WTF did you shoot today?

MattF
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by MattF » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:51 am

Shot a 42 on the front 9 at Windmill. I ran into the last half of a junior tournament on 12, so I called it quits.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 am

CeeBee wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:27 pm
I told you several years ago it was a fine track.
Yes, you did. And I have been playing it a few times a year since I got to MD, beginning with your recommendation. This year it has been in absolutely wonderful condition every time I played it. I still love WM and believe it is a touch more challenging though. Yet, I have to say, the greens at Musket on this most recent visit, were as fast as I have ever seen them. Comparable to WM, only without as much undulation and slope.

The thing that makes Musket so attractive to me---in addition to its beauty and conditioning---is that it is just far enough out from the DC crowd that it doesn't get nearly the everyday play. It is usually peaceful and serene for a midday, mid-week round. Worthington is rockin' from 7-7, 7 days a week.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm

78 on super-fast greens with some pins unfairly set on slopes. Pissed me off. Friggin guy who set pins today needs to learn what is and is not fair. It's one thing to set a pin on a slight slope when the stimp is slow enough to stop the ball on that slope. It's clearly another thing to have the greens rolling at 12+ with no way to stop a ball on that same slope without it actually going in the hole. I had two putts today run right up to a hole and virtually stop within a few inches of the hole, only to then start to trickle, pick up more speed and roll 10 or more feet down the slope.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm
78 on super-fast greens with some pins unfairly set on slopes. Pissed me off. Friggin guy who set pins today needs to learn what is and is not fair. It's one thing to set a pin on a slight slope when the stimp is slow enough to stop the ball on that slope. It's clearly another thing to have the greens rolling at 12+ with no way to stop a ball on that same slope without it actually going in the hole. I had two putts today run right up to a hole and virtually stop within a few inches of the hole, only to then start to trickle, pick up more speed and roll 10 or more feet down the slope.
HA! I learned about this last year after I moved. If it's cold enough for the Bermuda grass to go dormant, then the Bermuda kind of curls up. Makes them faster than usual. Totally not what I expected.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Even though I mentioned it yesterday, I fell victim to similar issues today. Greens already dormant and fast. Losing 15-20 yards off the tee. We went straight past fall. 79, not bad considering I hadn't played in a few weeks and I was getting my back into the swing.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Had a solid 75 today. Given the conditions - limited roll and winter greens - was very pleased. Will likely move up a tee soon for the winter. More importantly, the back was not an issue at all. Have a big trip coming up.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 am

Shot an 81 Thursday, but the important factor is that it was at TPC Sawgrass. Hideously expensive but a really neat experience. Best I've played on a Marquee course - decided to take my medicine whenever I was out of position really only two bad holes, unfortunately one of those was #17. Difficult combination of pin position, distance, and wind for me - pulled left into the water. But overall very pleased and it checks off my 2019 bucket list goals.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Jealous, but happy for you.

What club did you hit on 17th? What was distance that day and wind speed/direction? Who did you play with, friends or paired with others you didn't know?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Back in the early 90s my dad played sawgrass. One of his best golf memories is birdying 17.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:10 pm

But 81 at that course is a really good score
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I played with a young man from Australia, who was near scratch, and two sales guys who 20-25 handicaps. Really fun group but a random pairing- actually on a tennis trip with my wife and the carrot for me was to work in good golf

17 was playing 128 yards but you needed 122 to carry the water and there was about a 1-1.5 club wind right at me. Without the wind it’s an easy pitching wedge, with the wind I need a hard 9i but my tendency is to pull a hard 9i left and I did.

I can see why they call it an iron players course. Greens really didn’t have near as much action as I expected, although they were also slower than usual due to over seeding. The drives are challenging, especially for pros looking for birdies and many of the greens are small or odd shaped.

17, btw, is much smaller than it looks on tv.