dry cheeses like Parmesan. Or tough, gnarly botanicals such as ginger root. Also good for scraping the zest off of citrus fruits. :school
I have two different ones for the kitchen, but this one is made specifically for the feet.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am

MattF wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am
legitimatebeef wrote:
MattF wrote:
I have two different ones for the kitchen, but this one is made specifically for the feet.
Well la dee da, look at this fancy guy.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:24 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am
MattF wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am
legitimatebeef wrote:

Well la dee da, look at this fancy guy.
:rofl It works better than a pumice stone or the foot file we got at the store.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Wore two cabretta gloves yesterday, it was very liberating. Reflexively I kept reaching for the right hand glove prior to every shot. Over 18 holes that is a lot of work saved. And today my right hand is not dry or cracked. I felt empowered out there, not having to stuff my hand in pocket all the time, and being able to play golf like normal, even check my phone, all without un-gloving. This is definitely the way to go.