2019 Newport Cup - sjduffers & GBogey - Pay Attention

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

2019 Newport Cup - sjduffers & GBogey - Pay Attention

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:30 am

Assuming the Sand Trap once again puts on a "Newport Cup" event, both of you should consider "applying." "Iacas" will announce the application process soon, if he decides to do this again. It is a cool golf experience as long as you are okay with playing a competitive event with a bunch of nice guys you barely know. Those of you who are TST members but inactive should also consider this. Just because one has not been active doesn't mean you would be excluded, as long as you engage now.

My cost in 2017 was $750 plus airfare from Detroit to Charlotte, NC, half a rental car ($100?) and food. You play 5 rounds on very nice courses and stay in a condo/house with your team. The sponsors give you a bunch of freebees: clothing, balls, accessories. I assume they will once again have it in the Phoenix area around October. SJD can probably drive there.

If the application process follows the pattern established in 2017, an applicant will need to have an index under 10.0 (check!), do a video of the applicant playing, answer some general questions (e.g. what unique skill do you have?) and be relatively active on the site.

This should NOT take away from your participation here. After all, this is our "home". If nothing else, we can all discuss the process here, away from prying eyes. ;)

Also, I will not attempt to qualify this year, assuming they set it up again. I am too old and feeble to go through the experience a 2nd time.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

sjduffers

Re: 2019 Newport Cup - sjduffers & GBogey - Pay Attention

Post by sjduffers » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I don't know man. It's tempting: we'll see. The video thing kinda freaks me out... The travel may be ok, although I doubt I would be driving more than 11 hours from San Jose to the Phoenix area. In golf terms, I would be massively outdriven, with my puny 220-230 drives (maybe more at Phoenix's altitude ?), but I may have a chance with chipping and putting, i.e. my regular game. ;)

And pray tell, why wouldn't you be trying again? Any regrets?
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm

The ages ran from 64 (me at the time) to 20. Everyone except one other guy was 50 or so and younger. Frankly, as an 8.6 or whatever index I had at the time, I was the worst, shortest and oldest golfer. I could have handled that except I was in a "slump" or down period so not only was I the worst, I was playing my worst, too.

I would love to go out in the AZ heat, dryness, elevation and play. I don't think I bonded with "Iacas" and hesitate to give him a chance to reject me. I did it once, had a good time, contributed to our team's win. I had the experience and think it was good. Someone else should get a chance. I may still make an application. Just the process of making the video was educational and fun. Use your creative juices to do the video, assuming there is a requirement. You are what, an hour from Hollywood? Let's see some special effects.

Again, this all presupposes that there will be a Newport Cup 2019. I think the process started in early February. Meanwhile, post and start threads here and there!!!!
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Well, I am turning 60 in a couple of months, and so I feel like I would be a second version of you. Except I live in Northern California, not close to Hollywood at all. Like I said, it's something to consider and I gave it some thought last time but I was barely under a 10.0 index then. I am more reliably around 8.0 now, having even scratched 6.6 at my lowest last summer. We'll see. Thanks for sharing your views on this.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 pm

:up Okay, our goal will be to play the singles match against each other on the last day. I think you will be giving me a shot or two, which only seems fair.
Let's Play 36

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:14 pm

What a bunch of elitists. 10.0. Pfft.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 am

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm
Well, I am turning 60 in a couple of months, and so I feel like I would be a second version of you. Except I live in Northern California, not close to Hollywood at all. Like I said, it's something to consider and I gave it some thought last time but I was barely under a 10.0 index then. I am more reliably around 8.0 now, having even scratched 6.6 at my lowest last summer. We'll see. Thanks for sharing your views on this.
Whoa, you look way younger than that. In my mind's eye, at least.
Build a bridge and get over it.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 am
Whoa, you look way younger than that. In my mind's eye, at least.
Well, I feel younger in my mind, too. :) Thanks for the comment man, I appreciate that!