WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 am

Had one of my best rounds ever (but not quite top 3) today with a 72 on my new easier home course. Pretty solid in every facet today, 5 bogeys and 3 birds. Interesting had 3 EXTREMELY bad swings that caused 3 of the bogeys, the kinds that you were thrilled to just make bogey, but otherwise was spot on for every hole. Really only about the 3rd time all year that everything has worked perfectly together. Another interesting one: on the par 3's and 5's - 8 GIRs and -3 to par, 2 of 3 fairways; on par 4's, +5 to par, only 2 GIRs, 3 of 8 fairways. I'm used to feasting on par 3's and 5's but that was ridiculous.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:00 am

Very nice round. I plan to have 1 more round of golf before I'm locked in doing bathroom remodeling stuff for 6 weeks. That will be my year.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Speaking of remodeling, I played a local round for the first time in such a long time yesterday. To my dismay I failed to break 90 on a course I know all too well. Attempting to do something very different with the swing, I made some of the worst shots imaginable. A four-putt on the third hole made me feel very unwelcome. On the fourth hole I pushed the drive into the trees, then ball below my feet I almost whiffed the next with a six-iron. The third shot was still below my feet, and so again I topped it, but this was like, the motherfucker of all tops, just kept rolling and rolling until it's eight feet from the hole :facepalm So I make par having topped it twice, with the same iron. You try that. On the sixth hole, a medium par 3 I attempted to hit an eight-iron and failed almost completely, to do so. I should've used the drop zone to save further humiliation (no one else was around but still) but no, let's make this a teaching moment, whatever. Let's try to work through this topping nonsense. I tried again and failed almost as spectacularly as the first time, maybe one dimple closer to the equator. Third try, about another dimple closer, which was just enough to produce a low weak line drive to clear the hazard at least. A nice chip and putt for a quad bogey. The next two holes are long and difficult, but somehow I make pars and feel kind of okay. But a few holes later I take a driver and again nearly fail to hit the ball :facepalm. Emotionally this was such a challenging round but look I still finished it, recorded the score and now I am even recounting the horror details. What do you want from me :fuckall
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 am
Had one of my best rounds ever (but not quite top 3) today with a 72 on my new easier home course. Pretty solid in every facet today, 5 bogeys and 3 birds. Interesting had 3 EXTREMELY bad swings that caused 3 of the bogeys, the kinds that you were thrilled to just make bogey, but otherwise was spot on for every hole. Really only about the 3rd time all year that everything has worked perfectly together. Another interesting one: on the par 3's and 5's - 8 GIRs and -3 to par, 2 of 3 fairways; on par 4's, +5 to par, only 2 GIRs, 3 of 8 fairways. I'm used to feasting on par 3's and 5's but that was ridiculous.
Nice shooting :onfire
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:08 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 pm
On the fourth hole I pushed the drive into the trees, then ball below my feet I almost whiffed the next with a six-iron. The third shot was still below my feet, and so again I topped it, but this was like, the motherfucker of all tops, just kept rolling and rolling until it's eight feet from the hole :facepalm So I make par having topped it twice, with the same iron. You try that.
I can somewhat top that. Years ago on a shortish par 5:
1. Perfect drive
2. Topped hybrid rolled 100 yards down fairway
3. Bladed 6i into green side bunker
4. Sand shot from the back of bunker to the front of bunker
5. Holed 2nd bunker shot

The reason this is so memorable is that for years it was the only bunker shot I ever holed. Still have only done it 3 times - not a strength of my game.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:16 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:08 pm

The reason this is so memorable is that for years it was the only bunker shot I ever holed. Still have only done it 3 times - not a strength of my game.
I am tied with you at three :facepalm

Considering the number of years playing and the volume of rounds, 3 is pretty pathetic for me.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:16 pm
GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:08 pm

I am tied with you at three :facepalm

Considering the number of years playing and the volume of rounds, 3 is pretty pathetic for me.
I've holed a bunch of bunker shots over the years. On average, probably at least one per year. I still remember some, like the one at Barefoot in North Myrtle eight or nine years ago, which hit the pin on a fly about a foot above the hole, and dropped in. Would have been 20-30 feet past if the pin was out. However, what I don't have is one, single Hole-in-One, of which, Mr. Kuehn, you seem to have more than your fair share.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Decided to play today instead of tomorrow. Today was warmer less wind, but had rain for most of the day.

Shot 80 after being +6 through 6 holes. After a shaky start I was able to get the swing I've been making on the simulator to start working. I hit my irons amazingly as you can see in the strokes gained below.

I need to work on my tee shots. I didn't really hurt myself today with them but I only hit 1 good drive and the rest were just serviceable.

Strokes (gained)/lost to a scratch golfer:
Driving - 2.98
Approach - (0.16)
Short game - (0.04)
Putting - 4.69

I'm sure a lot of the strokes lost putting came in the first 6 holes. I had 2 3-putts because I was struggling with the speed. It was raining pretty decently right when I got there. Not bad enough to make me not play, but bad enough that I didn't spend much time on the practice green. Then I also missed a 3' putt on #14.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfis ... nd/2424670
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I guess I actually shot 114. I left the pin in on all but one hole (brain fart and took it out).
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:21 pm

It is pretty obvious what I shot a week or so ago sucked. When I went to input the score into the GAM handicap system, I got a message that said something like, "Are you really sure you shot 94??? That score is well outside the typical score you have been posting. YOU SUCK!!!" :facepalm

So today I played better and scored much better than my ball striking would have indicated. I went into the GAM website to post the score and I got the message, "Hey, no way does a guy who shot 94 a week ago post a 77!!! Go back and re-count your strokes." :fk

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am
So yesterday I went and played a new course that was supposed to be a really nice course.

So I don't even know what I shot, it was something in the 90's. I wasn't at risk of hitting triple digits (shot a 42? on the front), but I also had no shot at breaking 90. Lots of 7's on the back 9, I think I had 4 in a row on holes 11-14. I didn't hit the ball well on the first 2 holes, then on hole 3 I shanked a wedge into the native area, and on hole 4 i had a pretty impossible lie near the green. After that I really got into a groove swing wise and shot 1 over on the last 5 holes of the front side, with 4 birdie attempts. My group decided to stop at the turn and there was a line of frat boys ordering double screw drivers or some crap. So 25 min later we headed to the back 9, where I made 1 good swing the entire time.

Now to the excuses course setup. So I've always heard how nice of a golf course it is in the area. I'd been looking forward to playing it for 2 years I'd just been too lazy to actually get over there even though it's only 25 min from my house. I haven't played a course with houses and OB lining so many holes since I moved from Florida. Every hole on the back 9 had one side of it lined with OB with the exception of #18 which had water on both sides of the FW (I found both lakes on that hole). With my driver issues I hit 3 shots OB and spent a lot of time in the opposite rough trying to stay clear of it. Other than that I really liked the actual layout of the course. It was completely different than what I normally see around here. Lots of mounding and the rough was frequently a penalty. The downside to the rough is it wasn't consistent, there were patches where there was nothing, or crab grass had taken over. Then there were areas that look like Doug's picture above where the ball just drops to the bottom and can barely be seen. Other than the patchy nature of it I kind of liked having that extra challenge. I wasn't bothered too much by it around the green, but hitting longer shots was occasionally impossible. The guys I was playing with were all members and they were all complaining that it was "unplayable" that wasn't what I saw, but hey to each their own. The greens were just as spotty as the rough with many dead spots. The bunkers looked like they hadn't been touched by maintenance crew in 6-7 months. Somehow I never got in one though. After seeing the bunkering on the 1st 2 holes I decided to stay really far away from them.

What I found out was that a year ago the course was amazing and the owner tried to get it rezoned for commercial real estate. The city apparently told him to pound sand and he's been trying to sell it ever since. So he just has no desire to put any money into it. Pretty sad given there were a lot of nice features to the course
So the course I went to in this post closed its doors on Monday.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 am

That's too bad.
Throw me another ball will ya!