WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:51 pm

@DougE @bkuehn1952 Don't try to flatter me as it doesn't work. Anything I am benefiting from today is merely the result of being 5-10 years younger. I remember clearly my early days of OOB and seeing your low handicaps, your tales of how many rounds you played a year (especially Doug), and seeing Doug's well tanned picture and thinking I want to be like those guys. Now I finally am.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:37 am

Shot a 90 this past Friday at Lexington CC. If I could chip it would have been low 80’s. Not an exaggeration - I seriously cannot hit a chip shot - costs me an extra stroke every time. I either chunk it a foot and half, or I blade it 50 feet. Every time. It’s getting old.

We did have a great round, though. We played “left - right” where each hole the match is determined by the two players in the left off the tee versus the two players on the right. It was two 12 hcp and two 16 so made it easy to determine which holes we got a dot. Everybody played pretty well so there was a lot of excitement through the whole round. We were all even after 15 so for the last 3 holes we doubled the bet and even though I parred two of the last holes I ended up the loser of the day and the only one not to break 90. So I bought a couple rounds at the clubhouse.
Everything Sucks

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 pm

jfurr wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:37 am
I seriously cannot hit a chip shot - costs me an extra stroke every time. I either chunk it a foot and half, or I blade it 50 feet. Every time. It’s getting old.
Have you tried using a straight back and through putting stroke? It works wonders for me.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:45 am

77. Three birdies. :banana :banana :banana

A little bit of everything today, three putts, sand save, left a shot in the bunker, hack out of the weeds, etc... Always amazed at how birdies tend to "right the ship". We make mistakes and the birdies fix the mistake.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Great job! Love the three bananas! :up

Before you know it, you will start calling birdies bananas to your golf buddies, and they will really think that BK is losing his marbles! :rofl
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:49 pm

Our third Tournament under COVID rules was today. I had pooped in my pants the first two events with a 91 and then 85. Today we had a very wet course after torrential rains last night. The course played long but there were many short holes where length was not an issue. Shot 79 and while ordinarily that is cause for celebration, I felt unfulfilled.

I had several very good birdie opportunities but failed to close the deal on a single one. Plus, down the stretch, I went bogey-bogey-bogey. Sigh. :bawl
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Quite pleased with how I held together today. As I mentioned last week, despite playing quite well lately I haven't had a good round at my home course. So today was -1 after five holes but then hit several unimaginably bad shots to to bogey, double, bogey, and then double again to finish the front +5. Missed the 10th green but chipped to 10 feet and made it and from there I proceeded to play the back 9 in -1 to end at a +4 / 74. The highlights were the last three holes where last week I went bogey, double, bogey to end the round. Well I missed 16 left in the same place but this week chipped to a foot. On 17 had about the same approach but put it on safety for routine par, and on 18 I almost chipped in. Quite satisfying in the end when at the turn it looked quite bleak.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 pm
... Quite satisfying in the end when at the turn it looked quite bleak.
Yes. Salvaging something good is a great way to end it. :thumbs
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:16 am

Played yesterday at Washtenaw Golf Club. Shot 81. Not too bad as the course is not easy (71.4/134). Narrow driving lanes on this heavil tree-lined course with lots of bunkers and sloping greens. We played a three man game. Every 6 holes one of us played the other two, their best ball vs. the solo player. Win a hole was a point. If the solo tied for low ball, he got a half point.

Fritz is around a "5" and he kicked our butts as a solo. I was leading the second six by a half point when we arrived at the par-3 12th hole (last hole for this match). I put my tee shot 10 feet from the hole. I really wanted to make that birdie and aggressively went for the win. :puke Missed the 4 foot comeback and lost the match to a par. :facepalm
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Shot a lackluster 91 today on my home course. Played hybrid tees set at 6000 yds but may as well been7000. Can’t get off the tee. Timing and weight transfer is horrible. Been struggling off and on for about two years. :facepalm
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:32 pm

I got to experience a bit of a time warp yesterday. Long ago I would go to various courses and just join a twosome or threesome. Over the decades I met some interesting characters and accumulated some fun experiences. It was/is rare to meet a complete and unredeemable ass on the golf course.

Yesterday I had signed up as a single at 8:08am. A friend was going to sign-up too, but then backed out. Three other people signed up so I was now part of a foursome.

I arrived a bit early so the three did not try to go early and leave me without a slot. Eventually they checked in and we met on the tee. They were in their 30's riding carts while I was walking. On the whole, they were decent guys. Still, I had to experience the new way golf is played.

Music - Best of the 90's? Check.
Cigars. Check
Drink beer at 9:00am. Check
Play the tips and barely break 100. Check
Have a decent swing, hit it a long way, and occasionally get it in play. Check

I shot 81 playing the same ball the whole round, except when Brock motored up to my ball and airmailed it into the woods before I could catch up and explain his drive was in the woods, not the one in the fairway with red marks on both sides.

The group in front played at a steady but slow pace. We waited on every tee and second shot. Those fuckers never looked back, even with several open holes. The problem was my group was not interested in pushing them and was content to plod along. It became hard to concentrate with the music, slow pace, balls flying into the woods, etc...

It was just like the good old days. :puke
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:10 pm

I hear you. I don't get the music thing. It typically doesn't bother me, but I don't know why someone would want it while playing golf. Drinking can be pretty big in the golf culture here - almost never saw a lot of that in NJ. For whatever reason, people playing the wrong tees happens much less than in NJ. That I can be thankful for.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:15 pm

@bkuehn1952 I truly hoped you enjoyed trouncing their young asses. I know I would have.

I remember when I was young, way back when. I was playing alongside a guy who was like 90 who hit it straight down the middle every time. Pissed me off. He didn't hit it far, but was always to the green in reg or GIR+1. He could chip and putt well. I learned a lot from that old guy in that one single round. Like how accuracy is usually more important than distance. In any case, I still remember him from over 40 years ago. Funny, he was probably closer to 65 than 90, but back then, 65...80...90, it was all the same to me. Old!

@GBOGEY Music and golf don't work together for me, either. Love music. Love golf. Just not at the same time.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Meh. So what?!

So what is that included two GiR pars! I'm actually pretty pumped about it.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:56 am

JPJ wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Meh. So what?!

So what is that included two GiR pars! I'm actually pretty pumped about it.
:claps
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:10 pm

JPJ wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 pm
...So what is that included two GiR pars! I'm actually pretty pumped about it.
GIR's are your friend. The more we get, the easier it is to score. :thumbs
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:12 pm

The problem I have with rounds like I had on Friday is that I start wondering if I’ve lost my swing forever. I understand that there are good rounds and bad rounds. But for whatever irrational reason, when the swing is totally missing I wonder if my hot streak is over and I’m back to normal going forward. At least until my next round.

Today I was concerned I didn’t have it. I rested my body since Friday’s heat exhaustion. I was +1 after six holes, but that was thanks to 3 up and downs as I had missed 4 of 5 approaches with a short club. Then out of nowhere, 10 straight GIR’s with 5 good looks at bird (made one) and 30 feet for an eagle (easy bird). With one three putt (wedge that felt perfect went 50 feet long), I was even after 16. Unfortunately, a slightly right tee shot on 17 turned into a lost ball (shot really wasn’t that bad – mystery penalty), bad approach, and triple. Then a par on the very difficult 18 for a +3 /73. One hole away from my best round ever. Still quite pleased.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Nice round GBOGEY
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Our 4th Tournament and things are starting to click. Shot a 76 with a double on the 17th hole because I hit too crisp a shot. 17 had a back hole location with wind in our faces. I read the yardage as 140 yards to the back edge and chose the lesser club. I did not want to feel like I needed to hold back or hit less than a full shot. If I did not clear the water, so be it. I guess I was too relaxed and I flew the green. Impossible hard pan lie 20 yards over the green lead to double. Sigh, hit a shot too well. :facepalm

We will see how the result stacks up. I think I had a "playing handicap" of 7 so a net 69 might make some money. Lots of birdie chances but the greens were tricky and a touch slow so I only made one.

Celebrating with a bottle of proseco. :banana :yess
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:55 pm

Very good showing.
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:10 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 pm
Sigh, hit a shot too well. :facepalm
I hate when that happens.

76 in a tournament? Awesome! Great job BK. :up

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:17 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:10 am
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 pm
Sigh, hit a shot too well. :facepalm
I hate when that happens....
Yes, but at least we made a good strike. Infinitely better to make double the way I did than to fat the shot into the pond, drop, wedge on and two putt. True, a double is a double but I won't ruminate as much on one that involved a nice swing.

Oh, I won the B Flight (Gross and Net). Had to beat our 94 year old who shot 79. We have had an influx of better players and I have been demoted to B. :facepalm
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:17 pm
We have had an influx of better players and I have been demoted to B. :facepalm
I like being in Flight B. As one of the players who just missed the cut I've got a real good chance to win upcoming events. Plus occasionally you can sneak a score in that shows you can beat a Flight A player without any downside if you don't. Works for me.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:02 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:17 pm
We have had an influx of better players and I have been demoted to B. :facepalm
I like being in Flight B. As one of the players who just missed the cut I've got a real good chance to win upcoming events. Plus occasionally you can sneak a score in that shows you can beat a Flight A player without any downside if you don't. Works for me.
Yes, my best competitive position is the B flight. Still, I can sort of remember the days when I occasionally shot low gross among all 108 competitors. It did not happen often but it was a possibility. Not anymore! :bawl
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:33 am

Lots of UPS and a little down from yesterday:
UP: Another top 10 round of all time with a 74 (index 2.6) in my tournament group. That's four top 10's in the last 5 weeks.
Down: Missed a two footer for par on #7 and then inexplicably bogeyed the 18th - hit what felt like a very good iron but it went 50 feet by the hole with an eventual three putt - would have been nice to have those two.
Down: Shockingly my result was tied by another player in my flight who's index is many strokes worse, so no outright win.
UP: Reading the group rules, if I had been a shot better I think they would have moved me up to A flight. I like being B for this year.
UP: Under the old handicap, I'd now be a 4.0. Under the new, I'm going to be in the 3's. I never dreamed I get here. And I'm still giving away 1-2 strokes per hole.