2019 PGA Tour thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2019 PGA Tour thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Morally I think we--as a golf-centric discussion board that is--are obligated to at least start this thread. :facepalm

New for 2019:

-PGA championship in May, at Bethpage Black. Will I attend? I hope not but we'll see.
-flag-in putting
-different fonts on the tv broadcast
Build a bridge and get over it.

sjduffers

Re: 2019 PGA Tour thread

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Ok. I'll bite.

Flag-in putting is making putting easier. Under almost any circumstance, the flag should be left in. Those circumstances are: the flag is leaning towards the golfer and effectively blocking the ball from falling in, or the flagstick is battered by the wind, so that the angle of the mast changes at (unpredictable) times. For anything else, there is an advantage in leaving the flag in. Yes, some balls won't go in, but in earnest, they wouldn't have gone in if the flag was out either (google "putting capture speed") and a ball rolling on the green which is deflected by the flagstick will almost always be closer to the hole than if it hadn't been deflected. The problem is having the energy to argue these points to all the members of a foursome, some of whom you may not even know. I tried yesterday, but they didn't get it until the last couple of holes... To wit, the comments by some PGA pros, e.g. Justin Thomas. You're a fool to not use any advantage you have says Bryson de Chambeau. I don't particularly like the guy, but on this, he is right.

PGA Tour. Well, I always enjoy the broadcasts from Hawaii, so these first 2 weeks really nice, especially with all the rain we are having here now.

Fonts. They suck! Period. I hate that minimalist look. The older look what much better. End of discussion! :)
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 am

I'm with you on the flag in thing. Only other time I'd want it pulled is if the shaddow was distracting me.

I'm also shocked that Bryson was the only one leaving it in at the tournament of champions.

It's the simplest of physics, if something moving hits something else it slows down. An object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.

Everyone arguing "did you test it with a ball rolling 6" past, what about 7" past, what about hitting the stick at 1 o'clock or 1:30" is just dumb I'm sorry.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 am
I'm also shocked that Bryson was the only one leaving it in at the tournament of champions.
I am not surprised. Most pro golfers seem extremely rigid people. Have you seen anyone drop from knee height yet? The pros look completely inept when they do. Because it's a tricky task? No. Because it's new and different and out of their comfort zone. I am actually surprised that even one guy out there is putting with the flag in. From what I have gathered from other golf websites, the majority of obnoxious posers is vehemently against flag-in putting; I am guessing this mirrors the general pro's consensus.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am

I have left the flag in for the past several rounds. When I start to get close to the hole (say 20 feet and in) the presence of the flag stick is a bit of a distraction. I believe the flag stick helps as "sjd" outlined and assume having a flag stick in the hole will no longer be a distraction once I get used to it.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am
I have left the flag in for the past several rounds. When I start to get close to the hole (say 20 feet and in) the presence of the flag stick is a bit of a distraction. I believe the flag stick helps as "sjd" outlined and assume having a flag stick in the hole will no longer be a distraction once I get used to it.
I get distracted by things moving. I have ADHD, or i use to have it haven't been tested recentl...oh look a butterfly, wait what was I saying?

So I will pull it when ever the shadow of a flapping flag is in my vision, which might only be around noon given I look at the hole while putting.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am

Best thing I heard during the tournament was Bryson saying "how did that bounce left when it slopes right 5 degrees." I've said that many times, without the 5 degrees part.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 am
I am not surprised. Most pro golfers seem extremely rigid people. Have you seen anyone drop from knee height yet? The pros look completely inept when they do. Because it's a tricky task? No. Because it's new and different and out of their comfort zone. I am actually surprised that even one guy out there is putting with the flag in. From what I have gathered from other golf websites, the majority of obnoxious posers is vehemently against flag-in putting; I am guessing this mirrors the general pro's consensus.
I've never really been sold on Bryson. He seems gimmicky for sake of marketing. I'm 95% sure he plays up the "mad scientist" crap to help is "brand" because now the PGA tour is full of brand ambassadors that happen to be pretty good at golf (looking at you Rickie).

So I'm not really a fan of that, but I think I'm going to start rooting for the guy since he's the only one who will putt with the flag in. Well at least until this weekend, maybe some of the guys not in the limited field are also smart enough to use the rules to their advantage.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Ok watching the Sony open I'm starting to think the pga tour has asked players to not leave the flag in. I'm shocked how no one is leaving it in. With how many of these guys work with Dave peltz who has already said he recommends leaving it in, in all situations.

Obviously this request doesn't extend to the "mad scientist" for marketing purposes.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Also go chez go. 31 on the front side.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Adam Scott was leaving it in, even on six footers.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Ok I just saw Adam Svensson (who?) Drain a long one with the flag in. I might just be his biggest fan now.

Followed by si wo Kim draining one with the flag in. Shake that ass.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm
Ok I just saw Adam Svensson (who?) Drain a long one with the flag in. I might just be his biggest fan now.

Followed by si wo Kim draining one with the flag in. Shake that ass.
Just found out Svensson only made that one putt with the flag stick in. So I can go back to not knowing who he is.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Matt Kuchar leads, trailed by perennial non-cool guys Chez and Ted Potter. Man when the PGATOUR product sucks, it really sucks. Kuchar is the king of non-cool people. That Skechers commercial where he goes "Gee, I feel like I could dancing in these shoes!" makes me physically ill. He doesn't actually dance in the commercial mind you, thank the lord. But even the mere verbal suggestion of Matt Kuchar white-guy-dancing makes me want to detonate a friggin nuclear bomb.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm

You try it. Picture it. Matt Kuchar on a dance floor, trying his best. You see what I mean? All life is futile. What is the fucking point of any of this.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

The Kuch notches his 2nd win of the season ... yawn.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

gpickin

Last few holes at the Desert

Post by gpickin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Its kinda cool watching this, because I played these courses last July.

Its a close finish, good tv.

Duke of Hazards

Re: Last few holes at the Desert

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Which ones? I played PGA West-Stadium and Jack Nicklaus Tournament (on same day a few years back), but not La Quinta. But I know the head pro at La Quinta C.C. so I'm hoping to get on there one of these days.

I'd like to go back and play Stadium again now that I'm playing better.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:43 am

If not for a less than mediocre putting day, Phil would have won by a lot. I enjoyed seeing him compete at 48 years old with guys half his age (and outdrive most of them). He said he was rusty. I hope I'm half that rusty when I can finally get back out there.

In the end, Adam Long, played wonderfully (and under the radar until the end). And, given his history of never winning on any professional tour he ever played on, from mini-tours, on up through Mexican, Canadian and Web.com tours, it is quite a story.
Good for him. :up

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Yeah, it was a feel good moment. Who knows if he'll ever do anything again, but at least he'll get to play Augusta and Kapalua.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Plus, he made over $1 million for winning. That's crazy money to him.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 pm
Which ones? I played PGA West-Stadium and Jack Nicklaus Tournament (on same day a few years back), but not La Quinta. But I know the head pro at La Quinta C.C. so I'm hoping to get on there one of these days.

I'd like to go back and play Stadium again now that I'm playing better.
Played Jack Nicholaus and Stadium
I'm going back in July for just 2 days.

The funny thing, those two courses were the worst condition out of all the courses we played.

My favorites from last year was Players course at Indian Wells Golf Resort ( Big Break Course ) and The Westin Mission Hills Resort by Pete Dye.
The Marriot courses were good too... it was a great week of fun, my golf was shocking, but still enjoyed the experience.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm

So which debut are you more looking forward to? 5-time Masters Champion Tiger this week or Choi at the AT&T pro-am?

Honestly as much as I like 5-time Masters Champion Tiger, unless 5-time Masters Champion Tiger is in contention on the weekend I'm more interested in seeing how Choi does in a PGA tour tournament.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 pm

My money says he doesn't make the cut.

Either way, when they replay his swing I think they should add cha cha music to it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Imagine Fred Ridley's reaction if someone does this on the 18th green at Augusta National.

Check out @jlukes’s Tweet:
Keep it short stupid.