WTF did you shoot today?

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:20 am
I want to be able to hit a high (4 to 5 feet high) chip that carries about 10 to 12 feet and rolls out about a foot. If I could do that regularly and with confidence, I'd be happy.
Not really a chip. That's a mini flop. It's easy with the correct technique and the right wedge. I can explain it, but without demonstrating, it might sound confusing here.

Last night I started to reply to your chipping concerns with a very long instructional :school post and realized it was way too much to explain without visual reference. So I gave up and trashed it. I know I can help you, but maybe I'll do so in a private message so as not to bore the world (of 7 or 8 people) here who have no interest in reading through another of my long-winded posts.

I truly enjoy helping others (who ask me) with their short game. It's kinda my forte. I practice endlessly at it. I've helped turn some decent golfers at my club into lower handicappers, just through firming up their short games. I may not be a certified PGA teaching pro, but I actually helped one with his short game last season and he still makes reference to it when he makes the shot I helped him with. So, check your inbox in a little while for a slightly more in-depth answer to your earlier post from last night, not the post above about short flop shots.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:11 pm

+8 43 on the front nine at Marine Park with Ms. Beef. Everyone and their dad was out there today, spectacular weather. Instead of agonizing through 18 holes we decided to hit a couple buckets and then walk a leisurely nine--a sound, mature executive decision on my part. :up We both had fun and got good practice in. I hit some good irons today, I am especially excited about stupid golf. Which is probably why I didn't blow my stack over the slow play and general stupidity on display. Brooklyn crowd seemed extra Brooklyn today :puke
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm

With the weather here quite nice and the courses dry, I felt like I had no choice but to start my "official" season and start posting rounds and recording stats. Not sure what I think about today's round with a +6 76, basically matching last year's average. On the one hand, based upon the last two months an average round is great. On the other 4 unplayable drives is atrocious. On the one hand, 76 with four unplayable drives is great. On the other hand, three lip outs, two so slow can't believe they didn't stick and missed two 5 footers for birdie. Lots of good and bad today.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:38 pm

I played Sunday at LinRick and shot a 96. Pretty pleased I guess, considering my laziness. I opened with a par on the first par5 with a long putt that found the hole, and the almost aced the second hole Par3 with a 9 iron but missed the 3 foot birdie putt. I missed so many short putts to the left. I just had my putter regrouped and about 4/5 thru the round I looked closer and I'm holding the face closed. Damnit. Maybe It's the grip. I also had a memorable hole where my approach shot over water was a bit thin, hit the water short of land by a few feet, and bounced up onto the green. (3 putted for bogey)
Everything Sucks

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 pm

Oh this was my first round with the new PING G700 irons and I like them. Much more than my old i20's which I sold to a coworker. They are super forgiving. I still have Mizuno's which I may pull back out from time to time,
Everything Sucks

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:42 am

Started off well yesterday. Played the back nine first. Birdied the toughest hole on the back (12). Was 1-under through 7.
Pressure got to me. 1-over through nine.
Then played the front in 41. :fk
Final: 78. :bored

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 pm

74 today. Another good one. Back to back good ones, actually. Too bad it doesn't count. Our posting season begins NEXT week. :cmon

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 am

Two rounds this week. Tuesday was pretty good (79) while yesterday was not too good (85). Weather appears to be an issue for the extended weekend but I may get out at my winter course, Fox Hills.

The City announced all park facilities are closed until April 6. The parks are open but not the facilities. I wonder if I can play the courses for free? Maybe print the email announcement so when the police roll up I can wave that at them. Silver lining to every plague! :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:48 am

Went out on Monday and played San Carlos in Estero with my FIL. He only played 9 because he ran out of puff. But I shot a 45/42 87 with 32 putts. I'll take it for not having played since the beginning of October. A mate down here got us a tee time for Thursday at Innisbrook for $35.
Throw me another ball will ya!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:46 pm

I shot an 86 on Monday on my third day in a row walking. Had a 39 on the front with 8 GIR, and 20 F'n putts. And my missed GIR was because I thought I could get a flyer 8 to the green instead of hitting the 7 I should have on the third hole. Missed the shot by about two yards, hit the top of a mound just short of the green, and rolled back into a bunker. Not a missed shot, a bad club selection with the wind.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:54 pm

So I apologize for posting about rounds when most of you can’t play, but today was worth talking about.

So one interesting thing about the current situation is that two of the three courses on my “I need to try list” are open. So I decided to play one of those today and will do another next week. Now be aware that I am king of the “do not play a course well the first time club.” I had a very mediocre front nine - +6/42. I’d like to say that the course was the reason, but there was probably only one stroke that I could blame on the “first time.” The wind, however, was messing with my head and I was committing enough to my swing. Also didn’t chip well as a couple of missed greens should have been good opportunities to save par.

The back started in similar fashion. I hit a great 9i but got it up into the wind so I came up short. This time though I got up and down. The next few holes, partly because of the wind, I just aimed at the fat of the green. Two of those ended up 15 feet away and I rolled them in for birdies. Missed two more greens, but chipped to 5 feet and made both. Ended the 2nd nine -2 /34. I think I’ve been -2 a few times, but never the first time on a course.

I'll have to figure out whether I should to back or just say, "I can handle that course."

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:59 am

Shot a very ordinary 45 on the front at Windmill yesterday. It was cold, for me, at 51° with gusting breezes and was like the Bataan death march. The 2 jokers in front of me tee off to the tune of maybe 150 yards, but probably less and then wait until the green is clear before hitting their second shots, which lead to third, fourth and sometimes fifth before making the green, so I waited on every single shot. Pulled the pin after 9 and went home...golf is not enjoyable doing that.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Had a break through yesterday at what has become my favorite course. Finally broke 80 with a strong 77, and that's despite making a really stupid DB on #18. Today, same course, same golfer - 87. 5 DB's and a TB - ouch!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:16 am

The past couple days were fine for golf, not great but above freezing with no precipitation. Despite my desire to tee it up, I have stayed away from the course. The hysteria over the lockdown and subsequent re-opening has created a firestorm of golfers at the 75% of courses that have opened. Little effort appears to have been given to controlling the mob. Yes, there are "rules" to support social distancing but in the frenzy to get on the course, people are stomping all over the "rules", if they even are aware of them.

I may attempt to play Tuesday, depending on how the mob reacts.
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:19 pm

BK, when you are ready, you need to come to Hellabama. I got the hookup, walking or riding. Maybe even alcohol.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:00 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:19 pm
BK, when you are ready, you need to come to Hellabama. I got the hookup, walking or riding. Maybe even alcohol.
'n haircuts :banana

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Got a hook up there too

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:06 pm
Had a break through yesterday at what has become my favorite course. Finally broke 80 with a strong 77, and that's despite making a really stupid DB on #18. Today, same course, same golfer - 87. 5 DB's and a TB - ouch!
One of those what the? experiences - same course, same golfer, 77, 87, 78. Good thing I'm not playing today.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 am

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0

75 on a course set-up shorter than the score card. Still, I played well. Green Oaks is owned by Ypsilanti Township, the town next to Ann Arbor. Ypsi is a blue collar town with economic troubles but their course was open unlike Ann Arbor. I made a tee time online as instructed. I signed up for the first tee time of 7:00am. The next "group" was scheduled for 7:24 so I just had to hope a couple of yahoo's didn't sign up for 7:00am with me or someone took 7:12am and would try to beat me to the first tee. (normal tee time splits at 8 minutes but for social distancing, they are using 12 minnutes now)

IMG_0021.JPG

I arrived at 6:45am and the gate was locked. Hmmmm... Soon the manager arrived and we exchanged greetings from 30 feet. The clubhouse is not open to the public so I showed my receipt through a window and was good to go.
IMG_0020.JPG
I started out well with a drive right down the middle and then a miracle occurred and I put my approach on the green, pin high. At that point I became acquainted with the "upside down cup" set-up. The "hole" is very shallow and good putts still tend to bounce off the bottom or flagstick.
IMG_0023 (2).JPG
With no rakes, the bunkers are pretty chewed up and it appeared the course made no effort to prepare the bunkers for play in 2020.
IMG_0026.JPG
One of the unique features of Green Oaks are the bee hives. Why are they there? No idea but I assume one of the course employees has a hobby collecting honey.
IMG_0027.JPG
Well, that is all from the re-start of 2020 in the Mitten Shaped Corona Hotspot.
IMG_0028.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am

That bottoms up cup is much shallower than the ones I've seen. I actually like both the bottoms up and the swim noodle - easier to get your ball out.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am
That bottoms up cup is much shallower than the ones I've seen. I actually like both the bottoms up and the swim noodle - easier to get your ball out.
Yes, if they would just make the bottom a bit lower down, it would be fine. These were incredibly shallow, at times.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:02 am

Nice fresh report @bkuehn1952

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Initially, my club tried the upside down cups, but strong breezes would blow the flagsticks out. Now they have put a piece of plastic with a hole cut out that the flagstick went through. It is probably three quarters of a ball deep. We do play if it hits the plastic and bounces out, it is holed.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 am

No offense to anyone who enjoys it but Jesus Christ this whole modified cup business might be a dealbreaker. I think I'd rather hit balls at the range than play golf without holes. I don't want to have to make judgment calls about whether a ball was close enough to going in or whatever.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:49 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 am
No offense to anyone who enjoys it but Jesus Christ this whole modified cup business might be a dealbreaker. I think I'd rather hit balls at the range than play golf without holes. I don't want to have to make judgment calls about whether a ball was close enough to going in or whatever.
I agree that the alternate hole situation is a problem. Yesterday the depth varied from 1/8 inch to 3/4 of an inch. Frankly, none of the "holes" were deep enough to reliably capture a rolling golf ball.

The upside down hole liner is fine IF they sink the cup at least an inch below the edge of the grass. It is deep enough to capture a rolling golf ball but not so deep as to require one to "feel up" the hole. The USGA really ought to get involved. List out the alternative methods and recommend a preferred method, along with how to do it. Yes, the USGA is responsible for keeping golf pure and doesn't want to dirty their hands with recommending a method to bastardize golf. Still, who else has the authority to tell all the courses, "this is the best way."
Let's Play 36