dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by MattF » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am

Congratulations BK!
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Shot 80 with 5 birdies after several mediocre rounds in the 90s. Personal bests in birdies and GIR%.
Attachments
scorecard.png
scorecard.png (69.58 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 pm

Very nice
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:53 am

Good one Duke.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 am

Great round for you yesterday, Spencer. 5 birdies is impressive, plus 61% of GIR. Seems like it could have been even lower, based on the 18th hole score. Was the pressure setting in, knowing you had such a great round going? I know that feeling well. Congrats on a memorable round.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:36 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 pm
Shot 80 with 5 birdies after several mediocre rounds in the 90s. Personal bests in birdies and GIR%.
:up

The handicap committee will be reviewing your alleged index. :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 am
Great round for you yesterday, Spencer. 5 birdies is impressive, plus 61% of GIR. Seems like it could have been even lower, based on the 18th hole score. Was the pressure setting in, knowing you had such a great round going? I know that feeling well. Congrats on a memorable round.
Thanks guys. Yes, I was +4 on the 18th tee box, drew one into the left FW, bunker, then hacked it out to left rough, just short of a water hazard fronting the green, laying 2. Then dumped my 40 yard pitch to the green into the water. Hit 5th on, but on the other side of a mound. Then I think I rushed and 3 putted. It stings pretty bad, knowing what could've been. Trying to figure out what I should take from it, but I think maybe I just need a little more work on short game, since the 3rd shot wasn't poorly struck, I just didn't hit it hard enough. Worst part is, I won't be able to play for 3 weeks, so this thing is going to be knocking around in my head until then. I take solace in the fact that I'm not the first golfer to completely choke under pressure.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm

:lolz

Not laughing at @Duke of Hazards misfortune. 1) it is just a game B) 80 is a fine score and C) you have to laugh at both the cruelness of golf as well as the failure of the human psyche to keep its shit together in such moments.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:04 pm

I've played at Skylinks near the airport in Long Beach. Pretty decent course except for, y'know, the airport, and Long Beach.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Yeah, I like the course, but not the jet noise.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Yeah, I like the course, but not the jet noise.
Haha, come to Virginia Beach. Our jet noise is F-18's.

I work right next to the "international" airport and I never notice the noise from commercial jets because over at my house we deal with the super hornets.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Played with two college team players who were both going to be playing in the Maryland Open taking place at Worthington Manor next week. First time they played the course, so I was the guide. They played from the tips and got their asses kicked, even though they both had great games and 300 yard drives. Worthington will do that to those seeing it for the first time. It will eat you up and spit you out.

The combination of playing with those quality players and having them depend on me for direction really brought out my A game. Even with a double bogey on the toughest hole (3rd), I kept up with them and shot a 37 on the front nine, the tougher of the two nines (in theory). On the back I missed one approach shot by about one yard (short) and fell back into a bunker on 11 which cost me an easy par, then made poor contact with my 4 iron approach from the rough on the 12th, into hazard, with a penalty. Still saved bogey and managed a 39 on the back for a very nice 76 from the blue tees (6525 yards with a slope of 137). 71% fairways hit and 67% GIRs. The studs were quite impressed. I was too, but I acted like it's an everyday thing for me.

Course is playing tough and ready for the Open tournament beginning next Monday. The field is loaded with regional pros and top Ams. 3 rounds over three days for those who make the cut after two. They are playing at over 7100 yards, so even though, technically, my handicap is low enough to get in, there is no way I could compete at that distance.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 am

Nicely done @DougE ! :up

It does seem like we often play up or down to the level of the fellow players. Or do we just remember selectively?
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:58 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 am

It does seem like we often play up or down to the level of the fellow players. Or do we just remember selectively?
I play better when I'm paired with better players or by myself.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:48 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 am
Nicely done @DougE ! :up

It does seem like we often play up or down to the level of the fellow players.
It's so true. The better the player, the better I seem to play. I am usually much more focused. On the other hand, when I play with 15-20 handicappers, I usually play as if it doesn't matter even though I tell myself it does. One thing I have noticed is that when you play with guys who are not all that great, more socializing seems to go on, which takes me out of my game a bit.

By the 7th hole yesterday, I had earned respect from these two great players. They asked what my lowest score at WM ever was. I told them 74 in the winter. They were surprised. I think they were expecting me to say 69 or something. My confidence rose. I went on to birdie the tough par 3 8th, while they both bogeyed it. I had quite a nice day. Good golf is fun.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

Played Musket Ridge on Monday, one of the nicest courses in the area, outside of Worthington. About 20 minutes from my home. Beautiful course, on a par with Worthington, with magnificent views and exquisite conditions. It's only the 2nd time since I moved to Maryland that I have played this course, but I will definitely be playing it again....and again and again. (The first round of the Maryland Open was being played at Worthington, so it was a good opportunity to play elsewhere.)

I played with one of my regular golf buddies. My game continues to be fairly sharp. Really enjoyed the course, but had some trouble with their greens. There was nothing wrong with them. They rolled very true. The problem was me. I couldn't adjust to their slower speed, with nowhere near the break I am used to at Worthington. Probably missed out on at least a couple/few birdies simply by playing a foot of break, when I should have only played an inch or two. And, I came up less than 6 inches short with right-on-line putts more than once or twice, as well. A few more times around this track and I think I could actually score pretty well. Though the slope from the blue tees is only a couple points less than Worthington (135 vs.137 slope), it did not seem nearly as difficult. The greens are definitely more friendly once you can get used to their lack of break. They were running about a 9-10 and I typically like faster. 11-12. I can get used to 9-10 though.

I was cruising along nicely at 1 over par on the back, after shooting a 40 on the front, when I ran into the 15th and 16th holes, both of which get a little narrow off the tee with OB right. Got in my head and I over-corrected pulling the drive on the first one into a hazard area left, then I snap-hooked the drive on the next hole through trees to and through the adjacent left fairway and into another hazard area. Penalties on both holes cost me a chance at a respectable score. Carded an 80 when all was said and done. Happy, but anxious to get back there for another shot.

My buddy has a discount deal there, which I might consider for myself. For $150, you get 20% off the stated rates---whether weekend mornings, twilight midweek or any other posted rate---every round you play there plus a free anytime-round, including cart. If he refers me, we EACH get ANOTHER free anytime-round. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The place was not nearly as busy as Worthington since it is further away from the DC metro area. It was quiet and serene. As nice as Worthington is, it almost always feels busy, even when it's not. There regularly seems to be some activity going on in your vicinity that can affect your concentration. I only felt that one time during my round at Musket, when a worker drove behind a par 3 green while I was getting ready to hit from the tee. I tensed up a touch (not wanting to hit with him in range) and left my shot a foot short of the green. At Worthington, due to its wide open nature, there's always some sort of noise or activity going on within earshot or view. So Musket wins in that department. It really was peaceful out there.

If I buy one of these discount membership deals at Musket Ridge for $150, I would likely play it once or twice a month. Seems like a great option. Here's the link to the course if you're interested. https://www.musketridge.com/club/script ... 7489&NS=GC

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:25 am

Shot a 90 yesterday, it was hot. That is all.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 am

Made the concession to the heat of riding both times this weekend. Had a decent weekend and I'm feeling good in that my mental game seems to be getting stronger.

Saturday's target score was +10 but I was +4 after 3 and +7 after 9 with zero scrambles and 2 weak 3 putts. Held myself together and played a solid back nine to finish +9 which included a blown short birdie putt on 17 but a fabulous scramble on 18.

Sunday was the same. Target score +7 but was +5 after 7 and even that was due to sinking a long par putt. Somehow got in gear after that and finished +6 with the two bogeys being due to a weak 3 putt and a lip out after a fabulous chip on 18. Would like to start better and my putting cost me 3-4 strokes over the weekend but overall pleased with the results.

Won't make shot of the month but on the back 9 yesterday I had the sequence of the month:
#11 - blew drive way right. Benefited from hitting the trees but had 180 from the rough when usually I'm 125 out. Hit the shot too well and was on the green but 50 feet past hole. But plated routine 2 putt.
#12 - drive right into bunker on short par 4. Wedge onto the green. Routine 2 putt from 30.
#13 - drive so far right trees in play on short wide open par 4. Punched to front of the green. Chipped to 2 feet. Par.
#14 - 3 putt bogey
#15 - Drive slightly right. Went for par 5 in two and blew FW 50 yards right of green. Hit a wedge from the rough to 10 feet. Damn near almost made birdie.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:39 pm

I was hot this morning. Birdied three of the final four holes for a 77. Except for a putting lapse where I 3-putted three consecutive holes, everything was clicking.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Nice one @bkuehn1952! I had a good one myself today. It's an easier course and I play with some old guys (well, they are older than me!) from the white tees, and it's par 70. But I shot a nice 72 (2 over), with 11 GIRs, 12 pars, 2 birdies and 4 bogeys. The round also included a shanked chip, a 3-putt (missed a 3 footer) and a topped tee shot on a par 3 that only got about halfway there... So, not too bad. :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Wow, nice rounds guys.
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:23 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 pm
... I play with some old guys (well, they are older than me!)
:fk :fk

All that aside, well played @sjduffers . I truly believe that even on an "easy" layout one has to hit the shots in order to score. If just showing up guaranteed a good score, there would be a lot more golfers with single digit indexes.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 pm

sjduffers wrote:
I play with some old guys (well, they are older than me!) from the white tees...
Dems fightin' words :fk . They better be a WHOLE lot older'n you if you're callin 'em old. Like 85 or so.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:07 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 pm
sjduffers wrote:
I play with some old guys (well, they are older than me!) from the white tees...
Dems fightin' words :fk . They better be a WHOLE lot older'n you if you're callin 'em old. Like 85 or so.
Nah, they are only in their 70s. And they call me a long hitter, ah! :up :lolz :facepalm
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Surprised myself yesterday as my game has been lacking of late, but out of the blue shot a 72 on a par 71. 3 birds, 4 bogeys - had some good breaks and bad. Had 3 less than solid irons reach the green, but also had 3 lip outs. Only disappointment was on the par 5 18th - I thought I had a legit shot at reaching the green in two and was thinking eagle to end up under par, but came up short and then had too much adrenaline to chip it close. Still a top 5 round for me.

Then today went to my home course where recently I've been an inexplicably average player on the front and a great player on the back. Birdied the 7th hole to go -1 and the horn blew followed by a flash of lightning - from no where there was a huge down pour to wipe out the round. Big bummer.