WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:40 am

Complete confidence buster yesterday - played my home course which will be round 1 of the tournament. Driver totally abandoned me and I got off to the worst start possible. Through 5 holes I was +7 and had more topped shots (3) and tossed clubs (3) than fairways or GIRs (0). Not sure how many f words there were. Never got comfortable with my swing the whole day although my chipping held me to +3 the last 13 holes. Unfortunately I'm the kind of player that sometimes lets a bad start get to him and yesterday that was the case.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:40 am
...and tossed clubs (3).
When I am playing poorly, I sometimes feel like tossing a club. I always stop because with my aim, I would likely hit myself! ;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:06 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 am
GBOGEY wrote:
...and tossed clubs (3).
When I am playing poorly, I sometimes feel like tossing a club. I always stop because with my aim, I would likely hit myself! ;)
:rofl
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:11 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 am
GBOGEY wrote:
...and tossed clubs (3).
I had a friend toss a putter into the air and it landed on his head.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:15 pm

First day of tournament – crazy up and down day. First, for some reason day one was being played from the Gold tees – I think because this is a senior event. These are 600 yards SHORTER than my normal tees at this course, so I needed to shoot 74-75 or better to be a good round. Really rough start – semi popped up drive on first hole which should be a reachable par 5 but for me wasn’t due to pop up. 2nd shot was a beautiful FW, wedge safely on in 3 to 25 feet. Not a great birdie putt, 3 feet above the hole. Missed it badly and my ball rolled about 1.5 foot past the hole. Angry, I went around and tapped it back to the hole only to lip out. So I had a four putt DB to start. 2nd hole – missed left which is dead. Bad pitch rolled 35 feet past hole. Then 3 putted – DB.

3rd hole had good drive. Then hit a very thin wedge. Thought I was going to die. Mysteriously the wedge held the green only 30 feet from the hole so I made par. At that point I started playing decently. On holes 3-16 I had one triple bogey where I mysteriously put a par 3 shot into the water (never do that – always miss left) and another DB when what seemed like a great shot from a fairway bunker went long into a tough lie. But I also made four birdies and missed two more from five feet. After 16 holes I had 3 DB, 1 TB, 8 pars, 4 birdies – 0 bogeys.

Unfortunately I didn’t finish well. I hit two good shots on 17 and was only 25 feet from the hole. But the pin was in a really tough spot from where I was so I three putted for bogey. Then on 18 another mysterious shot – pulled a drive way left OB for the first time all day. Even one of my playing partners was like where did that come from. Repeat drive was long and down the middle.

Finished with a +8 78 – not awful but not good. 4 DB’s and 1 TB doesn’t work. But other than that pretty good. BTW both of my partners were real sticks – one shot even par and the other shot +1. They are both leading their respective age groups.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:13 am

@GBOGEY2 Great that you were able to calm down and not give up after a double-double start; particularly playing with two good players. I know you were hopeful for---or maybe expecting---better, but it was a tournament. A real one. I don't care what anyone says. The pressure is much greater when you know everyone out there is as serious as you about their game. It's not casual golf. It might as well be Sunday at the Masters, because that is how significant it is to most every one of your competitors.

Also, playing from the short tees in a one-day event means little. Still gotta get the ball in the same little 4 1/4 inch hole. Poor lies are still just as bad as from the tips and happen just as often; bad luck happens from all tees and the greens are the same greens. Yes, shorter approach shots might help a little, but you still have to execute. Under pressure, execution is a lot more difficult. Even on easy shots.

Despite the doubles and triple, you made a good showing. Four birdies for Christ's sake! Next time, you'll have this experience to take with you. Besides, like you said, you weren't expecting to win it. Keep playing tournaments. It will only make you better. Pretty soon, you just might be expecting to win.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Pretty good showing bogey.

I play our senior event starting tomorrow.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:09 am

Round 2 went much better. First, the pre-tournament info was wrong. It was played at this course from my normal blue tees, not the very long gold. So my gold tee fretting and practice was a waste, except it helped my hybrid game and I made 3 very good hybrid shots during the round.

Started first 8 holes in +1, which was good and reasonable. Driver left me starting at 9th hole and I messed up a chip to DB a par 5. My chipping game at this point was the weakest link to my tournament play. But held together for +2 on the back for a +5 76 overall. Hit 3 nice chips on the back as well so that part of my game does exist. Putter great all day. Ball striking good but driver bad. Overall my swing held up better to tournament pressure than I would have thought. My chipping much worse. Putter was better one day and worse the other.

Finished 78 / 76 - my goals from these tees were 74 / 77, so at least I beat it on one day. Finished 5th for my age group and got a gift card for more than my entrance fee, so that's a success. Looking at the participants, three of the four people who beat me were real players who I had small chance of beating, so I ended up pretty close to where I should have been. I started the day in 6th place and thought maybe I could beat one of my playing partners and maybe the other would have a breakdown day (he was 5 ahead of me) and I could sneak into 4th. Well the better play hit a bad second shot on the opening par 5 and I thought here's my chance. Two shots later I realized I wasn't catching him. The other guy though had a round like I had day 1 - kept imploding for DB.

Overall good experience - the goal was to see how my game held up under pressure and I think it did okay although chipping and driving could be better. It was good to play with some really good players - two of my partners were 3-4 shots better than me handicap wise, but it felt like much more. There games' were much smoother and lower stress than my game - it would take a world of improvement to reach that level. The other learning was that if I want to play in these types of events I need to do a better job on the par 5's - +3 on 7 holes although the +3 was short game related.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 am

@GBOGEY2 , welcome to the world of competitive golf. Very nice results. :up
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:55 pm

83 for the first round of the senior club championship. Very tough two club wind. Putting very well.
Tee it up!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 am

Congratulations @GBOGEY.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:46 pm

85 today. As good as I putted yesterday the opposite was true today. Seven 3 putts. Pathetic.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:46 pm
85 today. As good as I putted yesterday the opposite was true today. Seven 3 putts. Pathetic.
Know the feeling - didn't make anything today.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:51 am

A tidy 83 at Windmill Lakes, including this BOMB on 17.
Windmill 10-06-19.png
Windmill 10-06-19.png (423.27 KiB) Viewed 323 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 am

Not much fw left need to start hitting 3w.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:22 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 am
Not much fw left need to start hitting 3w.
Until I hit it into the tiny creek at the end of the fairway, I'll keep using the driver.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm

It had been 1 month since I managed to break 80. 14 effing rounds shooting 80 to 91 every time. And it wasn't like I was hitting the ball well and just not scoring. I was chopping and fatting my way toward mediocrity.

When I decided to venture out last Saturday, I had no expectations of ending the scoring drought. We have had quite a bit of rain and every course is like a soaked sponge. My short game kept me alive as I struggled once again. One lousy green in regulation but five 1-putts, along with decent chipping, allowed me to make the turn at only +3.

When I bogeyed #14, I figured my goose was cooked. The closing 4 holes are fairly difficult and I often finish "Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey." I managed to get up & down on #15 from about 10 yards short of the green. Then I put my tee shot on #16 to 10 feet and rolled the putt in. Woo hoo! The rest is history as I parred the slightly easier #17 and then took the usual bogey on the finisher.

:yess

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 am

Congratulations @bkuehn1952!

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:22 am

Well, my game can travel somewhat. Play Firestone West course yesterday and shot an 88 with 2 penalties. The greens weren't as fast as I thought on the front but as they were drying out on the back they got a lot quicker. What a fantastic day.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm
It had been 1 month since I managed to break 80. 14 effing rounds shooting 80 to 91 every time. And it wasn't like I was hitting the ball well and just not scoring. I was chopping and fatting my way toward mediocrity.

When I decided to venture out last Saturday, I had no expectations of ending the scoring drought. We have had quite a bit of rain and every course is like a soaked sponge. My short game kept me alive as I struggled once again. One lousy green in regulation but five 1-putts, along with decent chipping, allowed me to make the turn at only +3.

When I bogeyed #14, I figured my goose was cooked. The closing 4 holes are fairly difficult and I often finish "Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey." I managed to get up & down on #15 from about 10 yards short of the green. Then I put my tee shot on #16 to 10 feet and rolled the putt in. Woo hoo! The rest is history as I parred the slightly easier #17 and then took the usual bogey on the finisher.

:yess

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
:fk
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:02 am

Shot a weird 85 at Windmill yesterday. 47 front 38 back. Green are still healing from their aeration. We'll see what happens today.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 pm

87 a whole 9 shots better than I shot in January.

Teed off at 1:30 and holed last puts right after sunset around 6:15.

So what I should have shot was the group who couldn't find a way to play in 4.00 or less.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 am

@jasonfish11 score was good mate, pity about the 5 hour round.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:21 am

Shot a 78 at Musket Ridge with a perfect back nine (36) on Friday. However, played from the white tees (128 slope) with two older guys. Even older'n me! https://www.thegrint.com/score/edit_score/7032109

Started off on the wrong foot with a double (and penalty) on the first, but obviously, found something. This is the 6th time I have played Musket this year. (Ssssshh. I think it might even be nicer than Worthington! Love this place. Yes, I know, the grass is always greener..., but here, it actually is...literally.) Gorgeous track in the mountains 20 minutes from my home.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:27 pm

I told you several years ago it was a fine track.
Tee it up!