Skygolf360 - RIP???

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Skygolf360 - RIP???

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:34 pm

I know most of you have little use for Skygolf. A few of us still reflexively post scores. But the site is moribund. They did away with the 19th Hole, which was just as well since there was -0- new content. The "poll" was, "How many tournaments will El Tigré win in 2017?" ... um ... it is almost 2019.

The "Forums", never popular, are totally taken over by spammers. No one even tries to monitor the site. Course ratings and such are out of date. Few bother to "review" courses.

Why do I care? Well, maybe it is nostalgia for the old oob days. That was fun for a few years. I think golf chat/forums are a thing of the past. I am too old the convert to Instaface or snaptter. Sigh. Time to fade away.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Skygolf360 - RIP???

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Gonna have to start looking for a new place to save my specs. Haven't really been tracking specifics much this year. Just couldn't swallow giving SG the 19 bucks, so have only been able to track Greens and Fairways with the free version. I just hate to lose a thousand rounds of old scores and specs (going back to OOB) if I leave SG. Is there any way to download or upload all that info to another site? Probably not. May have to just start over from scratch as a "Senior" player somewhere new, though I have been one for a few years now. Sad. (Sad that SG is now pretty much worthless these days, and sad to be a senior golfer.)

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:36 pm

I never liked SG360. Always thought it was clunky. It's really a shame what happened to oobgolf. I loved that site.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:12 am

Not going to say it... :nope
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm

MattF wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:12 am
Fine I'll say it, I don't care: WHAT A BUNCH OF JACKASS MORONS
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:34 pm
Time to fade away.
Whatta you mean. I just posted a score two days ago. Still works as it always did. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. It's such a cheapy looking site and interface but on the other hand it provided a vital function for lots of us, and for free. On the other hand that function is little more than a spreadsheet file, albeit with a pretty vast database of golf courses. On the other hand, oob is what brought us all together so in the end, we are nothing without oob/skygolf corp.

If this indeed is the end of the line for them, then HA HA is what I say. Another so-called golf-centric so-called community we have outlasted.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:46 pm

I just read Doug's awesome plug for our site on SG forum. According to him the admin of this board "has a bad/cynical attitude about everything (but in a fun sorta way)"

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 pm

If this site had more and/or better members (no offense obviously), then I would actually hire some nerd to build us a stat-keeping site. :nope Don't give me none of that "build it and they will come" BS. Not falling for that again. Anyways, I thought about calling our site "golfhard.com" :lolz but while it is not registered, it is considered a premium domain and sells for over two grand fuckin shit.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:14 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm
MattF wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:12 am
Fine I'll say it, I don't care: WHAT A BUNCH OF JACKASS MORONS
:yess

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:10 pm

If anyone has a round / stat keeping site to suggest please do. I'm not spending the $20 this year.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

I've been using thegrint.com. MattF and jatrruia are on there as well.

It's a nice looking site. I think their mobile app has among the most highly intuitive and user friendly scoring interfaces. You can friend people, get live alerts on their rounds, etc. Their stats are fairly deep and you can compare directly to anyone on your friends' list, select 'rivals' or 'golf buddies' to compare separately. They also give you an official USGA compliant handicap. There's also an optional $20/yr 'PRO' version that gives you deeper stats and shot tracking (in-app).

No forums to speak of, but that's why we have this site.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:49 am

Have to agree about the Grint. GPickin is on there as well.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:50 pm

So I started recording scores on Grint today. Going cold turkey from Skygolf 360

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:50 pm

I joined the Grint a couple years back, but never used it. I just signed on again yesterday to consider using it going forward. I have two issues with it, so far, which if I can figure out a fix, I will consider signing up for the Pro version, which is the same cost as the SG360 premium version.

The first issue is probably solve-able by canceling my old membership and starting a new one. At present, it shows my official index at 10, of which it probably was back when I signed up. Unfortunately I can't find a way to update it in my profile to the present level of 5.9 so that it tracks my handicap from where it is today.

2nd, one of the things I really like about the SG360 tracking abilities is the option to add notes pertaining to each round. I take full advantage of that option, and refer back to those notes often. In addition to helping me pinpoint a round where something specific happened or find a particular swing thought that was working well, I also enjoy reading back through old rounds, just to see where my golf mind was at that time. So, if there is a way to continue keeping a diary/notes of my rounds as I had been doing on SG, I am ready to move to the Grint.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Doug, I don't know for sure as I don't use the Grint, what I would imagine that posting your last 20 rounds on that site would make your handicap current. You probably don't need full details either, but you may want to post the rounds with those details in order to get accurate stats going forward?
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:50 pm
The first issue is probably solve-able by canceling my old membership and starting a new one. At present, it shows my official index at 10, of which it probably was back when I signed up. Unfortunately I can't find a way to update it in my profile to the present level of 5.9 so that it tracks my handicap from where it is today.
As often as you play, it will be taken care of in two weeks. :up
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:50 pm
So, if there is a way to continue keeping a diary/notes of my rounds as I had been doing on SG, I am ready to move to the Grint.
Once the round is posted, you can add comments via the dialogue bubble icon below it. Each comment is limited to 500 characters but you can add multiple comments.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 am

Once the round is posted, you can add comments via the dialogue bubble icon below it. Each comment is limited to 500 characters but you can add multiple comments.
With the long-winded and detailed essays I like to write, I'm not so sure how appealing that option is to me.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 am

With the long-winded and detailed essays I like to write, I'm not so sure how appealing that option is to me.
I too am troubled by this particular shortcoming. Yeah ok you can work around it by posting multiple comments, but the notion that these people do not understand the need to add notes to a round makes me wonder if they are to be trusted at all. What the heck is a grint anyways.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:03 am

Well, good luck finding anything like Skygolf 360. It's a dinosaur in form and function. Most of the new scoring/stat platforms are strictly app/smartphone based, with a PC review function. Only a couple even allow you to enter a new score via web browser. As far as writing post-round essays, I think Skygolf360 is the only one that allows it, with only a few even allowing comments.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 am

I played only nine yesterday. I just entered the score/specs (front 9) on the Grint. I then wanted to enter a second 9-hole score from January 2nd (from when I only played the back 9), which I didn't bother entering back then because I wasn't sure about using the Grint yet. So, since I now had a front 9 score from yesterday to pair up with it, I went back and tried to edit yesterday's front nine round to include the Jan. 2nd back nine and make it an 18 hole score. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to do so. When I tried to edit it from a nine hole score to an 18 hole score, it wouldn't let me. So I just input a whole new 9-hole round for the the back nine from Jan 2. However, when looking through my list of scores, the two 9-holers are not included. Oh well, I guess I'll be sticking with SG360 for another year, unless I can figure out fixes to meet my individual needs.

Overall, the Grint seems decent, but a bit rigid/limited in its format, which isn't ideal for my style of tracking and editing. Who'da thunk SG would be better? But, then I realized, the SG360 capabilities are built on the Oobgolf foundation, which everyone loved at one time. I miss oob.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

I totally stoped using SG360 for any stats a while ago, really was just using it to record rounds. Also pretty easy to use Ap to keep score while doing a casual round. All my real stats are going to Shot By Shot.

Haven't been doing much comments so Grint works for me. Need to start recording positive thoughts like I used to after yesterday's round (see other thread).

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Hey, I'm back again :P

Anyone wants to add me - gpickin on grint... I'm starting to play a little more.

If you get a pro membership, they will back add all your rounds, so if you take screenshots from SG they can add them all for you.
I think I had them do all of 2017 for me, so I had 1 years worth of scores/stats in there.

I should go back and do them all.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Holy shit, Gpickin's back!

Good to see you in here. Don't make yourself scarce.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm

I probably will be in here a bit.
I decided to make a Golfing Community website and facebook page, to help grow the golfing community in my area, so I'm going to be eating sleeping and breathing golf for a while. I'm working with the Grint to get some api access to get stats / reviews etc on the site, and maybe tie into their photo uploading system too.

I'll probably golf some too. I joined 2 mens club this year, to give me more opportunities to play.

Here is the links, for anyone who cares... I'm still a little embarassed of the site, but content was more important than layout etc.

Golf Kern - http://www.golfkern.com/
Golf Kern on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/golfkern/