On the golf DL

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

On the golf DL

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:53 pm

DougE's current situation got me thinking about my times on the golf Disabled List. My last time on the DL was August, 2016. A back issue put me on the sidelines for 20 days. I was worried about missing the balance of the season but solid rest saved the year. I have actually been a bit lucky in that the prior two periods on the DL were off season. I broke an ankle in March and had sciatica in January to February in the past. Since I wasn't likely to have been playing, it was easier to sit out and recover.

I actually don't mind having some voluntary time off in the Winter. Gives my body a chance to rest the golf muscles and tendons.

This year I will be healthy for the entire 12 months, barring an issue in the next 3 weeks.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: On the golf DL

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:24 pm

I am hoping to come off the DL in a couple days (as a result of right elbow tendonitis), but I'm not fully confident yet that I can play without too much pain or making it worse. It is still quite sore, but usable in general. I iced every day and used heat on it too. Over the last two days, I have chipped in the basement and hit a few balls with full swing 9 irons in the backyard off my mat, without too much discomfort. I have also taken full swings with my new TS driver, but with no ball, just to compare the weighting to my 917D2 driver. FWIW, my mat is a very good one. It's designed to handle and simulate taking a divot without sending any reverberation back up my arms, as opposed to some cheap hard mats you might find at a public range.

Before I attempt to go out on the course I am going to test things out easily on the range and particularly around the short game area. Actually, this injury seems to hurt more with less-than-full swings than it does with those where I just swing through the ball to a full finish, with my left arm pulling my injured right arm through. (Though it was already somewhat sore, I think the more damaging tears in the tendon happened when I hit a flopitch from alongside the green where I cut the swing off hard at the 3 o'clock position.)

In any case, I should know in a few days whether this thing is going to get worse or better. Hopefully, I won't be back on the DL a day after I try to come back too early. Maybe some warm weather in Florida will help too. If that doesn't help, I'll get a shot of steroids in it when I get back, though I'd rather not. As Brian implied on another thread, a two foot snowstorm and a month of below freezing temps might be just what it needs.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Glad to see you are getting better.

I know you said your mat is fine because it's a good one, but there are 2 things that cause issues from a mat. One is ground force due to bad padding, this is typical for cheap mats. The other is thick artificial grass that grabs the club head when you "take a divot", which is common issue for the expensive mats. This causes issues because of a much more rapid deceleration than the turf giving way on the golf course. There are some mats that do a good job walking this fine line though. I don't know what mat you have, this post is more for anyone else thinking of getting a mat. Money doesn't guarantee an injury free mat.

I only say this because I want you back out on the course ASAP.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 pm

My mat is like going through butter. No grab at all. And I normally take a sizeable divot in the fairway with my wedges-mid irons. It was an expensive mat when I bought it (actually my wife bought it for me). It was over $400 and the marketing claimed specifically that it was designed for being able to properly hit down on the ball and to take a "divot" without stress on elbows or shoulders. I got it when both my left and right shoulders were so bad that I needed surgery. I only had the surgery on the left one. The right one had therapy and has hung in there for 7 or 8 years now and I hit off this mat a lot. Here is a picture (which I have probably posted before). It's of the side view so you can see the grass length relative to the rubber. Overall thickness is about 2 1/2 inches. The rubber is also softer than you might think, which I guess lessens any shock when the club hits it. Seriously, I have never felt any pain hitting off this mat. I feel more stress on my joints hitting off real turf.

And for what it's worth, this mat is about 9 years old. I have probably hit hundreds of thousands of iron and wedge shots off it. It sits outside now, under a tree. I clean it once or twice a year with a pressure washer. After I clean it, this mat looks literally brand new. There is not even one spot of wear from golf shots on it. Not one. The surface is perfect. I don't know what it is made of, but it is truly amazing how this thing has held up. I am not kidding. It honestly looks brand new.
Attachments
Side view of Golf Mat.jpg
Side view of Golf Mat.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 437 times

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:12 am

I'm glad yours is good. The one below is the CCE mat. It's basically top of the line and a 5' x 5' goes for north of $500 (well I think it's $399 at costco).

From my research about half of the people get elbow/wrist injuries and half are fine. Probably related to shallow v vertical swing planes. It's very punishing on fat shots and supposedly intended to be like real turf interaction, but it causes too much deceleration on impact which causes the injuries.

I bought a cheapish mat for $125, that I found wouldn't cause rapid deceleration of the club head. It's problem is it had no padding below the mat. Then after the 1st time using it I got elbow soreness in about 15 shots. So I modified it by adding a 3/4" gel motorcycle seat cushion that I dropped into a 3/4" piece of plywood that I cut a whole in to match the cushion. Now I can hit 1000 balls a day with out my elbow or wrist being sore. Total cost was under $200.
Attachments
CCE mat.jpg
CCE mat.jpg (15.19 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 am

J, looking at the picture of the CCE mat I can see why that might cause issues. The way the "grass" is implanted in groupings with tight concentrations at the base where it goes into the rubber, in my mind, would create more restriction to a club passing through it smoothly. On mine, the load is spread evenly. On the CCE mat, there is much more 'point loading,' if you will. No scientific theory, just my common sense observation.

Though my golf club has a real grass range, it also has a row of mats for use when the turf needs healing or everything is sopping wet. They just replaced the mats on the range with new ones which seem like a similar version to my own mat. Based on your picture, I'll have to take a closer look at the edge to see how the grass is attached. Not that I spend much time hitting off the mats there, anyway.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Coming off the DL tomorrow.

Went to the range. Was a bit tentative to start, but felt no discomfort during the swing, so got more brave as I got into it. Hit nearly a full pyramid of balls. About 90 balls. My right shoulder is more sore than my elbow right now. I used an air brace on my elbow, which really seemed to help with supporting the muscles.

I'm gonna try to play tomorrow, though it will be more of a see-what-happens practice round. Want to compare the new driver with the old one out on the course to make sure the simulator was somewhat realistic during the fitting. On the range today, the first one I hit with the new TS2 driver felt great, considering the 43 degree temp outside. Seemed to go a mile. I was happy. Then I hit my old 917D2. Hit that one a long way too. It was low light so couldn't really see either land, but the best TS I hit felt like it took off like a rocket. I'll probably hit both drivers off the tee tomorrow since my elbow seems to be able to handle it. Whoopie!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:31 pm
Coming off the DL tomorrow.
:yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Might have pushed things a bit. 90 balls yesterday on the range didn't seem to bother me. Today, was a different story. Played 18, used new TS driver, hit the ball okay, but I'd be lying if I said I feel fine. I'm sure I probably overdid it yesterday hitting way too many balls without being even close to fully healed. Today, I iced both elbow and shoulder as soon as I got home. Will ice elbow again later. Was going to play tomorrow, but now, will wait to see how things feel in the morning. It's supposed to get up near 50 tomorrow. I would hate to miss out, but if it's too sore, I will stay home.